Thread: Border Collie

Border Collie

Hi everyone. My family just got an 8 week old Border Collie pup. While we are not new to dogs, we are however, new to puppies. Our last dog we got when she was just about a year old. So, the whole puppy stage is new to us. Does anyone have any tips for us????

If this is your first puppy I don't think that a Border Collie was a very good idea. Borders are very active and inteligent. They need constant physical and mental stimulation or they will end up being very destructive. Here's some things you need to do.

1. Get your pup into puppy classes imediately and dont stop there. Continue classes for as long as you can.

2. Your pup is a bit young right now but as it ages you will want to get it into Agility, flyball, herding or frizbee classes. Whatever is available to you.

Too many BC's end up in rescue because people do not research the breed. I raised an Aussie puppy, which is very close to the BC and I will never do it again. Good luck and I hope you and your family will be able to cope with your little bundle of terror.

Maisy

We have her signed up for puppy preschool already and I do realize they are an active dog. But we also are an active family so she will be outside with us all the time.

border collie breeds

i have a wonderful border collie that we got from a shelter as a puppy. She is mixed with a terrier breed which makes her quite rambunctious! Because border collies are so smart they take to direction very well! They are very quickly trainable and want to please you just provide with structure. i am still amazed at how quickly she went from an spunky puppy to a well diciplined dog! I have had many breeds before in the past and she was the best and easiest. I did not send her to formal training and she at 1 year has more self dicipline than all the other dogs at the park. In talking with other owners of this breed we share the same view, this is the best breed! My yard is small so she goes for runs with the kids often and love going for roller blade rides. She quickly learned not to pull and will stop and start in command! It only took one night to teach her! You will have a wonderful life with your new baby and having them as puppies are worth the little bit of effort because they are so cute. As far as puppies go she was the best and easiest. housebroken in 1 week with no accidents (acually 1 day but she had the occational accident when excited until the weeks end) Because she is part terrier she likes to dig she quickly learned where it is appropriate in the yard to play "diggity dog" and barking became an issue at her night time potty breaks but as soon as she saw I was not happy with that behavoir she stopped! I am so happy for you! You got the best puppy! And your new best friend!

Originally posted by LeahMM
    If this is your first puppy I don't think that a Border Collie was a very good idea. Borders are very active and inteligent. They need constant physical and mental stimulation or they will end up being very destructive. Here's some things you need to do.

1. Get your pup into puppy classes imediately and dont stop there. Continue classes for as long as you can.

2. Your pup is a bit young right now but as it ages you will want to get it into Agility, flyball, herding or frizbee classes. Whatever is available to you.

Too many BC's end up in rescue because people do not research the breed. I raised an Aussie puppy, which is very close to the BC and I will never do it again. Good luck and I hope you and your family will be able to cope with your little bundle of terror.
    i couldn't agree more. being an agility and a puppy instructor i don't see many BC's in puppy classes, but i've seen a quite a few starting up agility. the only problem is that the dogs are about 2 or 3 and the owners haven't done anything with them before, so it make it really hard to make them listen.
    Whatever you do make sure that you start trining your pup early, and when he gets older i would concider agility or flyball.

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87