Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is there such a thing as TRUE HAPPY marriage?

My parents were married for 60 years when my dad died. They always called each other "Honey" and "Honey". When I was a kid I thought that was their names. Even when they had a disagreement, it was "OH..Hon...eeee"! They were best friends, lovers, soulmates, confidants. They were always affectionate and "I Love You" was the most common phrase in our house. After my dad died, my mother started getting sick. mostly because she put herself last while taking care of him and never sought medical attention for herself. She spoke about him every day, even the day she died. That's a true happy marriage. It was made in heaven.

I've been Boooo'd!

Originally posted by moosmom
    I've waited all my life for Mr. Right. I'm now waiting for Mr. Filthy Stinking Rich!!!
    I told my Grandma that once, that I wanted a rich old man. She said, "Girl, he didn't get to be rich and old by sqandering money on foolish young girls." Probably true, sadly.

I've never been married, so I don't know. My grandparents had a happy marriage, for 65 years. My parents only have a happy marriage now that my mom moved out and got her own place.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by anna_66
    Ok, I was talking to hubby this evening about this thread.
    I've heard alot of you say it takes "work" or you have to "work hard", we don't feel like our marriage has ever been "work". Of course as normal couples we've had our ups and downs but we never had to "work" to keep it together. Not that we are perfect, we are a long way from that, but neither of us really understand how being with someone you love could be work
    Anna, I totally agree with you. Our 15th anniversary is this Sept. and we have never had to "work" at it. From these posts I consider myself to be very fortunate. We don't even fight, just argue and it never lasts long. I can't even say we've really had ups and downs. It's been fairly steady ever since we started dating in high school when we were seniors over 20 years ago.

I do have a clue what some of you are talking about. My parents were married for almost 58 years unti my mom died and I honestly wondered why they ever stayed together. That wasn't a true happy marriage (it was painfully obvious at times) but they were committed to each other and I know deep down they loved each other.

From Decker with Love