Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glacier's 21 Doggies!

Glacier's 24 Doggies!

glacier...I'll have to admit I'm a little bit overwhelmed with your doggies! because I don't think I have met all of them yet!

for this thread, I'd love to see you post each of them (in order of when you got them as well if you can) and so that way I'd know who's who, who look alikes and the kind/which beaus you have! of course, also to post one of your foster, the 22nd dog. I know this will probably take a long time for you but hope to see them soon! I'll bet everyone else will be waiting too.

please?
    Last edited by sandragonfly; 10-17-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: 21 to 24 now.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Please?

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

yes please

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Ok, I'll do five per post and see how far I get before the timer on my oven dings--I'm supposed to be cooking supper!

Muskwa was first. He was actually a package deal with my hubby--love Stuart, love his dog! Muskwa was 7 months old when I met Stuart. He'll be eight this fall. He's an alpha male in every sense of the word--every good sense. He is not aggressive and rules his pack through non-violent means. He's too smart for his own good.

Earle was next. Muskwa is Earle's sire. I got Earle as a late wedding present from Stuart. Earle was born a month after we got married. He just turned six in June. He's the best dog ever! Earle is the dog we can take anywhere anytime. He loves kids, old people, other dogs, cats, ect. He goes to schools with my hubby and does presentations on pet care.

Then came Sleet..well, sort of, there's a bridge kid in between, but I'll post him at the end. Sleet was given to me by the woman who got me started in dog sledding. Sleet was her main leader, but she was slowing down and wasn't happy in the dog yard anymore. For three years, Sleet was my main leader with house privledges. She just fully retired in September 04 after a couple years of training the young ones. She is the best gift anyone ever gave me, she's my canine soulmate.

Then came Kayleigh. She's a shelter dog. She was starved by her first owner. She's my problem child. I love her dearly, but she's a handful! She's extremely dog aggressive. She's come a long way on all her other issues, but that one is never going to improve. She is a doll with humans though, gentle with even the smallest of children.

Then came Bandit. I basically stole him from a former neighbor. He used to escape from them on a regular basis. He always ended up in my yard. One day I just refused to take him home. They knew where he was and didnt' care to get him back. They moved a month later. The day they left I came home to find a bag hanging on my door. It contained Bandit's AKC papers, leashes, halti, ect. Near as I can figure, I am his fourth home and his last. He's my talker! He loves to woo! Bandit is the husky they write about in books! He has every husky stereotype there is!

to be continued............
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

The next two arrived together:

Preacher

Franklin. They had been dumped at the shelter by a well-known musher. They spent a year there before I pulled them. They had to stay together as Franklin couldn't function without Preacher. Franklin was so timid he was untouchable. Preacher was so depressed he was practically in a coma! They've both come a long way. Franklin is a love bug now. He's timid with strangers, but he adores people he knows. Preacher's health is failing him. My vet estimates he's 12. (Franky is 5.) He's blind and his thyroid has shut down, but he's still happy and talkative.

Then came Goldie. Goldie has quirks--that sounds so much nicer than issues! Goldie spent over two years in the shelter. That messes up a dog's head. She hates men, with two exceptions, my hubby and his dad. She refuses to walk on a leash. She lays down and goes limp if she's leashed! She has hip problems from an old injury that was never treated. She takes a daily painkiller and is much happier now! Her best buddy is Chase.

The next two were also a package deal:

Delta

And Antare. They are littermates. They grew up in the shelter. We agreed to foster them after a disasterous experience with another foster. Summit had to go back to the shelter and they needed an open kennell. So I dropped off one dog and came home with two! They are extremely timid. Delta would be feral if he were a cat! He hasn't made much progress, but I can handle him now if I have to. Antare has come much farther. He'll do anything if it means he gets to pull.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

7. Thats only 10 Glacier, wheres the rest! I love all their stories and how they came to be at their last home! Its so wonderful, I'm actually kind of teary eyed!

Then came Chase....

I had a foster get adopted--yes, they leave occasionally! Chase was the shelter's long term resident at the time. He had been there for 14 months. He was about 18 months old. He's a big sweetie. He's not all there. We always tell him he has a few loose wires, but it's part of his charm. He just wouldn't be Chase if he were serious about anything!

Next was Crazy Raven, also a shelter dog! She also answers to Raven, Ravie, Nutball, CoCooPuffs! She's in constant motion. Always on the go, always into something. Always squealing. You've never heard a dog make a noise quite like Raven does! She's my skijor racing partner.

Immediately following Raven, within a week, came Heyoka. He also came from the shelter but was only there for a few days. My hubby fell in love at first sight and decided we "deserved an easy one!". His name is Sioux for "clown who teaches." That's exactly what he is.

