Thread: Spaying of older kitty....

Spaying of older kitty....

I know how you all feel about the importance of spaying and neutering. Until I came here and got an education and experienced problems first hand with Gidget I didn't realize a lot of things, so please don't judge me. Gidget's spay was an emergency or she could have died. The thing is we got Garfield and Rusty neutered when they were young because we thought it would be less invasive on them then the girls and didn't get the girls spayed, again I didn't realize the other problems that could occur, I just thought about them having babies and increasing an overcrowded population. Gidget got pregnant the night before Garfield got neutered, that is another story, but I don't regret it, we got Fluffy and Rusty out of it and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Now everyone is spayed/neutered except Fluffy. She is now 5 years old, she has obviously never had a litter since the boys were fixed and she seldom has heat cycles. I know it is in her best interest to get her spayed and it is something that will probably be done in the next few months, but since they recommend having this done at 6 - 8 weeks and she is now 5 years old what might I expect. I am worried. Will it change her personality since she is older? She is just a little tiny thing, is it safe for her to go through the surgery. Well, I guess a vet wouldn't do it if there might be a problem. Gidgets personality has changed a bit, but I don't know if it is due to all she went through or the actual spay, plus she seems to want to eat more. Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

My RB Mytsi was 11 when she was spayed and it didn't change her in the least. I am sure you will still have the sweet fluffers you have now. I know I am like a broken record and I know you are getting her spayed but it is for her own good and can help with health problems such as some cancers. We live and we learn. Just like you I didn't no anything about the health risks until later. But fortunately you know now and that's what matters. Now when I get a cat they are spayed at the appropriate time. I want to prevent if at all possible anything that may be preventable on my behalf. Lilith was spayed at 6 months. Actually she was spayed on her six month birthday. Vixen was just over a year as she was sooo tiny and she was over a year old before she had her first heat which lasted 1 day. When she had her first heat I made an appointment to get her spayed. You are doing the right thing for Fluffy. Good for you and good for Fluffy too.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

The benefit is far better than her NOT being spayed, IMO. Of course, if you had told me she was 15...I would agree not to put her through the risks of the anesthesia. But, shoot, 5? That is such a young thing!

She could still slip out the door someday and have a renevous with a boyfriend so you should spay her.

Not only do you prevent unwanted kitties, you help her because she'll no longer run the risk of developing uterine cancer.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Actually 6 MONTHS (not weeks) is when most cats get spayed/neutered. But 5 is not old! She should have no more complications than a youngster. And, her uterus would be easier for a vet to locate than the small organ on a half grown cat.

The only time I think age would be a factor is in an ELDERLY cat where the anesthsia would be a concern.

So, I would highly suggest getting the spay done now so that other complications (cancer of the uterous/cervix/ovaries..and other risks) don't have time to occur.

JEN,AS USUAL,HIT THE NAIL RIGHT,ON THE HEAD.
    THERE ARE MANT THINGS,OF A MEDICAL NATURE,THAT CAN HAPPEN,TO AN UNSPAYED CAT,BESIDES PREGNANCY.
    AND I THINK,AT FIVE,THAT HER PURRSONALITY,IS PRETTY SETTLED,AND SPAYING,MAY CALM HER DOWN,A BIT,IF THERE IS ANY CHANGE,AT ALL.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS