Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with training a dog

Help with training a dog

I am going to start training my aunts dog (every wednesday from 6-7) and to describe her in one word......CRAZY!!!!! lol!
    Anyways, this is her personality: Can't self-contain a lot of energy, jumpy, HYPER!, and doesn't know how to handle herself around little kids.

I know how I am going to train her, positive behavior and a long walk before training. I am going to start with sit, down, and walking on a lead.

She also runs away though. Is that from being energetic (her family can't walk her, she is too strong!)? What can I do with that situation?

Alex is very intelligent and friendly towards people. I want to know what "equipment" I should use, tips on training better, should I use treats; "Good Girl's"; or both, and information in general (websites, past experiences, etc.) Alex deserves a better chance to be able to be trusted more.

Thank you!-Steph and Jes

My first question is, what kind of dog is it? If it's a large breed, I highly advocate the pinch collars. They work wonders (if used correctly)

Are you going to show your Aunt how to train and handle her dog as well. Or will you just be training her by yourself. I don't know much about dog training (well, I really don't know anything at all). But I've heard that a big part of it isn't just the dog being trained but the owner knowing how to handle the dog. That's why the training class Payson will be going to suggests that everyone who is responsible for the dog attend the classes.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

My first question is, what kind of dog is it? If it's a large breed, I highly advocate the pinch collars. They work wonders (if used correctly)
    She is a lab/dalmatian cross, lol. She is so hyper because of those breeds in her!
    I will look for pinch collars, but, I need more information on them first, I have never heard of them

Are you going to show your Aunt how to train and handle her dog as well. Or will you just be training her by yourself. I don't know much about dog training (well, I really don't know anything at all). But I've heard that a big part of it isn't just the dog being trained but the owner knowing how to handle the dog. That's why the training class Payson will be going to suggests that everyone who is responsible for the dog attend the classes.
    Yes, after I get Alex a little more under control, I will show my aunt and continue with the training until Alex is well-behaved. my aunt has never had a dog this hyper before (her husband went out and bought her as a surprise!) so she does not know how to handle her well. Don't get me wrong, they LOVE Alex! They just need a little assistance.

I stayed at my aunts house today and got to let Alex be a little more familular with my standards. I was a little more demanding and forceful than my aunt. (Not hitting or anything though!)
    Alex like to "mouth" people though. She likes to hold my hand or anything from a human that she can possibly touch! I just found that out today, so, any suggestions for that too?

Pinch collars should'nt be used for training.Just for taking them for walks and such.I use one on Kodie and they work well for dogs that are bad pullers.They dont hurt the dog at all,it just gives them a little pinch.

Prong Collars
    I agree with Ubassoon,your aunt should know how to handle Alex.

Okay, I will talk to my aunt about getting a prong/pinch collar. She can't walk Alex for one reason: She has some shoulder and back problems. Her son can though, but, it is very rare because Alex is a VERY hard puller for a 13 year older who sits on the computer. He has MUCH more technoligical skills than physical. I can handle Alex though, so, when she learns that leashes are not meant to be pulled, I will let Andy have the lead.

I checked that website out too. I will look in our pet shop for that (it is an hour away though) I wouldn't use that for training, I do have some knowledge on collars with names like that

lol, I am not completely clueless with training, I want to do it right and so that Alex has a better life. I am only doing this for Alex, not for her family or me.

Steph and Jes

Good for you wanting to help out your Aunt, family and most of all the dog.
    Look into a Gentle Leader it will allow even your aunt with back and should problems walk the dog. Here is the website
    http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?id=17

I would recommend clicker training for the fastest and best results for your training. Here is a really great website
    http://www.clickertraining.com/home/

Good luck with your training.

Thank you very much ginagt! I will look at the gentle leader and the pinch/prong collar, see which my aunt would prefer..

Steph and Jes

Originally posted by sammy101
    [B]Pinch collars should'nt be used for training.Just for taking them for walks and such.
    I whole heartedly disagree! Pinch collars are TRAINING collars. They're FOR that specific purpose! The not pulling is just a bonus.

