Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

I'm not posting this under pet health, as I know sometimes it's normal for goldfish to change colour (ones I had a black one that turned orange, and that was "normal" I was told)....

But, Dr Evil, who's just had fin rot, but luckily seems fine now... has gotten a lot of black on him!!! Is this normal?
    How Dr Evil used to look like...
    What he looks like now...

Also, Big bugger Bubbah, who's still trying to get rid of his fin rot, has started turning black... I was wondering maybe it's a healing process?
    What BBB used to look like...
    What BBB looks like now...

Thanks for any input...!!!

Best wishes, Sylvie, KS' mom
    Thank you joanofark for my fab new avatar!

Yes, after recovering from a skin ailment or from too much ammonia in the water they develope black spots while healing. They should go away within a few weeks.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Thank you!!!! I don't mind them turning black (Dr Evil is looking really funky, actually), as long as it's not dangerous to them! hurrah! They're getting better! By the way, Brains is fully recovered! Not a hint that he ever had fin rot on him! You would never tell Dr Evil had it either, but those black spots were worrying me... but not anymore!!!

Best wishes from a very happy Sylvie, KS' mom

thats nothing to be concerned about.. pond fish get that commonly with age.. as fish age the color fade. i had a bright orange koi and as he grew he turned more yellow.

if their is black on the tips of their fins then you should be concerned, it might be fin rot...

good luck.

by the way your fish are beuties.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Hi tikeyas_mom!

The fish has just been treated for finrot (still are actaully, as BBB still got a bit left)... I have tested the water, just incase it was too much ammonia in it, as IRescue452 informed might be the problem... and the water is fine!!! Totally perfect!!!

So... my fish are perfect, if not a different colour! AND even better, BBB's top (back?) fin is working again, and he just has a tiny little bit of finrot left!!!

Best wishes from a VERY happy, Sylvie, KS' mom

Originally posted by IRescue452
    Yes, after recovering from a skin ailment or from too much ammonia in the water they develope black spots while healing. They should go away within a few weeks.
    yea ive seen that with my sisters fish. it was bright orange then within afew days it as totally black. then within afew weeks it was back to bright orange. weird. (we were worried for a while)
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Fishies are doing fine! OK... so BBB is still not 100%, but he's just as active as he was (the first one to gome and go crazy when they see me by the pond (as they know that means food)... he's VERY thin now though, but ALL the finrot is gone!

Thanks to all for caring!!!

Best wishes from a happy-happy Sylvie, KS' mom