Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quack! Said Jerusha

Looking for this book

I know this is a really old thread, but I am looking for a copy of the Bedtime Stories book with the "Quack! Said Jerusha" poem in it. If anyone has one they are willing to part with or knows where I can get one it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, I know and have the poem

So glad to see someone else's interest in this poem.
    But, the bad news is that I have my things in storage, and can only remember these opening stanzas:
    One morning when Jerusha woke she took her little leg
    and gave a sort of pokey poke and pushed away her egg.
    And when she walked/went into the world and looked around for luck,
    "Quack", said Jerusha, I seem to be a duck.

And then either the next or soon after:
    Jerusha went upon her way attired in bib and sack
    And ..... upon the railroad track
    When all at once an engine came and dumped her in the dirt,
    "Quack", said Jerusha, "I hope the train's not hurt"

Just so you know, I will be happy to transcribe/post the entire 20-stanza poem after I retrieve my things from storage, or if I find the carton containing this book (A Garden of Child's Verses) near the front of my storage unit.

I love this poem... and can't imagine that it has not been kept in the minds of children for the last fifty years. It is so positive and creative, and when I think of the limited audience, I am greatly saddened.

Please feel free to contact me directly at: [email protected]
    Please put "Jerusha" in the subject line so I know it isn't spam.

Quack! Said jerusha

To the person that has and shared the story of Jerusha a heartfelt thank you. I too have been looking for a copy of the poem for more years than I care to count. How ironic that a the grocery store yesterday a lovely small duck got my attention. Had to have her and brought her home. Of course, her name has become Jerusha. Asked her at that time " do you think I'll ever find a copy of your story little girl"? Within a couple hours I did. Once again, thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    To the person that has and shared the story of Jerusha a heartfelt thank you. I too have been looking for a copy of the poem for more years than I care to count. How ironic that a the grocery store yesterday a lovely small duck got my attention. Had to have her and brought her home. Of course, her name has become Jerusha. Asked her at that time " do you think I'll ever find a copy of your story little girl"? Within a couple hours I did. Once again, thank you so much.
    I can make xerox copy of the poem complete with illustrations from my book. If you are interested, just private-message me. Then you could read it to your little Jerusha duckling at bedtime every night like my Mother did for me.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

"Quack! said Jerusha

Quote Originally Posted by BSC View Post
    I sell children's books. I currently have 5 copies of the 1950s Whitman book which contains the poem: Quack said Jerusha. I know that these are old posts but just in case someone is still interested there are books out there. In 12 years of dealing in children's books, I have only seen two softbound copies of the story in a book alone.

Many Thanks
    I have been looking for the book for years if anyone still has a copy or would copy the pages and either email or send to me I would love to pay postage to have a copy of it with all the little pictures. I must have been pretty young because I sat on my babysitter's lap while she read it to me over and over. I had a copy of the 1950's book. Thank you! to who ever would respond.