Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby beat up Tikeya... bad

Unhappy Baby beat up Tikeya... bad

Today while in the backyard enjoying a nice summers day.

OScar desided to be a lil jerk and irritate Baby, while she basked in the sunshine.

Baby started to get irritated and went to nip at oscar.
    Tikeya ALWAYS has to get inbetween Baby and oscar JUST in CASE baby gets too ruff.. She doesnt know her own strength.

Baby got REALLY mad at Tikeya, and attacked her.
    She pinned Tikeya between the fence and herself...
    And she repeatedly attacked her face, and back legs..

Poor Tikeya, she was screaming, and whining. By the time My dad actually noticed what was happening Tikeya was REALLY hurt..

Now Baby and Tikeya arnt allowed in the same room together alone...

here is a pic of Baby incase some ppl dont know my dogs well...

pic of Tikeya:

and oscar:
    Last edited by tikeyas_mom; 07-21-2005 at 12:36 AM.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Oh no! Poor Tikeya! How bad is she hurt?-Did she go to the vet, or is it treatable at home?

I hope Tikeya heals quickly! Give her big hugs and kisses for me!

Steph and Jes

Originally posted by jesse_3
    Oh no! Poor Tikeya! How bad is she hurt?-Did she go to the vet, or is it treatable at home?

I hope Tikeya heals quickly! Give her big hugs and kisses for me!

Steph and Jes
    it isnt THAT bad, I just freak out over everything when it involves her...

she has two ouchies on her back right leg, and her fir was ripped out a lil on the other leg.

baby has a hole in her ear....

Poor pups

I hope they remain seperated so no more damage is done!

Gosh thats so scary. I'm sorry they have to be seperated now but it is for their own good.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

How old is Baby? If I'm guessing right she is somewhere around a year or a little over a year?

From this it doesn't sound like there was any blood (other than Baby's ear). This is actually a good sign. It means the dogs both had control of how hard they were biting and it was more of a fight of dominance to determine who is the alpha between them.

How you handle this will determine the need for future fights between them. You need to honor their determination in who the winner was. In other words even if you "want" to have Tikeya the alpha over Baby, you need to recognize that probably isn't going to happen. You need to let them know you recognize which one is alpha by honoring the alpha. This means the alpha gets everything first between them.

Keeping an eye on them until this is established is a good idea but the more you seperate them on a permanent basis, the more you are causing them to continue to determine who the alpha is between them.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    How old is Baby? If I'm guessing right she is somewhere around a year or a little over a year?

From this it doesn't sound like there was any blood (other than Baby's ear). This is actually a good sign. It means the dogs both had control of how hard they were biting and it was more of a fight of dominance to determine who is the alpha between them.

How you handle this will determine the need for future fights between them. You need to honor their determination in who the winner was. In other words even if you "want" to have Tikeya the alpha over Baby, you need to recognize that probably isn't going to happen. You need to let them know you recognize which one is alpha by honoring the alpha. This means the alpha gets everything first between them.

Keeping an eye on them until this is established is a good idea but the more you seperate them on a permanent basis, the more you are causing them to continue to determine who the alpha is between them.
    i am not going to honor baby for bad behaviour she isnt allowed to be agressive period. and she acted agressivly. every since she was a pup we have taught her to be a passive dog, not an agressive one..
    i will try your suggestion, i know Tikeya wont like it though.
    Last edited by tikeyas_mom; 07-21-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    This is actually a good sign. It means the dogs both had control of how hard they were biting and it was more of a fight of dominance to determine who is the alpha between them.
    Baby REALLY hurt Tikeya. I didnt realise till this morning that Tikeya is in ALOT of pain. and last night i found two more bite holes on Tikeyas ribs and one in between her sholderblades..
    i am booking a vet appointment asap.

Poor Baby.

Candy, that was very good advice. Alpha rolls need to be established, and sometimes it's the owner's responsibility to do so. From day 1 with my dogs i've worked on who's alpha between the 3 of them. Simba gets things first, Nala gets them secondly, and Kiara gets them last.

Both of the girls respect Simba, if he warns them to back off, they do. Kiara respects Nala, if she tells her to back off, she does. If I tell them to do something, they do it, because i'm alpha over all three.
    It's something i've worked on between the 3 of my dogs and I continue to work on, which is probably what Jynelle needs to do in her situation. Without it there will be nothing but havok.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Poor Baby.

