Thread: Update on Duncan's Limp

Update on Duncan's Limp

First, I apologize for not posting sooner...I sincerely did not mean to leave anyone worrying about us....My computer is very unpredictable and some days will not work at all. I have no idea why?? I just keep turning it on and off all day long hoping it will work and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't...?
    Second, for some reason I can't post a reply on the thread I started...it keeps bringing me to the AOL search page????? (I am SURE it is my computer, not Pet Talk that is the problem...) (If someone could link the old thread to this or vice versa?, I would appreciate it... )
    Anyway, we have not been to the vet as of yet...I talked to the property manager and got her vet's name as well as one of the other residents here with a large dog..I called to get an appt at both but they said they cannot see me until Monday...I guess they don't consider it an emergency? Duncan is NOT limping now. We have not gone for our usual long walks however, just short jints around the neighborhood so he can do his business and then home. I think I have deternined that it is his left leg that bothers him however. There is a fairly steep hill that we walk down everyday and yesterday, he went down it kind of sideways, putting most of the weight on his right front leg. Perhaps I should have lied to the vets and told them he is still limping so that I could get in sooner but I didn't....I have searched his entire body again for ticks...in fact, every time, I see him lick a spot or scratch, I run over to him and examine the spot! He must think I've gone mad!
    Pam, one of the guys in the neighborhood told me that his parents Dalmation was diagnosed with Lyme disease. In fact, he mentioned it to me weeks ago. I had stopped to talk to him when I was walking Duncan one day. The man had just gotten a boxer puppy and wanted to practice his socialization with other dogs. I was telling him how Duncan is not a good candidate for helping him since he is not very dog-friendly lately. I was telling him how Duncan seems to be acting even MORE aggressive and disobedient since we moved. I had chalked it up to all the stress of the move. But this guy asked me about Lyme disease then. He said that his parent's dalmation started acting more aggressive than usual and they took him to the vet and that is how they discovered the Lyme disease...Is this another symptom, do you know?
    Well, I will find out Monday...I appreciate everyone's concern and well-wishes and will update ASAP. If the computer here doesn't cooperate, the library is open Monday so I will go there to check in....
    Thanks again! Jennifer and Duncan

Oh good! I am glad that everything is okay for now! It is sounding more and more like Lyme's Disease, which is VERY treatable. Sally (rizzy's dog on PT) has just gotten or is getting off antibiotics for Lyme's disease!
    I will post in the other thread that nothing is terribly wrong that you know of, and to look here!

Steph and Jes
    Prayers and hopes are being sent, and many hugs!

Hope Duncan gets better real soon Jennifer.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

I will keep Duncan in my thoughts.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thanks for the update Jen. I'm glad to hear he's not limping now (but of course that doesn't mean he's better now does it).
    I'll be waiting to hear the outcome of your vet visit on Monday. Until then I hope you both have a good weekend

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I just checked your other thread and it referred me here so I decided to post here rather than add to the other long thread. Sort of giving that thread a rest! I was so worried when you didn't check back in, and I'm sorry to hear about all of your computer problems.

Bella's limp was intermittent as well so I still wouldn't rule out Lyme disease. In fact that is why the vet suggested Lyme first even before he tested her because the limp can come and go. Apparently that is sort of a "red flag." Regarding aggressiveness due to Lyme's, here is a quote from a page on Lyme disease. Note the sentence I put in bold. Fortunately that didn't happen with Bella since she was diagnosed and treated immediately. I think that is a symptom for a dog who has had the disease and it has gone undetected for a long time.

LYME DISEASE IN DOMESTIC ANIMALS

Lyme disease has been described in dogs, cats, horses cows and goats. Symptoms can include fever, lameness and soreness, listlessness, loss of appetite, swollen glands and joints. Heart, kidney, liver, eye and nervous system problems are also described in animals. Laminitis is reported in horses and cows, as are poor fertility, abortions and chronic weight loss. Temperament changes have been reported in dogs and horses. Untreated animals can develop chronic progressive arthritis.

Symptoms can be intermittent and vary in intensity from mild to quite severe and can mimic many other conditions. If you suspect Lyme disease in your animals consult your veterinarian as soon as possible.

This is where I got the info.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu...saic/lyme.html
    I hope you can get Duncan in to see the vet on Monday. If he does have the disease he will be started on antibiotics and within a month should be on his way to recovery. Please keep checking in so we may follow his progress.

Most likely NOT lyme disease

Although lameness are one of the symptoms of Lyme disease, it's not the only symptom. Most prevalent are symptoms that include anorexia, fever, and lethargy. Lameness may occur with these symptoms, or subsequent to them. One might also expect to find lameness in multiple locations, along with definite swellings in the joints including lymph nodes.

You indicate that you use to live in an area devoid of Lyme disease. The disease has an incubation period of usually 2 months minimum, with a more usual incubation period of 5-6 months. Thus the time factor having just moved into this area 30 days ago doesn't fit the incubation period, unless your dog picked up the Lyme in your previous place of residence.

