Thread: When will it stop?

When will it stop?

GTA San Andreas has been banned because of some secret sex scenes that were included in the game. Codes are needed to unlock it. Stores like Target and Wal Mart won't even let an adult buy it. The powers that be are, I guess, using the "it takes a village to raise a child' theory. Sorry, your child, your responsibility. So, instead of forcing parents to properly do their job, stores won't even sell the game to adults. Now that is just wrong. When will the censorship end? As I stated in the pit bull ban thread, we might as well go to a dictatorship because little by little, we're losing freedom. From having what dog you want, to women having choices with their own body, and now this. The whole mass shouldn't be punished.

http://www.gtasanandreas.net/news/single.php?id=1643

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Thank Hillary Clinton for this one.....

I think she's trying to duplicate Tipper Gore's efforts with music. Neither are acceptable. The government is NOT my nanny.

ladys' human, can you cite your source for blaming senator clinton on this one? if she's involved with this one i'd sure like to know. thanks joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

CNN had massive coverage of this the day Senator Clinton announced she was going to request an investigation into this vidoe game.

I don't understand why you feel the need to support and play violent video games in the first place. This world is getting bad enough without having to go to the store and see stuff like this on the shelves in front of everybody. You may no believe it but this stuff becomes a regular part of our lives to a point where it doesn't phase us anymore and it should. BTW if I owned a store I'd expect to have the right Not to sell this kind of stuff. I think that stores like Walmart should exercise this right if they want. Since when do you have the right to force a store to sell things like this?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I respect your opinion, however, I'm trying to make a point. You feel that way about games. Other people feel the same way about certain breeds of dogs, etc. We're losing our freedom little by little. Where is the line going to be drawn?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I agree with Irescue. The stores definately have the right to say what they will and will not sell. I applaud them for it. Nobody cares when they say "We're not going to sell XYZ shampoo" because they figure that store just doesn't carry that line of shampoos. Why all up in arms when the store decides not to sell a certain vdieo game, music CD, etc? They have the right to decide what they offer their customers. Someone doesn't like it? They can go to Best Buy.

As far as parents doing their jobs.... well, its plenty easy for a kid to get adult rated things without the parent having a clue their child has it. When my son was 14 he bought a CD with offensive lyrics. Hubby and I demanded the store take it back and return our son's money. It wasn't until we threatened a law suit for selling an adult rated CD to a minor did they relent.

Personally, I think our society is getting progressively worse and selfish. They want to do what THEY want to do and be damned what anyone else has to say. I watched a news broadcast this morning on something very similar where the average American is being over-entertained and needing more and more thrills in order to stay entertained. We become bored easier. We need the excessive language, sex, violence in order to stay entertained? ummmm.... I certainly don't want to be! Why do I need to see and hear soemthing I find offensive because somebody else want to invoke their rights of free choice? What about MY rights to live a peaceful life without stress of coming across something that will offend me?

Originally posted by catnapper
    Why do I need to see and hear soemthing I find offensive because somebody else want to invoke their rights of free choice? What about MY rights to live a peaceful life without stress of coming across something that will offend me?
    With respect, I have to say that there's no way to conduct a free society if you censor everything that is likely to offend somebody.

I'm personally offended by televangelists and the views of right-wing Republicans. I do what I can to try to counter the harm that they do. But because I firmly believe that freedom requires that we tolerate those with different views, I'll never suggest that they be silenced.

Living in a free society isn't easy or stress-free. But living in a totalitarian society where a small handful of bureaucrats decides what the people can do, see, and have would be much worse. It's unfortunate that these days, in this country, large totalitarian corporations control so much of what we can do, see, and have. I think eventually we will have to address whether we want to continue to surrender so much power and control to entities that operate for the sole purpose of making a few people rich.

I believe in a store or franchise's right to refuse to sell something but I do not believe in the government's right to get involved in regulating this type of thing. I may be personally disgusted by the game, but it's too easy for them to take more steps forward in regulating what society can and cannot watch/listen to/say.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

thanks ladys' human

since i don't play or even have the slighest bit of intrest in video games, this did not hit my radar screen. thanks for the info, i'll be checking it out.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

12. My brother got his hands the game. not sure what store it was though.

i think this whole thing is just crap.
    HELLO it says M(18+) right on the box...
    is it really that hard to comprehed.. that kid must be 18 years or older to play the game?

i guess a huge amount of parents needs to go back to kindergarten and learn how to freaking read.
    and count for that matter.

Personally I feel the same about Video game regulation that I feel about gun regulation. The laws out there currently would be plenty if they were actually followed and enforced!

There is a rating system for these games for a reason. If a store won't pay attention to them and sells an "M" rated game to a child, then that store needs to be punished for it like a gun dealer should be for not following the proper protocols.

And a parent who buys an "M" rated game for their child has no right to complain about it being too violent just as a parent who leaves their loaded gun unsecured has no right to complain if their child is hurt by it.

It is called personal responsibility and common sense people and this country needs a big dose of it.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

While I think that adults should have the right to buy the videogames they want, I found it rather odd that the senators objected to the sex being added to the game but did not seem to have a problem with the violence. Does that mean our society finds murder to be ok for a recreational theme but sex to be dangerous?

Makes me wonder what sort of point the politicians are trying to make.... or which voters they are trying to woo.