I use pinch collars on all my Shepherds during obedience training, and I get a much faster "sharper" (cleaner) correction than I do with a choke (Which they don't care about anyway).

I say use a pinch collar during obedience training if the dog won't pay attention to a flat or choker. You wean off it eventually, but still, it IS a training collar.

My only suggestion is to use positive reinforcement.

In my own experience, dogs learn much faster when your letting them know what they did right(clicker training/praise), and not what they did wrong(choke/pinch collars).

Good luck!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I ALWAYS use positive reinforcement, no matter what dog I am training, I don't think that negativity is a good thing...

My aunt thinks that the pinch collar looks vicious and that it would hurt Alex, I know what she is talking about, but, I can't convince her other wise...And the gentle leader, cannot be found in TRF...We would have to drive about an hour or so to get one...Bad luck there, but, I think that Alex is intteligent enough, and yes, it will take longer to train her, I realize that. She is smart though and I want to get to know her better!

Any hints besides positive training? What can I do about the runaway thing? Even though I am quite sure it is becuase of lack of excersize, what if I am wrong?

Tomorrow, I am starting the training, I'll keep you posted on her progress, and if I do something wrong, please tell me...I don't think I will, but, just in case

Thanks SO much everyone!-Steph and Jes

When you say she runs away, what do you mean? Is the yard fenced and she is getting out and running away. She is running out the door when it is opened. If you give some more details of her running away issues I might be able to give you some suggestions.

Remember when you train to train in very small amounts like 1 min of training and 1 min of play time. This is the a good thing as it keeps the dog intrested and not over simulated.

Does Alex like to play tug ( with a rope toy or something similiar?) If so that would be a great break in between training and tugging is a wonderful bonding experience.

Does Alex like to play ball? If so I would suggest a session of ball before you start your formal training. You can actually use the ball session to burn off some stream but you can also use it as a fun way to train. Things like saying come while she is already on her way back to you with the ball. When she knows sit you can have her sit each time before you throw the ball.

Did you mention how old Alex is?
    Good luck and have fun.

She runs out of the house, out of her kennel when opened (they have a fenced yard with a door, but it is rusty and broken, don't know why they won't fix it?) and when/if they walk her, she gets away and won't come back. Sorry, should've been more specific there...

I have learned the LONG training methods to be bad the hard way, Jes was my mistake. I have learned better now though. I try to go in 3 or 5 minutes though. If that does not work, I will try shorter sessions.

I don't know if Alex would like to play tug-of-war. I could try and see if she likes it! My best guess would be that she'll LOVE it!-and of course, the dog ALWAYS wins!

She likes to play ball, for one throw, she doesn't give the ball back, that is another thing I have to work on with her. That seems to happen with a lot of dogs though...Only they are taught to give it back.

Sorry, she is 1 yr. a month ago! I love Alex, but don't know her too well. I didn't go to there house much before. Then my aunt started talking about how hard it was to take care of Alex, you get the story. Well, I jumped in and said I'll train her!

Thank you everyone! Your a HUGE help!-Steph and Jes

Your Aunt and Alex are very lucky to have you help them out with training.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you and that you are well prepared a fun filled training session.

If you have any questions or need any tips on giving the ball or tugging feel free to ask.

As for the running away when the kennel door is open and getting away on walks, the biggest thing to remember is never punish a dog for coming back to you. For example when she does get out and finally comes back nothing but prasie should be given. To encourage coming back have yummy treats, favorite toy, anything she loves to get her to come back and when she does it is the best thing ever, a party happens everytime she comes. Practice coming all the time not just when she gets away. It's important that nobody in the family punishes Alex for coming. I like to think about it this way, if I knew someone was going to yell at me for coming would I go back to them, probaby not.
    Good luck
    Gina

Try to wear the dog out by tossing a ball for a while, but first attach a long line to the dog so she can't run away. If you can't afford a "real" long line, nylon rope/ cord would work just as well. That way the dog can't get away, but will get exercise. The long line is great also for teaching a recall.

You can also try an herbal remedy called Recuse Remedy. A few drops on the dogs tongue will help calm him. It's available in most health stores.
    Last edited by Kosy; 07-27-2005 at 07:00 AM.