Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireman yelled at me!

Fireman yelled at me!

OH, the drama that goes on at my apartment complex. Last night anout 7pm, I heard people yellling outside my door. So of course I opened it to see what was going on, and the hallway was filled with smoke. I ran back inside grabbed Joey and put him in his carrier, next was Beth - in she went to her carrier, then there's Lulu. I must has scared her with my running around, she dove right under the bed. I had to pull her out ny her front arms I felt bad for doing so, but she WAS COMING WITH ME!! Grabed my purse and out the door I went in my pj bottoms , no shoes, cat carrier in each had, and Lulu's carrier around my neck. What a sight I was! My poor babies were so frightened, they were all crying. After everyone got out of their apartments, the firefighter told me that I should have left my cats in the apartment and just got myself out. I know he was only thinking of my safety but it really pissed me off! Yea right, like I am going to leave my kids in a burning apartment, call me crazy! Turns out that the "crack" lady that lives downstairs, was smoking "something" in her master closet and it set on fire! They arrested her last night, hopefully they will keep her for a while. Everyone else's apartments were fine. After I was able to get back into my place, I let my babies out and they all ran under the bed, didn't see them again for about 2 hrs. They seemed fine this morning, all acting like their old selves. At least k now I know that I can get them and my selfout in under a minute.Hopefully we won't have any more fire drills for a long time.

Janine
    Beth
    Lulu
    Joey

My that must of been scary. I'm glad no one was injured & it was a mild fire.
    I understand where the fireman was coming from but I don't blame you one bit. I would of done the same thing.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh my! That had to be heart pounding! I honestly don't know what I'd do. I don't have enough carriers for everyone. I have enough harnesses and leashes... will I be able to get them on in time? Highly doubtful.

Glad you were able to think and react fast!

Originally posted by catnapper
    Oh my! That had to be heart pounding! I honestly don't know what I'd do. I don't have enough carriers for everyone. I have enough harnesses and leashes... will I be able to get them on in time? Highly doubtful.

Glad you were able to think and react fast!
    Pillow carriers make decent enough cat carriers in emergency situations. The shelter I used to volunteer at would use them if they needed to evacuate everyone.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

How scary! If I couldn't get them into carriers fast enough, I'd open windows and try to spook them towards it. Rather find them outside and safe from the fire than leave them to die.

Glad everyone is okay.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I would probably have done the same...

This has always been a fear of mine. We have 24 cats and I'm afraid we could never round them all up in time. I hope this is something we never have to worry about. There are pet stickers you can put in your windows to let Fireman know how many animals are in your home.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Well I would have done the same thing and taken all the kids with me as well. I'm so glad that you and everyone else is OK.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I also have a sticker in the front window to alert the firepeople of my furry kids inside. And, I would have rounded them up also before getting myself out! I wouldn't have even thought twice. I like the idea of using pillow cases since my girls would be much easier persuaded to run into a pillow case (they are wonderful fun to play in!) than their carriers! Hope I never have to make the choice, but in case, it is a great idea to have a plan in place!

Re: Fireman yelled at me!

Originally posted by may51380
    At least k now I know that I can get them and my selfout in under a minute.Hopefully we won't have any more fire drills for a long time.
    Oh well done!!! I would have done exactly the same myself! The fireman obviously don't have any furkids, otherwise he'd be more understanding (or maybe he's just following the "procedures" a bit to harshly). Good on ya! And hope the "problem" woman stays away for the longest time!

Best wishes, Sylvie, KS' mom
    Thank you joanofark for my fab new avatar!

Turns out that the "crack" lady that lives downstairs, was smoking "something" in her master closet and it set on fire!
    You've got one of those crack HOs in your apartment too??? So do I! I USED to feel safe in this place but I don't anymore. She's got "traffic" going in and out of her apartment at all hours of the night. It's pathetic!

I'm so glad you and your furbabies got out safely and that hopefully, the HO is outta your building for good.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I would have done the same thing. I keep the furbies carriers in easy reach just in case and I have one of those stickers on my windows too. I hope I never have the occasion to implement an emergency escape plan, but it's good to have one just in case.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Well I talked to my friend George, who is a firefigher/EMT for the same station that was at the apartment last night. He knew who it was that told me to leave my cats. George said that the guy hates any kind of animal and is a real pain in the you know what. I did find out that those stickers you guys were talking about, are really important to have. He said he always looks for the stickers when going into a home/apt. I plan on getting one ASAP! I am just glad that I was home last night, when this was all happening. I love my furkids!

Janine
    Beth
    Lulu
    Joey

You are a good meowmie. It always upsets me (living in Tx) when the tornado sirens go off, I put all three of mine in one large carrier and grab my purse. My husband tells me they will be fine they are use to protecting themselves. HAH I say they have only know about 3 to 5 weeks without their meowmie there to protect them. They have never fended for themselves. Heck if the food bowl goes empty..... the world is coming to an end at my house. So bravo meowmie.

I used to live in TX too. Beth and Lulu are my texas cats. I know how those sirens are, very scary. What gets me is last night NOT ONE siren went off! Not the alarm in the apartment that was on fire, and the building alarm never went off either. Good thing I looked out the door, other wise I would have not know what was going on! I sure do hope that gets fixed. And they still haven't replaced the fire extinguishers that were lost in last years' hurricanes. I think I will be making some phone calls to the main office! Thanks to everyone for listening to my rants! You guys are the best!

Janine
    Beth
    Lulu
    Joey