Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbie AGAIN!! Please be OK kitty!!! :(

Robbie AGAIN!! Please be OK kitty!!! :(

omegosh now Robbie has swallowed one of my PILLS The cats are always playing and batting at me when I go to fill my weekly pillcase and a few minutes ago Robbie was on the counter so Dennis grabbed him to take him away and said he heard a crunch in Robbie's mouth- well I looked an YES a pill was missing. Called the vet and they had to call an emergency pet poison line and also said to quickly give him a teaspoon of peroxide and repeat every 10 minutes until it came up. Did this while waiting for a return call and yes he vomited almost right away and I found the half of the large capsule but it had started to dissolve already and had come apart but Robbie vomited quite a bit. The vet called back and had reached the poison line and now told me I probably have no worries but he may get quite sleepy if he started to absorb the medicine - it was my Neurontin 300mg capsule which is an anticonvulsant. Would you believe while I was calling the vet he then *opened* my pillcase!! Nothing missing this time.

Now I will know not to leave it out and also keep this phone number handy - you guys may want to have this handy also. It is a $35 charge to your credit card...
    1-800-213-6680 and is a toxicology line for pet poisoning.

Omegosh - what a crazy few days. I always was so careful when my kids were small and thought I was over that to some degree although the kittens showed us to be so careful of little things on the ground and all....Robbie is worse than a toddler I think!!

Please pray that Robbie is OK He is now in the bathroom and I just put Lizzie in with him because he was howling. Robbie has given me some grey hair this week I think - I posted here just a few days ago about him hurting his leg. Please be OK Robbie!! I am so glad the vet was still there half days on Saturday. Thank God for that. And please write down that number up there - it is near my phone now.

edit: Ok he seems fine - not sleepy or anything so maybe all the medicine came out. Now I want to faint myself. Fixed all the typos here I think
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 08-06-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Good grief, that is scary! Looks like your swift action has avoided a tragedy. Prayers on the way.
    {{hugs}}

Thank god Robbie appears to be okay! I wrote down the number, because if that every happened to me, I might be freaking out too bad to be able to think to look up the number.
    That must have been quite the scare!!

Glad he is ok.
    What is sad if the #800 was for humans (National Poision Control) it would be for free. Glad there is an organization out there to help us pet owners nice if the price was lower or free.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Prayers are on the way, Debbie. My god, Grover is always trying to play with my meds, that sure makes me think right there that I had better be more careful! Thanks for the wakeup call, Debbie!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Oh how they love tiny things that make noise. Prayers headed your way.

Shell's Angel's

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Oh Robbie! I'm glad he appears to be fine now, but what a scare! Of course just try to give him a pill that's really for him! Ah kids!

Thanks for the reminder too, as I had forgotten to give Mishi his meds this a.m.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Omegosh is right! How utterly scary! Glad everythign came out ok... I'd have utterly panicked!

Robbie - stop scaring your meowmie!

Quick update here. Robbie is fine now - no effects at all so all or most of the medication must have come right up. I never did SEE the other half capsule so it must have dissolved. I called jazzcat and we talked a LONG time on the phone while I calmed down

She gave me another poison number that she got from the ASPCA. I don't know if it is free or not but will also keep it for reference. $35 really is not so bad as the man was a toxicologist and I can also call him back for free with the same case number and that is good to know. Anyway - the number from Lori for ASPCA Poison Control is 1-888-426-4435 They even sent her a sticker to keep it on the phone - with donation to the organization they send things like this. Hope this helps someone as BOTH numbers are now by my phone

I am glad that Dennis picked Robbie up right away and noticed the crunch sound because I never thought he would actually EAT a pill! It is a HUGE capsule!! Yes RedHedd - try to GIVE him some tiny pill he needs and I would be wrestling him. I may not have even checked as I did not think he had time or access to my pill. But, up it did come back up so this can sure happen quickly. I would not have known about the peroxide to bring something up either - but it was one teaspoon or 5cc/ml in the syringe. If he did not throw up right away I was to repaet every ten minutes though the vet said one dose is usually enough.

Thanks all - so glad for PT and calling PetTalkers at times like this.

Robbie is AWFUL!! Clumsy, pesky, annoying and I love him so much

edit: According to the ASPCA Poison Control website, the number I indicated above indicates "a $50 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card"
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 08-06-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Just got around to reading this thread and I'm so glad Robbie is okay...finally! I can't imagine a cat WILLINGLY ingesting a pill!? Usually it's a struggle to give them anything when they're ill.

It's also a reminder to me to make sure I close my weekly pill dispenser tightly!!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

WE ARE GLAD,THAT THE ADDAGE,CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT,DI NOT TAKE PLACE,AS WE LOVE ROBBIE,AND DONT WANT ANYTHING BAD,TO HAPPEN,TO HIM,EVER.
    AND I WILL BE A LOT MORE CAREFUL,MYSELF,WHEN TAKING,MY MEDICINES,AS THE FOUND CATS,ARE USUALLY,AT MY ELBOW,ESPECIALLY SCRAPPY 2,AND GCK,AND WILL EAT ANYTHING.
    LAST WEEEK,SCRAPPY 2,ATE A RUBBER BAND,AND PASSED IT,THE SAME DAY.
    SILLY KITTEN,WITH ALL THAT FOOD,AROUND.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am so glad that Robbie is OK!! Who would have thought!! You try to shove a pill down their throat and they spit it out, but when you don't want them to have one they help themselves! I have spent more time on hands and knees looking for vitamins my husband drops saying they wouldn't eat them anyway, but you never know! Glad everything is OK!! Robbie, you have got to be a good boy!! Meowmie is worrying herself sick over you!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

BIG drops of sweat poured off me when I read what he had done...

PHEW!!

Robbie is now a "pillhead"?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Debbie,

That must've had you out of your MIND with worry!!!

Years ago one of my cats (not sure) chewed one of my Effexors (an anti-depressant). They didn't swallow it or anything but it was pretty smushed up on the floor. My vet said to just keep an eye on all of them. I was very lucky in that nothing happened to any of them.

I'm just glad that Robbie will be okay.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks again everyone! Robbie is happy as can be tonight. (little brat!! )

Maybe next time I have to pill him for something, I can just drop it on the floor or put in in a pillcase????