Thread: Ouch!!!!!!!!

Ouch!!!!!!!!

LOL, I had to share this pets in the way story. Right now, I am typing without the use of my left thumb...

I was just cleaning up/reorganizing the kitchen, and I decided to put up a hook to hang my step ladder on, so that it's not just shoved in a corner. Yertle the turtle is going through one of his active periods, and he has been underfoot all morning. The kitties have also been all over the place and getting into everything. I have this huge jar full of nails and screws, which I had on the counter while I was working. The cats are, of course, curious (wonder of wonders!!), and they have knocked this jar over before, so I know what it's like to have to get down on hands and knees to pick hundreds of nails up off of the floor.

Having said all of that, I also have to say that I pride myself in being quite handy for a girl, LOL!

So here's what happened: I was hammering a nail into the wall, all the while keeping one eye simultaneously on the kitties with the jar and on Yertle, who was risking his little life by crawling all over my feet. I slammed the hammer so hard into my thumb that I dropped the hammer on the floor, just inches away from Yertle's head (and my toe, btw)!!!!! All I can say is, I have never seen stars so bright, LOL!!!! Luckily, I had my handy glass of chilled wine close by, and I promptly dunked my thumb into it! If my nail does not turn black within the next few days, I will be very surprised.

My lesson has been learned: Next time, I will not underestimate my pets' ability to get in the way and cause trouble whenever possible! LOL! But, of course, I love them and realize that it was my mistake. I thought that they could be good for a few minutes while I got something done! Yeah, right! Dream on, Thelma, LOL!!!

Does anyone else care to share a story about when your pet(s) got in the way?? (Of course, I use the term get in the way very loosely, as they are never a burden; they are my children and I love them!)

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Oh Thelma I am getting a very funny mental picture! LOL! I really enjoyed hearing that Yertle has an "active period." I have to admit I have never really thought of turtles being very active! Trevor has a new habit of sitting on one of the lower steps going down into the living room. This way he can watch what's going on in the living room as well as turn his neck and see up the stairs. The first time I saw him do this it was sort of dark in the stairway. At the very last minute, trying to avoid stepping on his tail, I almost fell down the stairs! Fortunately it would have only meant a matter of a couple of steps, but I am sure I could have managed to break something in the process! LOL!

Is there blood under your finger nail now?

Many years ago, I caught my index finger in a door , it got black and the nail fell off a few months later. Any way, I had a dental appt a week after I had caught the finger. He told me if it had happened just the day before my appt., he would have drilled a hole in the nail to release the pressure so it doesn't throb so much. You might go to an emergency room. I know they have ways to accomplish the same thing.

Former User Guest
    LOL, Thelma, good story! I can't think of anything at the moment, except close to be stories. Like after filling up their water or dry food dish, and walking back to put it on its place, C&K have to walk really close to me, watching my steps. I'm watching the cats and I've almost tripped over every time we do this but luckily almost. I'm sure the day wil come when I actually fall and then the floor is wet or full of dry food. I bet the cats would like the dry food to be all over the floor, they could play hockey

"He told me if it had happened just the day before my appt., he would have drilled a hole in the nail to release the pressure so it doesn't throb so much."

Yikes!! Dental drill, nail???? I think I'd let it fall off!!

Can't tell you the number of times I've cussed..."Star, one day you're going to break my leg!!" She loves those body slams when we're playing!! And tripping over their toys is a daily event!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Pam, LOL, yeah Yertle has periods when he will just be in a corner for days, hibernating. Other times, he will just wander the apartment. He will walk around for hours. We like to say that he's doing laps around the apartment. This behavior sometimes will last for days. I ask him where he's going, but he never answers, LOL!

Freckles, I have to agree with Sandra, LOL! I don't think I'll be asking anyone to drill a hole in my nail, but thanks for the suggestion. My dentist is lucky I let her use that thing on my teeth, lol. The nail suddenly feels much better...lol!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

For an extreme wimp (like me) who actually passed out when I had my ears pierced...you can bet I would have been unconscious within 3 seconds of driving a nail into my finger

Funny, but also pretty icky and it sounds SO painful. Did the nail go through your thumbnail?

OOPS!

This happened to me a few years ago. My house has one step up from the porch into the house. I had made a sandwich of myself between the screen door and outside door and was putting grocery bags inside on the kitchen floor when an orange and white blob flew into one of the bags, scaring me. I jumped backwards against the screen door. I happend to have on a new sweater that had an extra large weave. It got snagged in the spring on the screen door. I was trapped. Trying to reach behind and undo it just made matters worse. I couldn't step up into the house without strangling myself. To make matters worse, it was time for the mail carrier to come. He just happened to be the father of a girl I had gone to High School with. There I was, stuck like a fly to fly paper. The only thing to do was slip out of my sweater and streak into the house. Slipping one arm out, I looked around praying the neighbors were busy elsewhere and went for it. I shut the inside door behind me leaving my sweater blowing in the wind. There sat my cat, Luke, sitting on a bag of red seedless grapes he had pilfered from the groceries. I had forgotten his passion for red seedless grapes. I put on another top and went to rescue my sweater. The mail carrier had come. I was sure glad I had listened years earlier when Mom said never wear holy underwear.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 02-16-2002 at 11:44 PM.

Oh to be a fly on the wall! Great story!

Dog collision

Many years ago a friend's dog broke my nose!

We were playing at the beach, throwing a tennis ball back & forth to each other. Bidi, his beautiful Doberman, was excitedly dashing from one to the other, trying to intercept the ball.

Then when the ball was coming my way, Bidi leapt up high to catch it in her mouth. Our noses collided and we both fell over on the sand in shock! Bidi was fine but I soon realized that blood was gushing out and I soon developed a black eye. I didn't realize my nose was broken at first so had to have it re-broken a week later & set in an embarrassing metal cast for a month. The re-breaking was much more painful than the original collision & I passed out twice on the surgery floor!

Nevertheless, Bidi & I remained good friends!

Thelma, I hope you're feeling better! OUCH is right!!!!

And that sweater story is hilarious!!!! What an eyeful the mail carrier would have gotten!!!!