Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatal Dog Mauling...NOT Pit Bulls

Oh, how awful, what a shame, I don't really know what to say......

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Dog attacks NEED to be provoked? Sorry...but that is so far from the truth. No animal NEEDS to be provoked. Yes they will attack when provoked, but not always. They can have their own reasons in their heads, but that reason is not always caused by someone provoking them. I have had a dog attack me as a child. All I did was play in the sand at the beach, probably 10-15 yards away from him. He was FAR. He saw me from far just sitting in the sand, and came after me, jumped on me, and was about to bite me. Thank GOD his owner and my dad came running and got him off me before he was able to harm me, but that was one vicious dog that came after me for absolutely NO REASON. No animal NEEDS to be provoked.

This is a VERY sad story, and honestly, it saddens me that some of you always justify the dog's reasoning no matter what. It is an ANIMAL for heaven's sake. If an animal is not trained properly, or if it just loses its mind for whatever reason, it CAN attack, without being provoked. How do YOU KNOW they were provoked?

Poor guy.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by popcornbird
    Dog attacks NEED to be provoked? Sorry...but that is so far from the truth. No animal NEEDS to be provoked. Yes they will attack when provoked, but not always. They can have their own reasons in their heads, but that reason is not always caused by someone provoking them.
    Yeah, I said this earlier and was going to say a few things more (about friends I remember being attacked as kids, and, about me almost being attacked, - the dog was leashed, thank goodness - but, I thought I'd let others say their own personal experiences). But, here's what I said early in the thread.....

Re: Re: Fatal Dog Mauling...NOT Pit Bulls

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by cocker_luva
    it is always provoked. dogs dont just attack for no reason.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may always be a reason, but, it's not always provocation.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

We may not see provokation the same as a dog. Just because we think it was "for no reason" doesn't mean the dog does. Like I said, it could be a simple movement that provokes it. It's always for some reason that a dog attacks and of course we're going to justify their actions no matter what, we brought them into our world to live with us so if something goes wrong, people need to take responsibility. People take dog attacks personally like dogs are on a mission to hurt people on purpose. Dogs don't think "I'm in the mood for mauling someone today".

I highly encourage everyone to get the book Fatal Dog Attacks: the facts behind the statistics.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I agree with there always being a reason. But, even from my experience with my dog, Bruno, being attacked. The dog was running around the building, didn't even see Bruno at first. Then, just stopped and picked him up in her mouth, shaking him. He was nearly killed, and, had simply been sitting in the grass, doing nothing. He never even saw the dog coming. They'd never had any issues before. Again, maybe the reason was the dog saw him as a toy, whatever, but, I don't see that as being provoked. And, the same with babies and kids getting attacked. Maybe the dog is jealous or whatever. And, that's certainly a reason, but, I just don't see how it's provocation. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on what provocation is.

I do agree that people need to take responsibility, but, I don't agree that it is always the victim's fault. And, it just seems that it's always assumed that the victim has done something wrong, especially if it was an adult. It probably was, at some point in time, something a human did wrong by the way of the dog, but, not always the victim. Even if it started as early as inbreeding and having a dog that's maybe prone to viciousness or whatever.

Anyway.....my thoughts are all over the place on this one.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

No one said it was always the victim's fault. Provokation can be accidental, but that doesn't mean the victim was at fault. People need to quit looking at dog attacks so personally where the dog is concerned and try to understand why the attack happened from the dogs point of view. Maybe then government officials would enforce better dangerous dog and owner responsibility laws and quit with the breed ban BS and people would be safer.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.