View Poll Results: Do you groom your own pet?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do all of it my self.

14 43.75%
  • Trim Nails

8 25.00%
  • Clean Ears

4 12.50%
  • Brush Coats

12 37.50%
  • Shampoo

2 6.25%
  • Groomer does parts I don't do

3 9.38%
  • Groomer does all of it

3 9.38%
  • Other and please explain

6 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you Groom your own pet(s)?

Do you Groom your own pet(s)?

Hi, I'm curious if others that are owned by cats groom the frisky felines or pay someone else to do it?

A friend or a vet trims the nails for me since I'm on anti-coagulants. Bathing and such gets done at the groomer. I have all short hairs so I don't worry about brushing, although I think we all would benefit if I did that.

Oops put cats in the titles because they can be so difficult to groom. Then I put "pets" on the poll. Dog owners and other pet owners can do the poll. Just let us what pet you have.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Mine are both short haired so very little grooming is necessary. I will brush them and trim their nails myself, though.

I will add, I haven't attempted to bathe either of them since Voltron was very young. He would probably let me bathe him, but Pretzel would probably not... so unless I need to, I don't haha.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Mine are both short haired so very little grooming is necessary. I will brush them and trim their nails myself, though.

I will add, I haven't attempted to bathe either of them since Voltron was very young. He would probably let me bathe him, but Pretzel would probably not... so unless I need to, I don't haha.
    Wow, that was quick! I hadn't even finished the poll. Same here for me. I used to bathe, but it became hazardous to my health years back!
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I will brush their coats on occasion, a friend or the vet helps with the nails. A groomer does the rest when required. It usually isn't.
    Anne

A long time ago I used to take all of my cats to the groomers to trim their nails. This got to be too stressful on them and expensive for me. Now I trim nails as needed and I try to comb them at least once a week. If they get severly matted then they go to the groomers. Both Storm and Sky needed kennel cuts because they became badly matted. Alani will also sometimes become matted but so far I've been able to get the mats out. I won't bathe my cats but I have had to give some of them much needed butt bathes before.

I clip their nails, clean their ears and brush them. The brushing is our one on one time together. Giz loves it so much that she gets frantic about it and grabs for the brush.... she will take the brush (or comb) from you and try to do it herself. I got her one of those cat brush things that you sit on the floor and the brush is like a upside down "U" and she LOVES that thing and uses it all the time. That thing need vaccuming often.

I have not ever, nor will I ever try bathing one of mine! I value my hands and arms to much to risk it! LOL!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Ten years ago, I never thought it would be possible, but I brush Fister, clip his nails and clean his ears - and recently I have brushed his teeth, too. He will only allow me to brush the front ones, though. I bought these little childrens toothbrushes - actually I think he enjoys it, at least afterwards.

Other than that, I give him paw massage. I know he likes that. Oh, and I scrape off dirt from his nails too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Cassie LOVES to be combed. She tolerates claw clipping-- she was front paw declawed when I brought her home, so we only have to do her back paws. She doesn't run kitty sprints very often anymore-- I used to find bits of her claws in the rug when she did them more frequently. I have never been able to touch her ears. I'd like to get one of those mitten things that looks a little like a pot holder- you can pet and brush at the same time. I think she'd like that.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Cassie LOVES to be combed. She tolerates claw clipping-- she was front paw declawed when I brought her home, so we only have to do her back paws. She doesn't run kitty sprints very often anymore-- I used to find bits of her claws in the rug when she did them more frequently. I have never been able to touch her ears. I'd like to get one of those mitten things that looks a little like a pot holder- you can pet and brush at the same time. I think she'd like that.
    Save your money. I've got two of those. One's a glove with tiny knobs. It feels good to kitties, but doesn't do much for the hair and shedding.

The other has small plastic spikes that give the impression that grooming takes place. Some does and the cats might actually enjoy it. Not near as effective as a traditional brush or a defurr-minator.

And my kitties are DSH's. I believe Cassie has longer hair? You can get the glove, but don't hold high expectations for defurring. Cassie still might enjoy it.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post

I have not ever, nor will I ever try bathing one of mine! I value my hands and arms to much to risk it! LOL!
    LOL. Reminds me of one of my posts to freecycle: I was giving away cat stuff and cat shampoo was included. I stated that the shampoo was fine, but I valued my life too much to try again. Got a few funny responses.

Thanks for the reminder1
    Anne

Yep yep....we do the occasional baths, nails, ears, brushing, even shaving Sherpa because he gets hairballs incessantly when his fur is long.

Of my ten- Minnie goes to the groomer for a near complete shave down once a year, right as it gets really hot here, and so that it is somewhat grown out when it gets cold again. She has very fine, cotton candy-like hair, and her reclusive, under the bed, always lying down, nature means more mats. She and Dakky, have no front claws. Dakky is medium haired, but he just doesn't mat. So, that is 2 out of 10 cats.

Of the remaining 8- 6 get their nails trimmed by me, and if I am feeling lucky, one more sometimes does. The other one, Gus, gets nothing. No grooming, nails, vet visits, etc. He simply can't adapt to it. The last visit to the vet was 4 years ago, perhaps, and he bit through the vets webbing on each hand, and scaled the walls. We won't ever repeat that.

Of the 6 that I do clip regularly, they are all pretty easy to do, and with that sort of practice, I am pretty fast at it.

I do the occasional butt cleaning, and mat clipping of them, when necessary. But, half of my cats (Monte, Cali, Tuck, Sonic and Molly) are pretty short haired. Ari, Minnie, Gus and Annie-pants are very long haired. Minnie, she gets the shave down.

I clean ears and clip nails of my "furred" babies. They don't require regular bathing as they're all indoors. I used to bathe the ones I showed in Household pet in the bath tub. It was pretty easy. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

As far as Isis and Utchie is concerned, that's a whole other story. I just gave Isis a bath today and she is a DREAM to bathe. Stands in the kitchen sink till I'm done and then hops up on the counter where the drying towel is. Utchie on the otherhand, is a pain in the @$$!!!! He's awful. Every try to hold onto a squirmy naked cat while he's wet??? I've been forced wear a hoodie to prevent him from making mincemeat outta my chest and arms. That's why I've been forced to use "waterless" foaming shampoo most of the time. I only throw him in the sink when I absolutely HAVE to, like every other month. I don't understand why people think Sphynxes are easy to maintain because they have no fur, as they're not.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I do 99% of the above mentioned grooming, but then, I am a pet groomer.

With that said, I still do not bathe the cats at home in the conventional sink or tub, unless absolutely necessary. Simply seasier with the correct equipment at the grooming salon.

I do leave Calvin and Bonnie and Willow's nails either for their vet visit or do them as seldom as humanly possible. Too traumatic.

I trim nails. I should brush them regularly, but am very lazy about it. Actually, I'm not even sure where the brush is. Taz would attack the brush when I used to brush him.
    Years ago I had to bathe Taz when we had a horrible flea problem. 5 dogs in the house brought them in to Taz. My sister helped me and we both came out without a scratch.
    I could clip Taz's nails by myself, he was such a good boy. But Paizly and Jax........Bruce has to hold (scruff) them for me. I tried just the other day to clip Jax's. I got one (nail, not paw) done and he was GONE!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)