Thread: Take your roach to work day

Take your roach to work day

I'm taking Requiem to work today to meet a prospective buyer for some babies. As I was figuring out a way to take her I came up with the perfect idea for shipping the little ones.

Shipping containers had to be...
    1. Secure enough that they can't escape
    2. Strong enough that they can't be crushed
    3. Non-airtight so they can breath
    4. Waterproof
    5. Small enough that the roaches can't be tossed around in them

So what did I find to be perfect...
    [img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=cassette+case/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=11qeldu5a/EXP=1120760161/*-http%3A//www.tsenterprise.com/crpoly.jpg[/img]
    Cassette tape cases!

In other news, one of Requiem's babies shed today for the first time. Here's a scan of the skin but its hard to see as its only 1/4 inch long.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

HAHA! I never thought of doing that with my hissers. Granted, I never had babies either. That's a great idea!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    How cool....but, maybe I'm missing something...how is it waterproof when it isn't airtight?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Well the lines where the two halves meet don't shut tight leaving enough air for them and roaches get their water from a wet piece of sponge that I can stick in their with them and it shouldn't leak at all. It will most likely be dried up by the time they get to their shipping desination but they don't drink often and will have thei fill before leaving if I do happen to ship them.
    Right now I'm concentrating on them mking it through their shedding. You've no idea how fragile they are when they shed. I lost four last night out of 7 that were shedding and their ravenous protein-loving siblings had a feast of all but half of one that didn't make it. I've got to start seperating the shedders into a new tank.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by IRescue452
    Well the lines where the two halves meet don't shut tight leaving enough air for them and roaches get their water from a wet piece of sponge that I can stick in their with them and it shouldn't leak at all.
    Ah, I thought you meant actually waterproof, like water couldn't get into the case, either. That's what I was confused about. They're cool pets, my friend had a few. I remember she went through the same thing you mentioned as far as the shedding. That sucks.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Roaches? Sweet! I have never heard of pet roaches before! That would be fun

Good luck with shipping!!!

I think she is talking about the Madagascar Hissing Roaches .. It the spelling is right.. LOL.. I have always wanted some.. We had some at the zoo I use to work for.. My wife loves our rodents.. But she's armed with RAID.. I don't think the roaches would last long..
    Eric

106 Ratties, 5 Mice, 12 Gerbels, 3 Turtles, and 1 Tortus.
    RIP Misty May 20 2004 - Jan 22 2005 Love Daddy