View Poll Results: Have you experienced:

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • posts that disappear? Never

15 40.54%
  • posts that disappear? Once or twice

8 21.62%
  • posts that disappear? Slightly more often ...

6 16.22%
  • delayed posts? Never

10 27.03%
  • delayed posts? Once or twice

5 13.51%
  • delayed posts? Slightly more often ...

6 16.22%
  • having to relog in during a visit?

8 21.62%
  • having repeated notification of a Personal Message (PM)?

6 16.22%
  • getting locked into a thread by repeated PM notifications?

2 5.41%
  • other issues that confuse you here?

4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pet Talk posting mysteries ...

Pet Talk posting mysteries ...

Hi all,

I love the new look of Pet Talk and the nifty new features we have to play with, even if I can't say that I've mastered them yet ... Still, every so often I run into little glitches and was wondering whether they were all 'nut behind the wheel' issues, software, internet related or what.

How prevalent are they? I thought they were quite rare, but comparing notes with some of you in PMs, some of us are having these types of problems:
    • once or twice I've posted messages that vanish
    • sometimes (once a week or so) PT forgets who I am when I change threads
    • sometimes my post doesn't get entered for some time after I've sent it (rarely -- once a month or so)
    • sometimes I get repeated notice about the same PM - hangs up my computer (pretty much every time I get a message and don't answer it/delete it immediately)
    • has anyone else noticed other issues???

This sounds like I'm carping, and I'm sorry about that because I think this place is great, but quirks can't get fixed if no one mentions them...

I really do like it here, but don't know why there are (really rare) system hiccups sometimes.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Sorry, wasn't clear ...

What I meant by the posts disappearing is when I've posted to a thread and then go back and it's not there. This usually happens when I press "Submit Reply" and my screen seems to 'hiccup' and sometimes the post shows in the thread and sometimes it disappears ... Other times the post seems to process as usual and yet it doesn't show up in the thread... {If it were just me, I'd sigh and figure I'd fouled something up again or offended the electrons or whatever, but others have mentioned being sure they had posted and went back to reference it/check responses/whatever and their post isn't there. }

The hiccup thingie is probably a bad or intermittant internet connection problem/computer problem on this end??? And theoretically, I suppose some of my posts could be pulled for bad taste or ???, but it seems that the posts that vanish are pretty much my 'usual' stuff. Now pulling some of Olivia's lurid and steamy messages to a nameless Maine Coon rascal could make sense due to delicate sensibilities of this group {excuse me, I needed to snort here}, but they seem to make it through intact...

Bewildered here...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Former User Guest
    No problems here what so ever, except yesterday the pet talk was weird, like a slow motion movie. When I tried to go and see who's online, it didn't update it at all and was saying that I was repluing to a threat, although I finished it like 10 minutes before. I don't know was it my comp or just a problem in general, but yesterday I coulnd't see if there were any views on a thread or not. It didn't update those at all. I don't know how it is this monring, have to surf around a bit more in a moment

Other than those, we haven't had any problems, and I'm spending quite a lot time here

Former User Guest
    Ok, surfed around now, and no problems, everything back to normal here maybe it was just my comp then yesterday.

Messages vanish!!!

Just like you AmberLee I've noticed - oh about four or five times, that I've posted a message that has been received and displayed. But later on when returning to read the later messages - mine has disappeared.
    First time I put it down to old age and forgetting, but honestly since then I KNOW I've seen the message displayed and then............later on it's gone!!!!
    In fact it's happened again this morning - it's a bit like - now you see me, now you don't!!

I honestly don't think the content of these messages caused them to be removed - they weren't offensive I'm sure.

Lynne

How many boxes can I check on this poll?

Lynne - same thing happens to me occasionally - I thought I was going crazy - too many senior moments happening here

I've never had any of this happen to me. Guess I'm just lucky! Or maybe I'm just not on Pet Talk as much as some of you
    Last edited by Rottie; 02-15-2002 at 11:46 AM.

Re: Sorry, wasn't clear ...

Originally posted by AmberLee
    What I meant by the posts disappearing is when I've posted to a thread and then go back and it's not there.
    ...Other times the post seems to process as usual and yet it doesn't show up in the thread...
    Bewildered here...
    Yeah, I've had this happen on several occasions. The very first time it happened was when I posted to the thread about what job would you have in Pet Talk Ville. I remember writing something out and when I went back the next day to read the other posts, mine was gone! I just thought I was losing my mind! LOL LOL No!! I'm too young!!! Anywho, it happened just recently on another thread as well. LOL LOL

I've also had delayed posts and that usually doesn't bother me unless it makes a post look out of context like it did recently on a sensitive thread. I asked about this in a PM and it was mentioned that maybe my time zone was set incorrectly. So I went to my profile and surely enough, my time zone was set to Netherlands or something like that, so I changed it to Pacific time. Another thing that was mentioned to me is the caching of pages by my computer here at work. It could be that I am in fact reading a post that is older than I thought at the time I read it and responded.

PT is great and these little quirks are just that...little quirks, when it comes to computers...little quirks are bound to happen!LOL LOL But, I definitely didn't want to appear insensitive to the sweet people in the post I had responded to because that one particular post delay looked bad

Cheers and hugs to our wonderful moderators that make Pet Talk possible!!! I love it here!

Thought I'd bump this up. Recently, I replied to one of SAS' posts and the reply didn't appear on the thread - I found out later. The reason could be, that after hitting "submit" I went on to another window too fast. It has happened before. To avoid it, look at the bottom bar to see whether it has been processed or not.

Just thought I'd let you know that can be one of the reasons.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by Randi

... the reply didn't appear on the thread -

The reason could be, that
    after hitting "submit" I went on to another window too fast.

To avoid it, look at the bottom bar
    to see whether it has been processed or not.
    And then there's Dad's reason for Lost Replies

Dad often punches da "Preview Reply" button ~
    ta see what it's gonna *Look Like*...

...an then haz a Brane F@rt an
    FURGETz to ever punch da *SUBMIT* Reply Button!

You can SUMtimes fix THAT problem by using your Browser's
    "BACK" button to "Back Up" to the last Preview screen -
    THEN hit "Submit" that one last time!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

LOL! Phred, I've probably done that too. But you're right, using the back botton can save a lot of work. We wouldn't want to loose any of YOUR replies!

How is Boots?? hint, hint!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have problems trying to sumit a reply. After hitting 'submit reply' it just sits there. It usually takes several tries to get it to go.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by Rottie
    I've never had any of this happen to me. Guess I'm just lucky!
    Same here -- occasionally I will get Internet hiccups, but that's just the nature of the Internet or my ISP acting strange. Never had any problems like those listed with PT, other than PIBKAC (Problem Is Between Keyboard And Chair)

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10