Candy, that was very good advice. Alpha rolls need to be established, and sometimes it's the owner's responsibility to do so. From day 1 with my dogs i've worked on who's alpha between the 3 of them. Simba gets things first, Nala gets them secondly, and Kiara gets them last.

just wait till Kiara wants to be second...

then you will be in my situation.. and it isnt fun at all.

I have worked on the Alpha situation since day one too.. And Baby still found a way to make it hard on the other two dogs.

She is a great dane keep in mind and they are HUGE dogs, and they are very powerful too. they can seriously hurt another dog/animal if they wanted to. And Baby wanted to Hurt Tikeya.

Kiara will not want to be second. She does not have the personaility to be above other dogs, and if in the case it does happen, I will sort it out as it's my responsibility as the owner to do so.

You may WANT Tikeya to be alpha, but by the sounds of it Baby should be, no matter who came first.

From what you said..
    Baby was being pestered by Oscar, which Baby was telling him to knock it off and Tikeya butted in. Baby had TWO dogs who were challenging her in some way or another. (Whether or not it looked like it.)

Taking in a large breed dog you've got to expect something like this, especially with another female dog, who's already stuck in her ways. Tikeya is used to being alpha, Baby wants to be alpha. As the owner you've got to sort it out. It sounds like Baby has more of a strive to be alpha than Tikeya does, so you've got to make Tikeya understand this. If something isn't done, their behavior is just going to worsen, and treating Tikeya like royalty and Baby like scum isn't going to help the situation.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Taking in a large breed dog you've got to expect something like this, especially with another female dog, who's already stuck in her ways. Tikeya is used to being alpha, Baby wants to be alpha. As the owner you've got to sort it out. It sounds like Baby has more of a strive to be alpha than Tikeya does, so you've got to make Tikeya understand this. If something isn't done, their behavior is just going to worsen, and treating Tikeya like royalty and Baby like scum isn't going to help the situation.
    i knew what i was getting into when my mom brought Baby home.. i did the research.

I am not treating Baby like scum. nor am i treating Tikeya like royalty. My parents told me to keep them seperate and thats what i am doing.
    Baby isnt my dog, she isnt my resposability. She is my parents.

Tikeya will be pampered till she is better.

O poor Puppy!Hope Shes okay...send her my love

Triger^

Originally posted by Bambi_Babe
    O poor Puppy!Hope Shes okay...send her my love
    i will thanks

I know your angry at Baby right now and probably terrified she'll do this again, which I can definately understand. But I'm not sure that keeping Baby locked outside and Tikeya in is a good thing either. I would guess that it may make Baby resent Tikeya more and make matters worse. Right now it sounds like the trigger for this fight, was that Oscar wouldn't leave Baby alone and when she tried to discipline him, Tikeya got in the middle by trying to stop Baby. I had a really similar situation with my 2 females Savannah and Nikka. They got into a really bad fight once as well a couple of months after I adopted Hunter (a puppy). Savannah instantly took the role of mom/dominant female, so if Nikka tried to discipline him for being to nippy or spastic Savannah would immediately intervene. We had them all in the back yard once and all of a sudden heard a horrible commotion. When we looked out, Savannah had Nikka pinned against the fence. We ran out and broke it up. My roomate took Nikka into the house to check her and I kept Savannah and Hunter with me to check her. Both girls had some scrapes and couple of bite marks, not enough for a vet trip but enough for us to do some minor first aid. After about a 1/2 hour we put Hunter in his crate and brough Savannah in. The 2 girls did a lot of sniffing, hackles raised, etc., which we let happen, but were prepared to intervene. Eventually they just went on about their normal business. We were a little cautious with them together for a couple of days and kept Hunter from bothering Nikka when home. The first day we had to leave them alone we put one in one room another in another and Hunter was crated. We didn't see any signs of aggretion from them when Hunter wasn't around so the next day we left them out together (Hunter was crated which was normal for him when we left). I'm not a behaviour expert but I have been through something similiar and in my opinion your main concern should be when Oscar is involved. It sounds like your not surprised Tikeya protected Oscar so it's something that occurs often. Just try to keep Oscar from annoying Baby which means Tikeya won't need to intervene. If your really not comfortable leaving them together when your not around I'd either lock one in one room one in the another, or alternate who gets outside time. One day Tikeya, one day Baby. Just my opinion.