Then came Pacer. I didn't really want Pacer at the time, but he needed out of the shelter and we had an open foster spot. Pacer was another highly timid dog. He still is with strangers, but he's my best buddy. He's one of my favorites and I adopted him within a few weeks of his arrival!

Then came Founder. My hubby actually brought him home, although I may have planted the idea! Founder is another shelter dog. All his buddies were here, so why not Founder too? He had been at the shelter for a long time and was going kennell crazy. He's still not big on being inside. He prefers to have space to stretch his legs.
    --John Irving

Pingo arrived next. I needed a lead dog, a musher friend wanted to get rid of her. She was well treated in his yard, but she had been bumped off his A team and wasn't getting much work. She's my main leader now. She's a silly little dog who hordes things in her dog house. I have no idea how she sleeps on top of bones, rocks and toys!

Then came Chum. Chum was found wandering on the airport runway. Fortunately, no flights were coming in so the airport staff had time to catch him instead of shooting him, which is what normally happens to animals on the tarmack! Chum was in iso at the shelter for a long time as the staff tried to assess his temperment. Chum growls constantly. It's just how he talks, but if you didn't know him, it can sound aggressive. Then one Friday night, a family claiming to be his owners showed up--extremely drunk and abusive to the staff. I was in the back with the iso dogs. When Chum heard their voices, he began to cower and tried to hide in his kennell. I leashed him up, walked him out the back door, put him in my truck and took him home. He was supposed to be "in hiding" until we found him another home. Almost two years later, he's still here!

Hobo arrived next. He was attacked by a wolf while staying in our yard. We were taking care of his dog team while their musher was in hospital. Hobo saved his entire team by slipping his collar and running away. The wolf followed him. We kept him as it didnt' look like he would survived, let alone race again. It took months to get him back to full health, but he made it. He's the happiest little dog I've ever met. He's a great puller and hates to be left behind.

The next arrivals were another twosome!

Ozzy

His littermate, Mac. Mac & Ozzy come from a line of sled dogs. They were sick as puppies and dumped as their musher thought they couldn't run. Silly fool! They are running maniacs! Mac is a leader in training. Ozzy is a team dog, but a fine one! They were also very timid at first, but they have come around nicely.
    --John Irving

Dog # 21 was Paxil. She came from the same musher who gave me Sleet. The very first time I ever drove a dog team, Paxil was my leader. I told her owner that day that if she ever wanted to rehome Paxil, I wanted her. 3 years later she called to say Paxil was ready to move on. She now has a young, sprint team and Paxil didn't like that style of running. She likes to go a long way at her pace. She's a perfect fit here! She's currently fighting Mast Cell cancer. Right now we are winning that fight.

This is my bridge baby, Hoodoo. He was Earle's littermate and our first rescue dog. He was stolen from us at 4 years old(February 29, 2004) by a brain tumor that ruptured and caused a massive stroke. He was a wonderful dog and I miss him every day. He is forever a part of this place. My kennell name is Wandering Spirits, but doggie play yard is called Hoodoo's Haven.

This is Deuce, my foster dog. It's highly unlikely that Deuce is going anywhere. He has issues and is a whole lot of dog! He survived for three years as a stray, so he's used to doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He's learning though. I'm working on some basic doggy manners right now.

This cutie shows up in my posts alot too. Her name is Daisy. She lives about a mile from us, through the forest. Her owner is nice enough, but doesn't quite meet all of Daisy's needs. So she gets her exercise by tagging along with us. She comes on every walk, sled run, bike ride ect. I never get far without Daisy! She's very sweet though and I enjoy her company.

That's all of them!!! oh, my aching fingers!! too much typing!
    --John Irving

11. Oh, I send you healing vibes for your fingers Glacier!

Like I said before, so many wonderful stories to tell! You are doing excellent at keeping all your dogs in top shape and looking their best! You are an amazing person for taking all these dogs in and giving them the running space and care they deserve!

Thanks Glacier for posting them all and telling each dogs story! They're all adorable!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

They're all gorgeous and look sooo happy. It's too cool that most of them are rescues / fosters. One big happy pack, or at least groups of happy tribes that make up a giant happy pack

Glacier, what a wonderful presentation. All of your dogs are so special and you are a very special person to give them the life they deserve. Your husband sounds like a great guy himself. I am truly amazed that two people have accomplished as much as you two have. One of the great pleasures of this board is to see your dogs and kitties and to read the stories that go with them. Not to mention the mini vacations you take us on every day. Bless you both for the generosity, patience, and compassion you give those beautiful furkids of yours and we can never thank you enough for sharing it all with us.

Terry, Daisy, and Delilah

This has got to be one of my all time favorite PT posts! I have tears in my eyes from reading about all your special dogs. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell all about them. I know your life must be filled with so much joy because of them.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06