Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quack! Said Jerusha

Quack! Said Jerusha

I am on a quest and hope maybe someone can help . . .

If anyone knows the words or can locate this children's poem for me I shall be eternally grateful!

It is called "Quack! Said Jerusha" written by Mildred Plew Merryman in the 1930's. Quite a lengthy poem about the charming experiences of a duckling upon breaking out of her shell. It was a favorite of mine as a little girl and I remember my Mother reading it to me many times over. I've had no luck finding anything on the internet. I have a feeling it was within a book of other nursery rhymes by various authors, which makes my search even more difficult . . .

It had such an impact that later in life when I had a pet duck (I hatched her myself in a little mail-away plastic incubator) I named her Jerusha. She imprinted on me as her mom and followed me everywhere. When she reached maturity I set her free to live on a farm with other duckies; last I heard she was happily sitting on a nest of eggs . . . this was many, many years ago.

Well, PetTalk people are the greatest, so I'm keeping my paws crossed that somebody will come through on this mission of mine . . . pretty please??
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

A little information...

Hi, AvaJoy ~

I tried searching for the book...
    Here's all I could find (from a college Prof's
    1994 thesis at Carnegie Mellon University):

"Quack! Said Jerusha" written by Mildred Plew Merryman

Mildred Plew Merryman = Author's full name

"Children's Stories" = title of Book

chapter "Quack! said Jerusha", pages 117­136.
    Indicates "Quack! said Jerusha" was a CHAPTER in the BOOK "Children's Stories".

Whitman Publishing Co., Racine, WI, 1950 = the Publisher

There are several search hits on the Chapter title and the author, and dozens of hits on the publisher ~
    BUT most of the hits lead to an article or web site WANTING a copy of the book! No web site I visited HAD a copy of the book.

You might try eBay - the auction site. (I didn't)

Good luck!
    /s/ Phred, the "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

the Rescued & Adopted FurKids of *Phred*

Thanks a bunch, Phred!!! That is more info. than I had previously . . . had a feeling it was in a compilation book . . . just to clarify, does the book "Children's Stories" contain works from other authors or solely Ms. Merryman? I knew it was a long poem, but 19 pages . . . WOW . . . as I recall there were many illustrations of all the ducky adventures (the tale weaves from birth to adultduckhood) and so the verse coupled with all the drawings must take up lots of space on the pages.

My longing to locate this story is fueled even more upon learning what you have uncovered . . .

Again, thank you SO much. I have run searches for simply "Jerusha" periodically on eBay, but to no avail . . . maybe I might have better luck searching for the words "Children's Stories" instead. [/CODE]
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

I'm dying to know and share the story now.....Avajoy you have my hopes up!! Please let us know if you find anything.

Logan

OK! Here's the rest of the story...

AvaJoy ~

Here's some nuggets I left out...

Here is the Prof's thesis...
    Thesis that quotes "Guack!..." as a Reference
    Note: It's a Computer Graphical Drawing thesis - I have no idea how or where he used Merryman's "Quack!" writings in it! (I did NOT read the entire thesis!) But it's reference "[Mer50]" IS cited on thesis references page 243.

"[Mer50] Mildred P. Merryman. Children’s Stories, chapter “Quack!” said Jerusha, pages
    117–136. Whitman Publishing Co., Racine, WI, 1950.
    "

And here is where the Prof is NOW:
    Prof's current home page
    You might try e-mailing him to see if he remembers how he used the book in his thesis - and ask if he ever had or HAS his own copy.

As for your question ~
    His reference citation doesn't really SAY if she authored the entire book - but it appears that she might have. I couldn't find any hits on the Publisher - no company web site came up. Can't tell if they are still in business.

This could become a Major Pet Talk Project!
    /s/ Phred, the "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

the Rescued & Adopted FurKids of *Phred*

I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY!

I took your advice, Phred, and got the Prof's email address from his home page, despite my computer warning me that I had performed an illegal operation, blah, blah, blah and freezing the site. I tried accessing it from both his thesis page and also from the URL link you so kindly provided; still I got the illegal notice, but managed to quickly jot down his email and then composed a short plea and lo and behold - I can hardly believe it!! - he answered back and YES, he still has the book packed away with his wife's keepsakes and he will gladly scan the poem and send it to me!!!!! I can barely contain my anticipation - I feel like a kid on Xmas Eve!

Phred, you are indeed a Prince among men, and I am most beholden . . . thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

Logan, I will happily send you a copy if you want when it arrives!
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Ava Joy, I am so, so happy for you. I too, roamed around trying to find it for you somehow on the internet, but to no avail.

When you do receive it - could you share it with us if it isn't too long or difficult for you to do.

I too, have a favorite book from childhood called Miss Hickory, but fortunately I was able to find a copy as an adult.

It was fun looking for it though, so thank you for posting this and HUGE thanks also to Phred for his hard work.

GREAT NEWS AVAJOY

GREAT WORK PHRED

Lynne

What great work, Phred!!!! And yes, Avajoy, I'd love a copy, so let me know when you get it!!!

Quack said Jerusha

I sell children's books. I currently have 5 copies of the 1950s Whitman book which contains the poem: Quack said Jerusha. I know that these are old posts but just in case someone is still interested there are books out there. In 12 years of dealing in children's books, I have only seen two softbound copies of the story in a book alone.

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BSC
    I sell children's books. I currently have 5 copies of the 1950s Whitman book which contains the poem: Quack said Jerusha. I know that these are old posts but just in case someone is still interested there are books out there. In 12 years of dealing in children's books, I have only seen two softbound copies of the story in a book alone.

Many Thanks

Wow, I remember when AvaJoy first asked this question. I looked
    and searched for days to find an answer.

BSC, It would be great if you sent a PM to her so she doesn't miss this
    older thread. Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

quack said jerusha

Many Thanks
    I would love a copy of this book. Please let me know how to obtain a copy!

quack said jerusha

I have received responses to my post; however, I do not have any copies of the book Children's Stories with the poem Quack said Jerusha. I am trying to purchase a copy. Please help me if you can!

Many Thanks
    I would love to have a copy!!!! I, too, have been searching for years for a copy of this poem!! It was one my Mom and I read together over and over..it was (and still is) a favorite.

Please send me more info on how I can reach you and get a copy! Thanks to you all, this is the first info I have found and I have been searching for years!!!

Thanks and help

Please send me info on how to get a copy...i have been searching for years...it is one of my childhood favorites and my Mom and I used to read it together all the time. She is now 84 and I would love to get a copy for us to read together with my daughter!!

Thanks to you all...this is the first info I have seen on this poem and I have been searching a long while!!

Peace