Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk for Cats good or bad?

Milk for Cats good or bad?

When I first got my cat (Herc) he was 7 weeks old. We feed him some milk and gave him cat food at the time. But he didn't really like milk and found water to be more him choice of drink.

My question is.. do cats like milk or not? and is milk good for them? My suster and I were arguing today. She says milk is bad for cats.

If milk is indeed good and healthy for cats, what kind of milk should they drink? And cold or warm milk is best?

Please help. Thanks!!!!!

Also.. my female kitten (Sammy) is 2-3 weeks pregnant, should we just feed her the same or free feed her? Should we also supply her with milk too?

Please help. Thanks

The majority of cats are lactose intolerant and if you do give your cat milk my vet suggested skim milk but preferred that we not give any or give cat milk. Some cats like milk others don't. I have 2 girls my youngest loves it and the older one won't touch it. When the younger one gets it she gets cat milk which I buy at a pet store and she only gets a small amount which is at room temperature.

As for your pregnant kitty. I say free feed. It is not necessary to provide milk but once again if you do provide cat milk. I am sure one of the more experienced members can tell you more and give more and better advise.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Milk for cats

When I first got Groucho, also at 7 weeks, the vet said NOT to give him any milk. The vet said water is best for cats and kittens...
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I HAVE OFTEN HERAD,THAT TOO,BUT MY MOTHER ALWAYS GAVE OUR CATS MILK,AND THEY THRIVED,ON IT,AND I GIVE,THE FOUND CATS MILK,AS WELL.AND THEY LOVE IT!!!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Milk is bad for cat, because most are lactose intolerant and have bad stomach aches afterwards. Still doesn't stop them from loving it though

If you have a cat that is in need of extra vitamins and fattening up, the vet told me to give plain yogurt.

As for the mama cat, she's going to need lots of food - especially after the kittens are born. Let her eat as much and as often as she wants. Shewill eat amazing amounts of food while nursing the kittens. Feed her kitten food so that she has lots of nutrients to pass along ot those kittens.

As she's about done weening the kittens PLEASE take her for a spay. I believe we implored you to do this earlier: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...threadid=72277

I have never given my cats milk, although you can buy special milk for cats, and that would be ok I guess, except if they are lactose intolerant, which it seems most kitties are, I agree some like it and some do not, but my two are simply not offered it.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I believe we implored you to do this earlier:
    Looks like great advice fell on deaf ears.

Yet ANOTHER irresponsible pet owner!!
    Last edited by moosmom; 07-04-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have heard that milk is hard for cats digest regular milk properly, but my cats when I was growing up loved it. I do not give Star regular milk but give her special milk for cats and it is soy rather than dairy milk. Star loves it.

Annie
    Happiness is the little things in life.

Originally posted by catnapper
    As she's about done weening the kittens PLEASE take her for a spay. I believe we implored you to do this earlier: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...threadid=72277
    Please please do take her and have her spayed. Each heat and each pregnancy could be causing her, her life. Every single heat increases your cats chance of getting certain cancers. I know this cause I lost my Mytsi 2 years ago to mammory cancer. I was informed when she was diagnosed It was due to repeated heats and pregnancy. I did not know this until my vet informed me. So if you treasure this little girl please have her spayed to help save her from possibly a miserable disease later.

Originally posted by moosmom
    Looks like great advice fell on deaf ears.

Yet ANOTHER stupid, irresponsible pet owner!!
    Surely my fellow PT'ers are better than this? To restort to insults is beneath all of us, and makes us all look bad. This is a place for advice and friendship, try and keep it that way please.

SammyCat: I do agree with everyone here, spaying is the way to go.

My two boys like milk bags, but not milk. Go figure

Since I've gotten my wrist slapped by certain members here for simply voicing my opinion, I am cross posting this from the Dog House in the hopes that it might do some good. Since Sammycat's poor kitty is already about to give birth, I HOPE that she will read this and get her cat spayed once the kittens are weaned.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...highlight=milk

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ebby sits and waits for for me to give her milk in the morning. She only gets a little though.

Originally posted by moosmom
    I am cross posting this from the Dog House in the hopes that it might do some good. Since Sammycat's poor kitty is already about to give birth, I HOPE that she will read this and get her cat spayed once the kittens are weaned.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...highlight=milk
    Donna, I am crossposting the proper link. You posted the link for the thread we are already on.

Sammy please click the link and precede to and read the link enclosed in that.

crosspost from Dog House

My parents were going to take her to the vet for a spay when we got off school for the summer. She got out of the house one day, and now look at her. I didn't even think she knew her place around, and there aren't even any cats around where I live except for the two I have.

I was wondering, how do the littel kittens even know what sex is? Never being taught what it is in the first place. thats what I dont understand.

Originally posted by kittycats_delight
    Donna, I am crossposting the proper link. You posted the link for the thread we are already on.

Sammy please click the link and precede to and read the link enclosed in that.

crosspost from Dog House
    Let me just note, the day Sammy entered our house, both I and my parents made it clear to eachother that Sammy was my responsibility. And I still hold firm to that. Sammy kittens are not going anywhere, once they are born we are keeping them and raising them in the family till they are one day old and grey. We have money to feed them and enough love to go around for everyone.

I will bring Sammy to the vet when she's had her babies and she's well again.

I hope I am doing the right thing