Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot and Mouth....again?????

Foot and Mouth....again?????

I have been snowed under this evening by emails from friends and those people that responded to all your goodwill messages throughout last summer.

A farm in North Yorkshire has reported a suspected case of Foot and Mouth!!!!!!!
    The two sheep with suspect lesions have been slaughtered, movement restrictions are in place around the farm, samples have been sent for analysis and all contacts with the farm are being traced.

The same farm lost all stock in forced slaughter at the begining of last years outbreak.

I can not begin to comprehend how they are dealing with this.

Last week I was getting emails saying that it was a year since the outbreak started and it was a good thing that this can only happen once in a life of farming. (The whole country was declared free of disease some weeks ago.) Now I have two emails that say people have already arranged for all stock to go to slaughter and they are giving up for good. Many more are saying the same thing, at least 22 who lost all animals last time round, over 20 that escaped but came close, if this becomes confirmed.

Our weather has been dreadful for many weeks - lots of flooding again, strong winds and no sign of let up - perfect for spreading this disease.

I have been telling everyone to wait for the test results to come through - It could be that the sheep were victims of the weather conditions - Stay in touch and as soon as anyone knows anything is confirmed, be it good or bad, to let me know and I will pass it on - Whatever the grapevine reports WAIT for official news!

Most of the emails I have are from those that were sent your messages of support during the outbreak last year and they wanted me to keep you informed.

As soon as we have any more news, one way or another, I will let you all know. Keep your fingers crossed - a thing most of us feel really guilty about. We want you to wish that the animals were suffering lesions because of oversight and bad weather rather than disease...... a pretty horrible wish to have, isn't it?

Oh, NO!!!

How devestating! Will hold the farmers and animals of U.K. in my thoughts and prayers. I read the article really quickly. If the news is good, the tests will confirm it in up to 4 days, bad news noted faster? Although the anxiety must be intense, hoping for a delay in the test results coming in.

Hang in there!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Oh Carrie, I hope the tests come back negative. Will keep you and your farming friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much - it is great to be able to send such quick messages of support.

Oh Carrie, how I will pray that the tests come back negative.

All of our heartfelt thoughts go out to you, the farms and animals.

You will have my prayers also. I hope this is not starting again. How devastating. Please keep us updated.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Oh Carrie, I am so sorry and let us all hope and pray that the tests come back negative. Those people have been through so much sorrow, it is not fair for this to happen. Please tell them that we are thinking of them and hoping for the best. We will say a little prayer and keep our fingers and paws crossed for them till we hear the answer.
    Jackie

I am heartbroken, reading this, Carrie. Please tell your friends that they, and their animals, are in our prayers.

I can't believe I'm reading this! I was so hoping that this tragedy was over. It' so unfair, how much more can this people take?

I will pray very hard that this is only a false alarm. Please keep us posted.

Former User Guest
    So far so good, read BBC

Fingers crossed here too.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I saw it on BBC world this morning. They said that as long as there are no results for the next few days, the chances are good that it's not F & M.

Oh no, Carrie. This just can't happen, not again That poor, poor farmer! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and I will pray for the best.

Gosh I hope and pray it's not foot and mouth again. You are just starting to rebuild, another outbreak would be beyond terrible.

Initial test have proved negative!
    Final tests due in around four days but it is looking good!

YEA!!!!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for only good news....

Prayers are being offered that this is not Foot and Mouth. Carrie, Please let the farmers know we do care and they are on the top of our prayer list for a positive answer that this is NOT happening again.