Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pee emergency

Pee emergency

Ok, I have not shared this with anyone here, but I've been VERY concerned about Pouncer and crystals in his urinary tract. He was blocked last week, but finally managed to pee on his own (I had separated him from all the other cats for a full 24 hours).

Today he's blocked again. While straining, he DID get one little, itsy bitsy drop. We're talking tiny - no bigger than a raindrop size. I managed to catch it on a plastic bag. How big does it need to be for the vet to analyze it for crystals? My vet is not opened for two more hours, and I will drop it off immediately, but I need to know if the sample I managed to get was large enough or if I should keep following him around.

Also, PLEASE pray for my hissy boy! If its crystals, and we caught it in time, then I'll do whatever is necessary to manage it with diet. I have no idea what'll happen if we're a bit late and it starts running into serious money I also will kick myself because I know stress is a contributing factor and he's been very stressed with my fostering. If he has crystals... I will no longer be fostering. I cannot put him through it.

Poor Baby! I think they need about a teaspoonful to be able to test, but I am not certain. I hope it has been caught in time and that he is OK. Good thoughts going out to you and him. Let us know.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Oh good lord! A tespoonfull? I'm not going to be able to get that! The other day when he starined, he strained for an hour in the morning then ignored the box the rest of the day. I don't know how to run a 24 hours pee-catching vigil! I was happy and impressed I got what I got!

I certainly can't afford the vet to get it either. A conservative estimate was $200 for them to do it.

Its going to be a lonnnng day. I want to ge it to the vet ASAP because if not, then it'll be MONDAY before they can check it. Why does this stuff ALWAYS happen on a weekend?

Oh no! Oh poor Pouncer! We shall keep our fingers and paws crossed that you'll be able to manage it with the diet, and that he'll be hunky-dory again!

Best wishes and a great big hug, Spartacus and his mamma
    Thank you joanofark for my fab new avatar!

Ugh... jut called the vet. Its gonna be one expensive trip They won't do the unrinalysis without seeing him first since this is his first time needing an urinalysis. The vet just saw him a month ago for his yearly! He's completely healthy... what exactly do they think they're going to see in him? Oh, wait, the $40 vet visit fee. Then the test itself is $30, plus they DID NOT give him his rabies when I was in for his yearly. The vet tech told me he was up to date when he went in last month, and this one said "no, I don't know how she missed it" so tack on another $18 for the rabies shot. I'm up to $88 without tax and meds. This is the worst month of all months to have this!

He's in the bathroom locked with an empty litterbox lined with plastic, wet food and water. I'm thinking of taking a syringe and forcing some additional water in him, but not sure if I want to take that route.

SOME CATS,ARE PRONE,TO BLADDER PROBLEMS,AND I DONT THINK,THAT YOUR FOSTERING HAS THATMUCH,TO DO WITH IT.
    I THINK,THAT POUNCER,IS GOING,TO HAVE TO GO,ON A VET DIET,PROBABLY,A MEDICAL,OR EUKANUBA VET DIET.
    NEEDLESS,TO SAY,POUNCER ANGEL,IS THERE WITH HERLITTLE PROTEGEE,COMFORTING HIM..
    WE ARE PRAYING,FOR BIG POUNCER,HOPING,THAT HE CAN BE BACK,TO NORMAL,VERY SOON.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I know when Casey (RB, 2001) had a blockage, the vet was able to extract urine from him by pressing on his bladder.

I'll be praying for Pouncer and you, Kim.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I feel bad that you are having such a difficult month. It is costly when the vet gets involved, but if they won't do the urinalysis without seeing him, I guess you have no choice. I don't know that forcing more water into him would be a good idea. If he can't eliminate it, it will just make him more uncomfortable. Hugs and prayers to you and Pouncer. I hope it can be controlled by diet.

I'm sitting here crying now. I don't have the money, but I can't loose him. We're going to the vet now - 10:15 appointment. I'll let you know what happens.

Blockage is serious business! I have lost 2 wonderful babies to that in the past. Hang the $$$$! Pouncer is worth whatever it takes and I am sure the vet will work with you. Sickness does not wait till it is convient for us or we have a great payday, the vets have to know that. Keep us posted but get him in there!

(If all else fails, offer you talent as a artist to satisfy the bill!)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Whew... back form the vet. They said he is one perfectly healthy boy. Not bladder or urine problems at all. He theorizes the straining is "symptomatic to what ever is causing the undiagnosed diarreah" - I told him about the diarreah and how he and the others all have long-term diarreah. He said this is one of the healithiest, liveliest cats he's seen in a long time. Of course Pouncer turned on the charm

I feel SOOOO much better!!!!!

OH good!! I've been waiting and watching! Glad to hear it is not anything serious and sooooo happy to hear that Pouncer is in good health. What a relief! I am so happy for you and Pouncer.

Thank goodness!!!!

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Emergency

What a relief to know that Pouncer is okay and the problem is apparently nothing serious. Prayers still being prayed!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I just seen this thread. I am sooo glad Kim that your Pouncer is ok. A big sign of relief and I know mine isn't near as big as yours.

{{{HUGS}}}
    Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica