View Poll Results: How would you feel if you were picked for a random search?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problem, But I still don't feel safe

12 17.65%
  • No problem, It's some kind of a deterrent

30 44.12%
  • It's a problem to me!

10 14.71%
  • I really don't care

19 27.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I feel violated..."

"I feel violated..."

I was watching the news and there seems to be a certain section of people who are against the 'random' searches that the NYPD is conducting on the passengers that use the subway.

A woman was interviewed and she stated that she felt violated by the searches.

Me? I'd feel more violated if I wake up in a hospital's intensive care unit with a missing limb, blind or brain dead..

It wouldn't bother me at all. I might even get lucky enough to get searched by a cute officer.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I wouldn't mind. I mean, as long as the officer doing the searching stays within legal bounds as far as what a search entails. I am sure I'd be annoyed if I was in a hurry or something, but, not bothered by the search itself. I think it could help, even if it's just a little. Just like when you fly sometimes they make your take off your shoes. That stuff just doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Where's the box for "I don't feel violated but think it is a stupid waste of time and that the police could be far better used elsewhere?"

I wouldn't feel violated at all! Afterall, they're just doing they're jobs to make this world a better place for us to live in.

Like Val said, I wouldn't mind at all being searched by a cute officer.

I'd also rather be searched than find myself in a hospital with a missing limb or brain dead.

If you've got nothing to hide, then what's the problem???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Where's the box for "I don't feel violated but think it is a stupid waste of time and that the police could be far better used elsewhere?"
    I would think that would be the first one.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Isn't there a pesky constitutional amendment that says they can't do that?

These are not the droids you were looking for

For how many years have we been randomly searched every time we get on an airplane....has it made us safer?

Since it is far and away more likely I will be a mugging victim or a victim of drunk driving....put the police to better use that a false sense of security....

Perhaps rather than random searches, they would be better off investing the money in some kind of "metal/bomb detector device to install at the subway entrances?
    I have lived in NYC and took the subway every single day to work and back. You would not BELIEVE the things people bring/have on the train with them....there were many times that I thought to myself that I was the only sane person in the car.....
    Twice, in the six months I lived there, innocent people were thrown in front of the train and died...I used to hold onto the pole while I was waiting like my life depended on it...and if just might have....

We have been much too complacent in this country, thinking, it will never happen to us...and then it did....and how quickly we have forgotten.............
    If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem? Big deal if they see your tampons or your birth control or your self-help book....or whatever it is that is private to you? If you are not trying to kill innocent people, they don't care and you shouldn't either!!!

We have been much too complacent in this country, thinking, it will never happen to us...and then it did....and how quickly we have forgotten
    Boy are you right on that one!!! But I do feel that I am not going to live my life in total fear either. That would be allowing the enemy to win, and I not going to let that happen.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

11. So if you have nothing to hide....is it okay for ther government to conduct random searches of your house? I assume, of course, it is okay, if you have nothing to hide, to have road blocks and conduct random searches of your car as well.

And...if you have nothing to hide....you won't mind random phone taps, right?

I rode the subway in Chicago every day for five years. I always take public transport when I can. Yes...there are lots of crazies. I once bought a seven foot long bamboo window shade and took it home on the train.

I do not see how this further assault on our liberties will do a thing for security.

I believe Catland & Sara have the bigger picture in mind than an OK about "temporarily" ignoring the Constitution. There is such a thing in our Constitution preventing "illegal search and seizure" and if it's now OK in the subway then where and when does it stop? Metal detectors are one thing... these searches are illegal and should be stopped (IMO).

I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, why does my freedom have to be compromised because extremists are intent on ruining the way we live. On the other hand, I personally have nothing to hide, but I don't feel that searching me personally will get anyone anywere. Authorities know who and what to look for.

My husband jokes that his name should be Random Search because everytime we fly, he gets the whole treatment. Is it because he's dark complected? Perhaps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

I'd rather be searched than dead.

I think they really need to search everyone though for it to be any good.

Unfortunately, we have a choice: give up some freedoms or put up with terrorists.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There isn't a box that says "While I admit that the intent of random searching is good, it doesn't do anyone any bit of good to have the police harass a drug addict (I'm not condoning illgal drug use btw) while a terrorist walks right on by and blows up the subway"