Thread: Cats are quite strong

Cats are quite strong

My two cats managed to get a mantle clock off the top of a high cabinet last night. It fell to the floor, breaking the door, some trim on the side, a gouge in the back of the frame, the glass in the front is cracked and did damage to the hardwood floor. I just can't believe they would have enough strength to do such a thing. I heard the crash, but didn't get out of bed to investigate due to the late hour of the event. I could just cry since this is a family clock, passed down for generations. Oh well. I shall call the insurance agent today, to see about having it repaired. The clock must weight 25 pounds. My cats weight 6 and 7 pounds each. I wish I had a camera watching them all the time, so I can see how they get things like this to happen!

No special treats for kitties today. I really yelled at them, but gee, I don't think they have a clue!

Former User Guest
    Oh no I guess the good thing is though that nobody got hurt! Too bad about the clock though. I guess your cats are pretty strong then, wow

sasvermont, yes I know cats are much stronger than is often realized. And I am truly sorry about them pushing your family heirloom off the shelf. Fortunately I have nothing with me that isn't valualble enough that it couldn't take a tumble. They will purposely push things off a shelf if they can get their paws behind them so they can effectively ease things in their way. Perhaps some of you rememeber about Shadow tearing off the pet carrier's door a few months ago. I am in the process of making an new pet carrier, one they cannot tear up. I suppose the best thing to do is not to place valuable things up where they can get behind it, because I have had them push a 15 lb fan on to the floor off of a shelf. yet I believe that they can tell by one's attitude when they have gone too far with their playing.

..............wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-21-2002 at 08:55 AM.

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by wayne0214
    I am in the process of making an new pet carrier, one they cannot tear up.
    ..............wayne
    Or at least you hope they can't, right?

C & K, unless they can tear up a wooden box made of 1/2 x 3 inch boards. with only one outlet, at the top, and that is made of slats like the rest of it.

..................wayne

Former User Guest
    LOL Wayne, I guess that should be pretty safe then!

I feel your pain! When Trevor was a kitten he pushed a depressionware candy dish off a kitchen shelf. You never saw a kitty move so quickly in your life! He scared the you know what out of himself. There was glass everywhere. This was a dish that had belonged to my mother for years. I have since learned to place those types of things in my hutch (behind closed doors). The other thing that makes me crazy about them is my inability to have any kind of floral arrangement in the house. They don't knock them down intentionally but they pull the flowers right out of the vase and occasionally that causes the vase to tumble! At times I have put flowers on that very same shelf (it is very high up!) but I have to watch it carefully. At night when I go to bed I have to put the flowers in the laundry room (again behind closed doors!) since nighttime is michief-time!! I am amazed at the strenth of your little ones, especially since they are so light. Trevor weighs 20 lbs. so I imagine he could probably push my microwave off the counter if he wanted to!

Former User Guest

Re: Cats are quite strong

Originally posted by sasvermont

No special treats for kitties today. I really yelled at them, but gee, I don't think they have a clue!
    Maybe you should have gotten up from the bed when the clock fell and yell then? Cats have a very, very, very short memory when it comes to something bad they've done

repairs

I called the clock repair place and will take it in next week. I will take a better look at the clock tonight, when I get home. After it is repaired I will use double sided carpet tape to keep it in place. I just can't figure out how they did it. Maybe it was both of the cats at the same time, wrestling. I will never know. I surely hate to confine them at night, but it may come down to it. I should have gotten up last night but I just didn't expect the noise to be coming from a precious item crashing but instead I figured they knocked a lamp over.

Cats!

What a mess

Last night I checked out the clock more thoroughly. It looks as though it was involved in a car accident. I am so angry at myself now. I should have known better. It is not life threatening, so I shall get over this!

Sorry to hear about your clock! And YES, cats can be so strong and you couldn't tell just by looking at them.. my 4mth old kitten sometimes grabs my arm and starts biting on it frantically - and his grip is so strong I can't pull away!!! My arms always look like they've been through a blender now...