Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do rabbits need company?

cute lil crossbred...

I raise Mini Lops & French Lops. I do have a couple Mini Rex & a Holland Lop as pets. I used to raise those breeds but just couldn't anymore. Usually I have about 25-30 rabbits at a time & they all get a lot of human interaction & a lot of house time. Rabbits are pretty fun & I have been raising them for a long time. I haven't been in 4-H as long as I have been raising them, but 4-H is fun as well. I also do sheep & horse 4-H. We have a million other animals (cats, dogs, llama) that I'd like to get started up in 4-H as well.

thank you kittycats_delight for this wonderfil signature!

Re: Aha

Originally posted by sasvermont
    Maybe you could take your bunny to the rescue, have them bond him with another bunny, and then take the two home, putting them in a new cage/fenced in area
    i wouldent suggest that... with any new pet you have to go through a screening processes, to make sure he/she is free of disease or sickness that may hurt the other pet... I wouldent recomend taking her current rabbit to the shelter because there are many diseases and virus's floating around in the air and on the floor that are eassily spread...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

While Tikeyas Mom has a good point, any reputable rescue group or animal shelter will isolate incoming animals until their health exam is completed and the animal has a clean bill of health. These organization usually have to meet standards and guidelines in order to remain in business. Besides, the absolute last thing they want is to adopt out a sick animal and have their reputation ruined. They could possibly reported to a humane society, city or state oversight organization and/or have a damaging story printed in the newspaper. They would end up being fined and/or shut down and the animals confiscated. This should not happen in a good organization.

You DO have to be careful where you go and it's pretty easy to tell a reputable place from the bad: Ask around, what rescue organization or group did friends or family get their pet(s) from and what did they think about it? If you don't know anyone who has adopted a rescued animal, you can tell just be looking at the facility if it's a good one: is the kennel area and cages clean? do ALL of the animals/rabbits look well kept, well fed, bright, alert and playful? is their fur clean, soft, esp the back end? are the eyes clear?

BY going to a reputable rescue group or animal shelter/humane society with your bunny and having them meet before you take the 2nd bun home is your best chance at getting a good match. Yes, when you get the new bunny home they might squabble for awhile but that will stop eventually. Rabbit rescue groups can be found on the web and most have ties to professional rescue organizations so they are safe and well-run. Don't let the nay-sayers here talk you out of letting your bunny pick his own friend.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

Thanks everyone for the helpful information! Maybe sometime soon I will get Benji a friend. ^_^

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would just chime in with my $0.02.

YES, it is ideal if your rabbit had a companion. Your rabbit will most likely be happier with a friend. You are not a rabbit, you can not meet all the needs that a rabbit has- you cannot groom the way a rabbit does, you can not play a rabbit does, etc. Bonding rabbits together is not a hard task to do, as long as you do it correctly and do not rush it. Most people do not spend enough time and rush introductions, which is why you hear horror stories of rabbits fighting to death and not getting along. I adopted Peanut in September of 2004, she had been a solitary rabbit all of her life (she is estimated to be 2 years old). I am a firm believer in keeping animals in pairs, so as soon as she settled in nicely and got used to me and her surroundings I set out in search of a friend. I adopted Buster in October 2004. From what I have heard it is easier to bond male/female rather than female/female or male/male- I am not sure if that is 100% true or not!? Peanut is spayed, Buster is neutered. I split the cage in half, since they live in a huge dog exercise pen- Peanut was on one side, Buster was on the other. About 2 weeks later I swapped them, I put Peanut on Buster's side and Buster on Peanut's side- this forced them to be in each others territory (without contact). About 2 weeks after I switched them around, I took them out into the kitchen- a place that they are BOTH unfamiliar with- and let them roam the kitchen together under strict supervision. Then it was time for a car ride (they had a vet appointment), it is a stressful situation and forces the rabbits to be together- the stress of the car ride keeps them distracted from attacking each other and it is also another neuteral area that is not territory to one or the other. I think it was about 2 months after I adopted Buster that I unseperated them. Peanut's additude changed IMMEDIATELY, she was much happier and relaxed- I noticed it right away. They are inseperable now, if they are a room apart they have a fit! Every time I look at them they are either cuddling, washing each other, or playing. A companion is a must...if you have the time, money, and room- go for it!

Maya, it is not uncommon for guinea pigs and rabbits to be friends, it is quite common for rabbits for form tight bonds with other species of animals. Very cute pictures! Billie is an adorable rabbit! My bun Buster is extremely close to my cat Sammy, while Peanut absolutely hates him. Sammy and Buster play together all the time, cuddle together, and even groom each other.