Thread: Needs tips on befriending a very skittish dog

Needs tips on befriending a very skittish dog

For a few days now, a dalmatian/lab mix has been hanging around my neighborhood. I've tried to lure her with food but she just runs away (doesn't even bother to eat what I leave for her). I know that these things take time and patience but would appreciate any tips on how I can "lure her in" so that I can help her out.

Thanks!

Food,Water...and have a Leash,Collar ready to go to her...
    Good Luck...
    Keep us posted
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

When you see the dog, sit down. When you are standing up, you are seen as a threat. Stay as still as possible. Put food a few feet away from you--smelly stuff works best. Hopefully it will be hungry enough to eat. Let it eat and leave if it wants to.

Let the dog come to you. This could take days, so don't expect quick results.

When the dog does come near, talk softly to it. It doesn't matter what you say, just keep talking. Don't make any fast moves, but hold your hand out slowly. When the dog lets you touch it, don't try to pet the top of it's head, but under the chin or on the cheek.

It may take a lot of patience and time, but it's worth it.

Good luck! And let us know how you do.

Yuppers! You have to be patient, and let the dog come to you! Have smelly treats and water. Be as still as possible, and whisper to it..Say something like,"Hey there pretty girl" or something. Watch her body movement and keep your hands spread out away from you. Naybe even put some meat flavor, that goes on dog food, on you fingers and see if she will lick them.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Thank you all for your suggestions

So far I only see her in the morning and evening and she seems to have no interest in food. Need to try some better food, I guess. I've also brought a ball out to bounce around when I do see her but my guess is that she may have never experienced ball-play before.

Situations like this make me so sad. ):

keep trying :)

how you catch the dog!!! yes, smelly food is good. maybe try catfood as it is often fishy!!!
    good luck!!
    yes it is sad to see stray dogs!! i have so far found 2 stray dogs, but luckily they were very hungry and i managed to grab them both times!!! (they are both now reunited with their family now yay!!)
    well i realy hope you manage to help this doggy!!
    good luck m8
    love from beki
    (little critter)

Any updates?--Have you gained a little bit of trust?

Steph and Jes

Update

Thanks everyone for your iput but the dalmatian has disappeared. ): I left food out for her on several occasions but I don't even know if she ate it or if it was eaten by the neighborhood cats (and ants). I'm just hoping that she's ok and maybe someone else will reach out to help her.

):

:(

hi,
    you did all you could. dont feel bad about it because i expect she will be with somone, somewhere. maybe even her family
    i hope too that she is fine.
    good for you for trying. im impressed on how you tried to help her, some peopl would have just walked the other way. to her , you were the good samaritan
    thank you
    hug
    from beki(littlecritter)

I would get some Ace Promazene from your vet. You'll have to give a guesstimated weight of the dog, but it's pretty cheap. Have it handy in case you see her again. Slip it into some smelly canned cat food and set the cat food somewhere the dog can see it and you can see the dog and food. Hopefully she'll eat it. You're gonna have to have patience and time cause it can take a while for the drug to kick in and you may have to follow the dog until she's no longer able to walk. Have a leash ready also. Or you could try using a humane trap, but that's also going to require time and patience. You can get one from Academy, Home Depot, or animal control may be able to loan you one.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Well, just keep your eye out for her!

I am glad that you tried, you did everything you could, and you taught her that not all people are mean! Thank you for taking time to do that

Steph and Jes