You also indicated in your first post the dog had been limping about 2 weeks ago, and then stopped. Then after a rough play session the dog yelped and came out limping. It sounds more like the dog has a ligament or connective tissue injury that started to heal, and then got reinjured. Recently the limp has decreased, and concurrent with the decrease of limping you admit that there have not been any long walks. Quite possibly the less exercise the better at this point.

As for the agression around other dogs that could be tied into pain due to injury. The problem with dogs is that sometimes they are just too stoic. But like us humans when in pain dogs do not prefer to socialize too much. The move to the new environment could also be contributing to it. After all your dog has no idea as to where it fits relative to other dogs in the new neighborhood.

There's certainly nothing wrong with getting your dog tested for Lyme on Monday since you are now in an area where it's endemic. If sero-negative then your Vet may try a short course treatment with Prednisone and/or a doggy NSAID to also relieve the inflammation and pain. Connective tissue injuries can take a long time to heal.

WOW! Thanks for all the info ladies. And again, I apologize for the delay...Collin has been "after" me to get a J O B, and I really do need one... so I have been super busy with that, as well as the computer probs and recent ex-landlord probs (UURRGGHH!!!! Angry face!!)
    Anyway, Duncan went to the vet on Monday. The vet seems to think his behavior is a "prior leg injury" although I have no idea how that would happen without my noticing...Seriously, he is never without me...We have no yard...we walk on measured leashes everywhere...
    Whatever, I am never happy with new vets...I never think that they do enough as they feel they have no "vested interest" in the animal as we are not from here....It really bothers me... I should speak up more too so I can blame myself also...
    The vet did take blood however. But we did not do the X-Rays. Honestly, $$ is tight since I am not working and I told him to wait on those for the results of the test. We walked for about 1 1/2 miles tonight, no limping noticed....(Funny story: I took the "shortcut" over and over again in case he looked umcomfortable or started limping and we were far from home...Well, these people were having a garage sale and saw us walk by 3 times! They must have thought I was interested in something they had for sale! I felt stupid but....)
    So that is where we are....

Dragondawg, you have lots of good info...We are from NY and Lyme is very rare where we are from but we did live in NJ for 6 months and apparently, it is common there...who knew? Now, in PA, it's like an epidemic...I think there are more deer here than people!
    Duncan has been eating fine lately. BUT, right after I got him home from the kennel in Jersey back in May, he DIDN'T eat for a few days, had a fever and slept a TON. I just thought that it was because he was exhausted from the kennel and the stress....Maybe it was...I DO NOT want him to have Lyme disease but I also don't want him to have some problem that can't be fixed.... And Lyme can be... so I guess that is the best of the options...besides just a leg sprain...(fingers crossed!)
    RE: the aggression: He would probably LOVE to play with other dogs. BUT I can't take the chance....He bit another dog in the eye months ago and since then, I just can't let him around other dogs....I think it makes him MORE aggressive to keep him away if anything..but what can I do???? I can't take the chance of another dog getting hurt you know?
    So anyway....let's hope it's his mother's paranoia.... Thanks everyone!!

Thanks for the update, I hope Duncan continues to do well!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I was waiting for an update! I am so glad that Duncn is doing well, and it isn't turning out to be anything horrible!

Don't give your mum such a scare Duncan, she loves you too much for you to do this!

Steph and Jes

OK, once again, I apologize for the delay...My computer wtopped working AGAIN!! This time the keyboard wouldn't work...this thing is a nightmare and I can't wait to get a new one. Anyway, after fiddling with the cords for about 30 minutes tonight, I finally got it to work again...
    GOOD NEWS! Duncan does NOT have Lyme disease!! YEAH!! We actually went to a different vet Saturday morning. I was talking to some other neighbors and they told me that there is a test called a SNAP test that the vet can do and get results immediately (the prior vet never even mentioned it!?) Also, he started shaking his head a lot on Friday and acting strange so I wanted to take him in again...
    He has an ear infection in his right ear. The vet said they are pretty common with this hot, humid weather we have been having. So he is on ear drops for that. And we got him shot one of the Lyme vaccine. He has to go back in 3 weeks for the second one.
    The vet told me that the state park right down the street from our house is INFESTED with Lyme disease!! I guess the state tested ticks from all over and at that place, EVERY SINGLE TICK tested was positive for Lyme!!!!!!!! We have been there like 8 or 9 times! Needless to say we won't be going again! I asked if we could still go hiking and stuff and he said it would be ok but to wait until it cools off and go in the fall...kind of sucks...all these trails and beautiful places to go and I can't take him...what a bummer.
    Re: the leg injury...he said to take him on shorter walks and build up slowly to the long ones we usually take and just watch for anymore limping. I haven't seen it in awhile now. He thinks it was a sprain but we will do xrays next time I go if I notice it again. The vet was really good with Duncan, taking the time to get to know him and for Duncan to be comfortable with him. It was nice because then we didn't have to muzzle him like we usually do at the vet's office. I hate having to do that to him....
    So all in all, so far so good!