Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to the movies on Tuesday...

I'm going to the movies on Tuesday...

... for the first time in around 30 plus years!

The last film I went to see was starring Elvis, the live in Las Vegas one, so you can see how long ago it was. Heck, I guess more than a few of you hadn't even been born then!

Oh, the film I'm going to see? It is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

Chris

I can't say I saw the Elvis one at the movies, but I did see the original "Charlie" at the theater.
    I hope you enjoy it Chris, I dare say you will find the seats a tad more comfy.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Originally posted by Oggyflute
    ... I dare say you will find the seats a tad more comfy.
    Really!? I'll let you know.

Mmmmmm... Johnny Depp...

Have you seen any Tim Burton films? If not, you might want to watch one or two before you see this one. He's odd, but it works for this movie - if you like his style.

Sounds good to me. Hope you have a great time. I can't
    remember the last time I saw a movie at a theatre.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I hope you enjoy it. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are both weirdos, but, that's why I love their collaborations. And, almost anything they do separately, too. Let us know what you thought of the movie. I started a thread in general when I saw the film, that's how much I wanted to talk about it.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I know you love Depp.. and I think he's attractive, too.. but I absolutely disliked this movie. I regret spending my money to see it.

I guess it's just I LOVED the original movie SO much that I don't think it should try to be remade. A lot of my favorite parts in the original (OOMPA LOOMPA SONG!!) aren't in the new movie.
    I thought it was cheesey, that's all.

Although, i'm not huge Depp fan either. The only movie he's been in that i've REALLY adored was Edward Scissorhands.

I wasn't really interested in going to see this film, thought I'd wait for the DVD. But then I saw the trailer, and then the documentary, 'The making of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' , changed my mind and now I can't wait! It looks like fun, I know it was fun to make.

I'd thought that last week was the last of the run here and was non to pleased that I couldn't go see it. Then today I saw it was still playing so I went ahead and booked tickets. Two, one for me and one for my grandaughter, (she was suprised and so happy), for Tuesday, 2pm. Fingers crossed nothing happens to stop us from going.

Kay, I have never seen the Wilder version all the way through, just bits here and there, and it never took my interest. So I guess I've got a different take on it.

Chris

Hey, Chris, did you ever read the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Did you see the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie with Gene Wilder? The Gene Wilder version is nothing like the book, but, the Johnny Depp version is. I love all three, though. I just adore the concept of the chocolate factory and all the naughty kids getting what they deserve, and, the sweet, poor Charlie winning everything. The only thing really different about the new movie compared to the book is that Tim Burton added an extra dimension to it by flashing back to Willy's childhood and why he's so obsessed with chocolate and candy to begin with. It's interesting. Not necessary, but, interesting. The beginning of the ending is way different, but, the very end is pretty much like the book. (Hope that makes sense) The oompa loompas sing a lot in this movie, but, that's what they did in the book, too. I mean, the lyrics in the movie are verbatim, taken straight off the pages of Roald Dahl's book. It was so weird, because I read the book recently, considerably later than I saw the Gene Wilder version, and, was amazed at how many things were different. It's no wonder Roald Dahl didn't like the movie. I love it, I grew up loving it. But, there were so many things that weren't in the Wilder version, that should have been and so many things that they added. Like the whole scene where Charlie and Grandpa Joe have to burp to get down so they don't get chopped up by the ceiling fans or whatever...sorry, it's been awhile since I watched the Gene Wilder version. But, I kept waiting to get to that part in the book, but, they barely mention that room at all! Anyway, sorry for rambling, I love the book and both films, and, I'm a flibbertigibbet, so, I talk too much. Ok, tell us what you think when you get back from the movies!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally posted by ChrisH
    Kay, I have never seen the Wilder version all the way through, just bits here and there, and it never took my interest. So I guess I've got a different take on it.

Chris
    Ah, so you answered part of my question by saying this to kay. I have been typing my response for a bit, sorry I missed this.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    The only movie he's been in that i've REALLY adored was Edward Scissorhands.
    me too

Listen Chris - just go to see the movie and love it!! Hope you and your grand daughter have a real good time together.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too! (When I've persuaded Don - he gets fed up when I drool over Johnny Depp!! )

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

finn's mom, I haven't read the book either!

Kay & beeniesmom, I haven't seen Edward Scizzorhands yet either! It is on my DVD rental list but the club decides in which order they are sent out, maybe I'll get that next week.

Benny and Joon was one of this weeks JD films, I so loved it I've gone and bought it! (my excuse to myself was that it is on discount. )

Oh, Chris! I love Edward Scissorhands, that's one of my favorite movies, not even just a favorite Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie. Just one of my all time favorites. Edward will just break your heart, he's such a wonderful, pure character. When you watch it, these are my favorite parts: when he's trying to put men's clothes on, and, he can't get the shirt on! OMG, that makes me cry every time, the look on his face! Ugh. And, when he drinks "lemonade" with the dad of the house one night (it's actually alcohol), and, the next morning, the neighbor brings actual lemonade to him. Ha ha ha ha, the way he says "lemonade?" and the look on his face, oh, man. That cracks me up! Johnny Depp is genius in that movie! I've pounced on everything he's in since then.

It's cool that you haven't read the book. This will be interesting, then...to see what you think of the movie, not being tempted to compare it to the book or the first film. Cool. I hope you like it, especially since you haven't been to the theater in so long! I'd hate for you not to enjoy your first movie back! That'll be cool to be with your grand daughter, how old is she?

Originally posted by lynnestankard
    Listen Chris - just go to see the movie and love it!! Hope you and your grand daughter have a real good time together.

Oh, I will, and we will!

I'm looking forward to seeing it too! (When I've persuaded Don - he gets fed up when I drool over Johnny Depp!! )

Guess I'm lucky, I can drool away to my hearts content!
    finn's mom, Dannielle is nine, or, as she states (in an aggrievated tone) nine and threequarters! By the way, she is a big JD fan too, of course that's mostly because of Captain Jack!