Thread: Coyote!!!

Coyote!!!

My parents have lived on a small farm right on the out-skirts of the city limits in a small town in Iowa. They have lived there for 35 years with everything nice and peaceful, until this year. I have raised lambs there for the past 15 years(with no trouble) This year during lambing season(January-March)when I was there lambing at 2 or 3 in the morning, I heard the coyote yipping and howling off in the distance quite a few times.
    I also have(had) 10 barn cats that have all been spayed and neutered there that can go in and out of the heated part of the barn when ever they want and have food out 24/7. They are there to keep the mice under control, which they do a great job at! Around the same time I heard the coyote, I found my Jill in the hay badly injured and close to death. She was covered in what looked like dog drool, and had been bitten around the head and neck area. She survived with intensive medical work and weeks of spoon feeding. And after that the other cats started disappearing one by one(I have 4 left). About 1 month ago Speckles came out from under the deck holding her paw up and howling. When I went to see what the problem was, I found she also had been attacked by what looked like a dog or coyote(There are no dogs anywhere around though) Poor Speckles had to be put to sleep.
    Then I discovered my lambs were disappearing and I found parts of them around in the woods that surrounds the property. I dont know what to do. DNR says that it's nature and the coyote are feeding their litters at that time, which I already knew and cant blame them for....
    What would you do to keep them away and where they belong?

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible"

That is an extremely difficult problem. And one I never had to deal with, so I will be of no help. But let me ask, do you have any type of dogs (sheep dogs of any kind, or other larger dog that might keep the coyotes from the property)?

I am sorry about your losses.

I wish I could have a protective dog there...but my Dad wont allow dogs on the property, because the Mama ewes would seriously have a heart attack, or they would stomp their lambs to death trying to scare them away. Sheep are really unusual when it comes to their behavior sometimes. I have to keep a radio on in the barn 24/7 because if they hear any strange noises in there, they will also stomp their lambs to death.
    Now if I was to start fresh with a group of very young lambs(0-3 weeks old) and raise them with a dog, they would be fine as ewes being with a dog, but it has taken me 15 years to build the flock to the size it is(I raise them for my daughters 4-H, and for their wool) and I wouldnt have the heart to sell my old Mamas, they are just like pets and part of the family.
    Last edited by Jennsen; 07-25-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Here is the website for the Iowa Sheep Breeders association, maybe they would have some suggestions for the coyote...

http://www.iowasheep.com/

Around here we use lamas for protection against wolves. One should do for about 50 sheep.

Around here we use lamas for protection against wolves. One should do for about 50 sheep.
    That's so interesting. Why are wolves afraid of llamas? I'm just curious since I've never heard that before.

Llamas and donkeys are very protective of sheep or goats, or anything in that livestock catagory for reasons I dont really know. I looked into it once when we had a dog attack our sheep, but when I found out that they will also kills cats if they are around the sheep, I didnt want that to happen either

The Llamas and donkeys kill their enemy by a very powerful kick. It's so quick and powerful that nothing really has a chance if they are caught by it. Wolves and coyotes and other predators know this as a way of nature, and stay clear away from them.
    Last edited by Jennsen; 07-27-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Jennsen, thanks for the explanation.

Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Thank you so much K&L for those coyote websites! I really appreciate your help and time to post those for me! Another one of my barn cats, Turtle, has disappeared and has been gone for over a week now. That leaves only 3 left, Bob, Emma, and Jill. They never leave the barn, as they are all spayed and neutered and quite old now, so I pray they are safe. Turtle was also spayed, but she loved to venture up into the rock quarry behind the house where the coyotes live. I know this is going to sound terrible...but, the loss of my cats has saddened me far worse than the loss of my lambs and the $3,000 I would have sold them for.