Thread: older dogs and stairs

older dogs and stairs

Hi all,

Lefty turns (or has already turned; the Humane Society wasn't more specific) a whopping 8 this month! We took him out for ice cream, and I've told him several times how happy I was that he was in the world. He seems in great health and not at all like the "old man" he really is.

However, with yet another birthday I find myself wondering about his mobility in the future. We live in a 2-story home and he follows me up and down the stairs constantly. How old were your dogs when they began showing signs of trouble with stairs, and if they are large, how did you deal with getting them up and down? Lefty is about 45 lbs. and doesn't like to be picked up. Also, if it matters, he's a Greyhound/GSD mix.

Thanks!

S
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

Our lab is gettin on a bit now so we restrict her to being downstairs only and another reason is because our whole house is wooden flooring so it would be too dangerous for her to be up and down it all the time, but if she ever did sneak upstairs we used to take her downstairs slowly holding on to her collar while she came down so she wouldnt fall of slip, if you want your dog to stop using the stairs you could buy a baby gate to put at the bottom of the stairs and give him a treat when you come back downstairs

Well, to prolong his going up and down stairs, keep him in shape!-Well, if he's a greyhound/GSD mix, I'm sure you walk him every day!

I was looking in a magazine (Doctors Fostor and Smith) and I found a ComfortLift Carrier. Here is a website for you: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2001+113678

(if the website does not work, just go to google and type comfortlift carrier dogs, and it is the 2nd selection!)

Good luck!-Steph and Jes