Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the one thing, you can't accept in a person....

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    ignorance or an unwillingness to at least try to accept, understand, or learn something new (ie another person's point of view or different lifestyle), stereotyping (racism, breedism, homophobia, etc), dishonesty, and complete tactlessness.

Stereotyping and everthing in the parentheses following it are basically all included in the ignorance part, because that's pretty much what it is, in my opinion, those are almost all deal breakers for me. Dishonesty and tactlessness are more just things where I may still hang out with a person, but, will never fully trust them or really consider them a friend. I cannot consider someone a friend who has no control over the things they say to someone else, even if the other person is in the wrong. There are ways of being honest and blunt without being downright ugly. (like the girl in the first post said, I've gotten up and left a restaurant because someone has said something like that in public).
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Racism here too... How anyone in they're right mind can think they're better than anyone else due to the colour of their skin is beoynd me...

Nor do I approve of homophobia, but I know that a lot of people can't accept homosexuals due to their religion, so I have to take homophobics with a pinch of salt.

People who pick they're nose in public! I can't stand it! It's the most vile thing ever!

As for the girl who commented on the children... That's what I would THINK, but never say out loud! I know how annoying children can be, but as the couple with the child, obviously loved their kid (loved it enough to bring it into the world, anyway! ), it would not be up to me to tell them how to handle it. I do not approve of screaming children in a restaurant, but I belive in peoples right to take their screaming children into a restaurant! Ergo, if the kiddy-wink was annoying me that much, I'd either ask to change table, or call it a night!

Sylvie, KS' mom
    Thank you joanofark for my fab new avatar!

I don't know about one thing, but these are a couple things I can not stand in people...
    backstabing
    lying

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by King Spartacus
    As for the girl who commented on the children... That's what I would THINK, but never say out loud!
    Exactly. I may have even asked the waiter to say something to the manager or something, depending on the restaurant. I mean, if it's a denny's or something, oh, well. But, if it's a nice restaurant where I'm spending $30 or more on food, I wouldn't return there if the manager didn't at least make an obvious attempt at controlling the atmosphere within their walls.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally posted by anna_66
    I don't know about one thing, but these are a couple things I can not stand in people...
    backstabing
    lying

I agree 100%. Once you catch someone lying, they can
    never again be fully trusted to tell the truth about anything.
    Back stabing is also a form of dishonesty & is a deal breaker
    for me too. I can't understand people with these traits and I
    stay far away from them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Fox-Gal good idea for a thread! I think if I only have one choice, lying would be what I would say too. There are many reasons why people lie and some of those reasons really irritate me to (cheating on a spouse, as Cookiebaker said, is all about lies.) So many things spring off from lies. I also can't stand to be around boastful people or fake people. I also can't stand to be around people who have had too much to drink or people who use foul language. But all in all, it is lying. If I catch someone in a lie I can never trust them again.

I can't tolerate lots that have been mentioned... especially lying! Tell me the truth and I'll deal with it, whatever it is. Tell me a lie... and when I find out the truth, its ten times the trouble it'd have been if the truth was told first. And the funny things about lies... they always are exposed sooner or later.

The second thing: Rude cigarette smokers. All of my friends who smoke are very polite about it - they know I am allergic and it sends my brain into orbit, so they either smoke in their own cars & homes or not at all. Then they mask their breath by popping a mint. They are very aware how their smoking affects everyone else. Even if we're outside, they know their smoke will eventually blow onto someone just like myself and they refrain form smoking until they know it won't affect others. As my SIL say "Hey, why should others pay the price of MY addiction?"

Once, I was eating dinner at TGIFridays. It was bad enough that my "non-smoking" table was right next to the bar, separated by a little wooden half wall, but some idiot in the bar thought he was funny and kept purposefully poking his head up over the divider and blowing smoke into the non-smoking booths. Oh yeah, dude you were soooo cool

I love when I'm out and meet new people who are polite smokers. They won't know how I am about smoking, and they'll ask if I mind. I almost want to kiss them! I politely tell them I am allergic and they understand, they tell me thats why they asked.

I read this thread yesterday and was having a hard time coming up with something. There's quite a few things that I don't like in a person, but a lot of the time i'll overlook them if I consider someone a friend, which has now changed because it's gotten me nothing but heartache in the past.

Backstabbing is something I won't put up with.
    While most of the time i'm really trusting towards a majority of people, the second that trust is broken it's really hard for me to ever trust them again.

Another thing is fake people. I don't like when people pretend to be something when they're not. Don't pretend to be friendly towards me if you don't really feel that way. I can sense things like that from people. There's only a few, and I guess that's why I'm not really friends with those people.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

The one thing I will NOT tolerate in a person is lying. Once they lie, you can never trust them again.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Don't pretend to be friendly towards me if you don't really feel that way. I can sense things like that from people.
    I know exactly what you mean. I'd rather have someone just tell me they don't like me. It's all about chemistry, when someone says they don't like me, I don't even ask why anymore. It's just not important! But, I'm the same way, I usually sense it even if they don't say it, and, tend to steer clear of those folks.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Another thing is fake people. I don't like when people pretend to be something when they're not. Don't pretend to be friendly towards me if you don't really feel that way. I can sense things like that from people. There's only a few, and I guess that's why I'm not really friends with those people.
    BOY do I agree with you on that one. I can tell from a mile away. It bothers me so much when people are fake.

Originally posted by catnapper
    The second thing: Rude cigarette smokers.

Once, I was eating dinner at TGIFridays. It was bad enough that my "non-smoking" table was right next to the bar, separated by a little wooden half wall, but some idiot in the bar thought he was funny and kept purposefully poking his head up over the divider and blowing smoke into the non-smoking booths. Oh yeah, dude you were soooo cool
    I had a friend like that, who thought that it was his "right" to smoke and if someone didn't like it....to bad! We fought about that till I was blue in the face, but he was a jerk about it. Our friendship slowly can to an end, not as much over the smoking thing, sence I smoked too.

But because anyone who thinks their rights/needs out weighs another person, I can't deal with. I smoke, but I have enough respect for those that don't, to not do it around them. They too have rights and my don't out weigh theirs.

So I guess that's another one of my things. Respect

Don't be fake and don't think you are superior to anyone else .

If you cannot say something nice, rather keep your mouth shut!!!

Good Thread!!!
    I agree with everyone else too tho .....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I can't stand or accept people being cocky and overconfident about themselves in life.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Originally posted by lizbud
    I agree 100%. Once you catch someone lying, they can
    never again be fully trusted to tell the truth about anything.
    Back stabing is also a form of dishonesty & is a deal breaker
    for me too. I can't understand people with these traits and I
    stay far away from them.
    Agreed 100 % too!!

I also cannot stand people with 2 faces: they are friendly and nice to you; but once you turned your back, they say bad things about you....

In fact I also have problems withy people who never say "hi" to anyone. They walk through life with eye-clips on !!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge