Thread: girl or boy??

girl or boy??

woops!! I believe I've put this post in the wrong place, I'm so sorry about this!

Can anyone tell me the sex of my parakeets? I'm having a little trouble with the sex of one of my birds. I have two of them, one green with a little yellow, and the other is white with just a few specks of blue on it's wing tips. I've always heard the females have a peanut butter colored or fleshy to pink colored area just above their beaks, and the males are blue to dark blue or purple color above their beaks. I know the green one is a female because her color looks like dried peanut butter. But the white one has a very light pink color nearest to her beak and it turns into light purple and then blue just around the edges up above. her's looks like soft velvet compared to the other one's dried look.

I've always thought they were both girls, until a friend told me the white may be male. They have been together for years now and all they do is fight. I've even had to get them an extra large cage, 3ft by 2ft, to prevent their fights, but it hasnt helped any. The green bird screeches all the time, while the sweet white bird sings and sings, seems even when it's asleep.

Thanks for any help with this!
    Jenn

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible"

I don't know anything about those types of birds but maybe provide pictures so people who do can see?

Sex of Parakeets

I worked in a Pet store for awhile and we told the sex of parakeets by their beaks. Blue boy and pink girl. Sometimes it was difficult to tell as you have noticed.
    Parakeets do better in pairs than alone. Unless you are looking for a parakeet to teach tricks too. Parakeets alone make great human pets while pairing them makes themselves good pets to eachother. It just makes it more difficult to train if they are together a majority of the time.
    They may fight out of boredom. Make sure to give them a mirror and enough play toys. Maybe that will distract them a bit. However, you may need to separate them but put them in cages next to eachother. That way they can see eachother and not be lonely.
    Breeding parakeets is extremely difficult. From my experience, male and female parakeets may never breed in captivity. They can stay years with eachother and never produce. If you do want to breed parakeets it is possible but their living conditions would need changing. More privacy with a cover over their cage and a special nest can be added to the cage. They need a "romantic" atmosphere to possibly reproduce.
    So if your birds are female and male they may not reproduce unless you intentionally want this to happen. Good luck! Maybe provide some pics!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Oh no scooby, I do not want to breed them! My husband got the white bird for my daughter and about a year later I got the green bird to keep the white one company. They have 3 big mirrors(which need cleaned constantly) and 5 perches at different levels(their cage is huge!) 3 different food trays, 2 separate waters(so both can eat without a fight), and toys hanging everywhere! I have never gotten them out because of my 5 cats in the house, I dont want to even risk it! I have thought that they fight out of boredom also, but they love each other too, and have been together now for about 6 years so I wouldnt want to separate them, their cage is big enough so they would never even have to see each other if they didnt want to! LOL!
    Thanks for your suggestions! I didnt know that about the breeding.

Jenn

If the parakeet has a blue cere (the area above it's beak), then it's defenitly a male. But if it has a brown or beige cere, it can be a male, but usually it's a female. One of my parakeets had a pinkish cere when we got her, but then it turned brown. How old are your parakeets?

Thanks for making this sig for me, Popcornbird!

I got "Summer" the white bird about 5 years ago, and then got "Spring" the green bird a year later to keep her company.
    I just took these pictures a few minutes ago, but they would not pose and show me their beaks! The camera really freaks them out!

Oh by the way, what age do parakeets usually live to be? I guess I've never even thought about it until you asked how old they are,LOL!