Thread: Good News!!!

Good News!!!

Well, I've found a medicine that I can afford for Digby and Romulus. For their dysplasia, they need a thing called Glucosamine. The problem is that it costs a fortune! So I checked around and found some stuff which will only cost R300 per month for both of them (just to give everyone an idea, that is 5% of my salary!)

Well, at least they'll have a better quality of life.

I'm glad you've found something affordable so that the poochies don't suffer. You might check at the pet stores in Johannesburg for dog food that had Glucosomine and Chondroitin (spelling?) That's what we feed our dogs since we have 15 of them and they play a lot. I have a friend that lives in Johannesburg too...she's my email pal and she has dogs so maybe she can give me some ideas where you might go and get food with that stuff in it. Good luck!!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I'm really pleased for you and your furkids! I'm sure you must have been so worried knowing that there is something that could help them but not being able to afford it.

Michelle:
    That's really good news. I'm so happy to know that there is something you can do to keep Digby and Romulus without pain.
    My best wishes for them, with many hugs and kisses.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Thanks everyone! Right now I'm putting them onto a local diet dog food. It is designed by a local vet/dog nutritionalist? so hopefully it should get their weight down a bit more!

I'm lucky that I have a fantastic landlord who lives on the 2 1/2 acres next to me and has 5 GSD's, one with cruciate ligament injury. He does work for a lady at the SPCA and she gives him food at cost. Anyway, he said he'll buy for us too! He's sooo nice!!!!

Some folks feel that the Glucosomine and Chondroitin are very helpful. Others are skeptical - so watch your special babies and see if it helps.

I know several humans that have been helped - and a few that just didn't get any relief at all. Go figure!

Best wishes in your quest for a comfortable and healthy life for your pups!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

My boys are not yet at the stage where they are sore all the time, and from what I understand, the glucosamine is more a preventative, like a vitimin? Our biggest problem at the moment is finding the best balance of excercise, you know what 3 year old Labs are like?! And around water?!!!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll watch them. I wish I could give them Rimadyl...