Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher or Washing Machine...Which one would you rather do without?

Dishwasher or Washing Machine...Which one would you rather do without?

I was just taking care of some of the household chores...loading the dishwasher, and tossing laundry into the washer, when suddenly, this thought struck my mind. I don't even know why I thought of this, but I imagined living in a house with no washer or dishwasher, and it made me think how life would be different. It then came to me that I could probably live without a dishwasher with no problem......but just the thought of living without a washing machine makes me upset. Its just so convenient to get your clothes and toss them into the washer. You have them nice and fresh with almost no effort. I remember going on vacation several years ago, and we couldn't find any laundromat nearby. We had to wash our clothes by hand, and it was not fun. My skin kept pealing because of that, and it hurt! LOL!

The dishwasher, on the other hand.........well, I don't think washing the dishes by hand would take any more time than I take to 'rinse' the dishes before I load them into the dishwasher. My friends think I'm crazy......because I rinse the dishes so well they actually look washed, and then the dishwasher has to finish the washing. Using more soap and a little more scrubs wouldn't take much longer...so I don't think I could NOT live without a dishwasher. I might not like it because I've had one ever since I was a child and am so used to it.....but I don't think I'm really TOO dependant on it. I don't think I could do without a washing machine though.

For those of you who have both a dishwasher and clothes washer at home...which one do you think you would rather live without? And for those of you who don't have either one, how is life without it?

Just a random thread.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 07-23-2005 at 03:05 PM.

I have neither at home But I would get a clothes washer first.

Definitely washing machine. I can do dishes by hand easily. I hand wash a lot of dishes anyways, such as things that don't fit in the dishwasher, or my favorite pan that I use at least 3x a day.

Going to a laundromat isn't that bad. I'm happy I don't have to do it anymore, but I have in the past.

Sometimes on vacation have had to handwash things like undies and socks in the sink, and that is no fun. I couldn't imagine washing a pair of jeans in a sink!

I've been washing dishes by hand forever, but wouldn't want to give up my washer/dryer.

I'll keep my washer, and myself, I'm the dishwasher!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Definately a dishwasher, washing dishes is easy but I could not go to the laundry mat every week and wash my clothes, it costs money you know
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

It has been five years now without a dishwasher. Though I want one when I re-do my kitchen, it isn't a big deal not to have one.

The clothes washer, and dryer, now THAT would be hard for me. I went from washing clothes once every 10 days or so (pre-Jonah) to washing 10 loads every other day it seems!

The one benefit to a laundry mat- ALL your clothes are washed at the same time because of the multiple machines. I would get a second washer and dryer if I had more family members.

Originally posted by Cataholic

The one benefit to a laundry mat- ALL your clothes are washed at the same time because of the multiple machines. I would get a second washer and dryer if I had more family members.
    Have you looked into the front loaders, the HE machines? We got a pair of HE3 (Kenmore) and I am seriously amazed at how much they can wash at one time! I can even wash large comforters that wouldn't fit into our old machine.

I Need to have a washing machine, I do laundry just about every night or every other. Dishes I usually do by hand unless it is a big get together.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I would do without a dishwasher way before I would do without a washing machine, if I was given a choice. The apartments I've lived alone in, though, I've had a dishwasher, but, couldn't afford a washer and dryer in the unit. Even if I had to choose the convenience of washing dishes in a dishwasher at home, or going to a public laundromat to wash my clothes in a washer, I'd still choose the inconvenient public washer as the one thing I couldn't do without. Dishes are easy, I hate washing handwashables by hand, I can't even imagine washing all my clothes that way. Ugh.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I'll definitely keep the washer & dryer. I already have a 57 year old dishwasher, ME!

id rather be without a dishwasher
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Well the answer is obvious to me, we have only had a dishwasher for 13 years, so before that it was wash by hand,although I would miss it terribly, my daughter has never really had to wash a dish by hand almost, now I could not do without my washing machine, I wash about 4 loads a day, and I have never had to wash by hand except little things that need hand washing, and that is hardly ever because the machine has a delicate cycle etc, so yes I would be lost without it for sure.

P.S until i came to PT, I never knew there was an american who did not own a dishwasher, honestly, no joking, after all you guy's had that technology long before we ever did.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I could do without the dishwasher but NOT the clothes washer!!!
    We wash by hand mostly anyway after we eat..since its just the 2 of us..

Being that I lived with a broken washing machine for a few months.... I am worshiping my new one. I know I could never ever again live without my washer. Never.

I often wash dishes by hand. I'd never wash clothes by hand, unless it was the occasional silk blouse that needs a touch-up instead f taking it to the dry cleaner.