Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grrrr...maintenance entered my apartment again!

Karen took the words right out of my mouth. Well, put Karen!

I know in WA. where we live there is Landlord/Tenant Law.... Our landlord is REQUIRED to give 3 Days notice before entering UNLESS it is an Emergency. This law applied when we lived in an Apt. building also.

Loves to Graham and his Wonderful Family.

OH I WOULD BE SO ANGRY IF THAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think I'd be brave enough to storm in, but I think I'd scream at them on the phone!You call that legal number!Poor dog..Graham....oooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In memory of Rey's Rosebud (Rozye)
    April 26, 1990-April 26,2002
    Passed away in pain under the mercy of the needle because of severe colic.

Leslie, you sound much calmer and more composed than many of the rest of us do about this! I am so peeved I cannot see straight!

I've rented apartments in California as well as near Chicago, and in both places the following was a LAW: the landlord must give written notice (24 hrs or 3 days, can't recall which) to enter an apartment for any maintenance that you didn't request. I believe the only time they can come in without written notice is if you have given your notice that you'll be moving out, in which case they can show your apartment pretty much anytime.

Warn that landlord STRONGLY and by registered mail that you'll take him to small claims court for any damages--to poor Graham, to your heating bill, whatever--he causes next! It's inexcusable.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

HUGS AND KISSES TO DEAR GRAHAM! I hope the sweetheart is back to his REGULAR self real soon!

I guess it's my turn now! I would make real sure I found out what the law was and if they are required to give you notice before entering, then I would persue legal channels. A lot of lawyers will give you a free consultation to let you know if you have grounds for a law suit.

Anybody messing with my dogs is messing with one angry lady and better stand clear of a tornado. And I consider Graham to be one of my dear dear cyber babies!

In your case I can only wonder if it's the same jerk who caused Graham's accident and if he left the heat on intentionally.

Let me know if you want me to call the landlord and give them a piece of my mind!

Former User Guest
    Can't be legal to go to other peoples places like that! Poor Graham, hope he's back to himself now? Why didn't they learn from the first time and stay away, or at least let you know when they were coming. And I would definitely make them pay some of the bill, they left the heating on too high.

I think that noone has the right to enter someone's house without notice unless it's an emergency (e.g. burst gas and water pipes). And that's it!!! What if, instead of Graham, they would have found a dog that would have attacked the intruders? Obviously it would have been the dog that would have been in trouble not the idiots who eneterd the flat without any notice.

Did they give you an explanation of why on earth they entered the flat without warning you even though you specifically asked to be alerted? Talk about privacy as well!

I'm sorry Graham had to go through this after all that he's been through recently! You have every right to be mad and upset, I hope you will be able to move to your own place soon.

the apartment complex

leslie, do you HAVE to stay in that complex? is there any way you can move to a house of your own?
    if not i have a few suggestions. contact your attorney to send to the manager and the maintence supervisor a registered letter, addressed to them, at the complex addy, not the management company reminding them of their LEGAL obligation to let you know before non-emergency access. save the registered receipts. (alex the wonder dog has epilepsy that can be triggered by lawn spray chemicals, i have spoken many times over the years on the phone to the managers about getting notice so that i can keep him inside after the application till those toxins settle and still they've failed to let me know and alex had such a bad seizure that he went to the vet er). the day after the letters leave for them, go the office, speak to the manager and speak in a soft sweet low voice, making sure that it's obvious that you are barely controlling your FURY-act if you have too- look the manager in the eye and tell her/him there is a problem and you want it resolved NOW, what is the best way for US to fix this problem together? (i know it's their action thats' the problem, but this is a tatic) insist on getting the maintence supervisor involved RIGHT NOW. remember you are giving these fools your money, do not let them push you off. take notes in front of them, make sure it's totally clear that only emergency access is allowed, be polite, be clear, be firm. make it plain, you are considering further drastic action. this worked very well for me. (i now get a phone call from the lawn guy and the office 24 hrs before the lawn company comes. i made an impression.) i hope this helps. best wishes
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

check your lease

How horrible! I suspect that the maintenance persons just don't give a hoot and will enter no matter what you say. I would move first chance you get. Poor Graham! Good luck with "management".... Gosh. I would be so angry!

What they did is NOT legal, I'm just not sure what recourse you have. At the least it should be clearly understood now that they are not to enter without explicit permission. If your apartment is part of a complex owned by a large management company, definitely write that company, and save copies of all correspondence.

They should be so sorry for the trouble they've caused you, don't they have a heart? Did they not see the cast for so long? I hope you can get out of there soon you and Graham deserve better!!!!!

you have every reason to be MAD, they could killed the Graham.
    I am very mad now..
    Quanzhan + Zack

I'm so mad I could scream! There must be something you can do to stop this from ever happening again for as long as you have to stay there. Are there any free Legal Aid lawyers in your area? Those people deserve to be punished for all the suffering they have caused you and Graham.
    I hope you can find some legal help. In the meantime, best wishes and much love to you and sweet Graham from us.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Leslie,
    Are you allowed to install your own deadbolt? It would seem to me that this is your home, and as long as you are complying with the rules of the apartment complex, that they have no right to come into your "home" unless you are aware of it.

I'm thinking a second deadbolt would do the trick.

Please hug our laughing Graham for me. I am just so angered that he has to put up with this and that you do too.

Logan

That really makes me mad. It might not happen again if you ask the manager or rather report to the manager that your missing some cash you had on the counter and you it must have disappeared when people were in your apartment!!!!! What if they would have knocked once (if they bothered to do that) and you were in the shower and then came prancing out in your birthday suit? Who do they think they are? I don't think its legal unless you have given them WRITTEN permission to do so. You should check on getting free legal advice on this. I think you should write and sign a sheet that states that nobody can enter your apartment with out your permission unless a real emergency.

I was just thinking would you like a few (say about 30 or so) "Pet Talk People" to come down and have a talk with your apt. manager? Sure they would get the point. LOL

P.S. anybody hear from laurie B. she hasn't posted for awhile.

My superintendent doesn't even have my key. Once, when I was living here alone, I asked him to keep my key, just in case I lost mine or something. He said that he would, If I absolutely could not find someone else I trusted keep a spare key for me. He really only likes to keep keys of tenants who are elderly, at the specific request of their family members.

Even when they had people come to all of the apartments to install new toilets and shower heads, the super had to go from door to door, making appointments so that people could be there to let the workmen in.

I don't know, but it does sound strange to me that they would go in your apartment without your consent.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!