Thread: Cats in planes

Cats in planes

Sorry I am taking over this forum, but since you are the experts (because you really are) I have a problem I need to ask for some quick advice.

As you know I am living in Turkey, well we have plans to move back to my country which is Puerto Rico. We are planning to take our cat and one of her babies (if she is in fact pregnant). The problem is I dunno anything about traveling with pets, and the trip is sooo long I am not sure if they will survive the trip. I really dont want to leave her here, in this month and a half I learned to love her and it will be cruel to make her get use to another home.

I heard I can take her inside the plane cabin if the box fits in the down part of the front seat. How can I know if we can do this?
    We may be use Delta or Martin Airlines, but I guess Delta will be better since it will make only one stop, the other airline stops in Amsterdan then Dominican Republic and then in San Juan, what do you think?
    By the way she hates the cage, is there any way I can tranquilize her? what sort of things I will need to enter to the country with a pet?
    If we go, we will go in May or June so the kitten will be like 2 monts, will that be ok?
    I thank in advance

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    First of all: make sure your cats are healthy!!! It's quite something to travel with pets, especially when they have to travel for many hours, in carrier and also in a plane. You should also make sure that your cats have all the vaccinations required.

Contact the airline you want to fly with in order to get information from them. Every airline has different rules and regulations.

To make your cat more comfortable with the carrier, is leaving it in the livingroom with the door open and a nice cosy blanket in it. Your cat might check it out. You can always talk to your vet about sedation.

When we had big plans in moving to the USA, the best information I got was from the American Embassy. I'm sure your country has the same information available for you.

If possible your cat should travel with you on board. Don't let your cat travel as cargo. The temperature changes drastically there from hot to cold and back again. As travelling is already stressful, the last thing you want is that you cat has to go through that alone in her carrier for many hours.

I'm sure other Pet Talkers have more information for you.

We have plans to move to Northern California in about a year and will be bringing our cats with us. We WILL tranquilize them both. Ask your vet about how to this, he/she can offer more tips as well.

Let us know what you find out...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

MAKE FLYING FRIENDLY FOR YOU AND YOUR PET

DENVER -- According, to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) 1996 Pet Owner Survey, 53 percent of pet owners vacation or travel with their pet. In many cases that means airplane rides for dogs, cats and other animals. Planning and preparaticn can make the trip safe and pleasant for both people and pets.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the transportation of animals such as dogs and cats, so airlines generally have the same requirements for pet travel. However, before undertaking a long trip, travelers should contact the airline in advance for specific pet travel information.

Reservations for travelers and pets should be made at the same time since only a certain number of pets are allowed on each flight. A direct midweek flight or one with minimum stops is usually best. Owners should keep in mind that if their pet is small enough and can comfortably fit in an airline-approved carrier underneath the seat in front of them, the pet may travel in the passenger cabin.

AAHA suggests, and major airlines require, that the pet be examined by a veterinarian no more than ten days prior to the date of travel. Current health and rabies vaccination certificates from the veterinarian will be required at the time of departure. The age and size of the pet, time and distance of the flight and regular dietary routine must be considered.

Regulations state that dogs and cats must be at least eight weeks old and weaned at least five days before flying. The pet should also be exercised, placed in the cage with complete identification and a license tag by the owner and picked up promptly upon arrival.

The proper cage, available from most airlines or pet shops, should have the following features:

Large enough to allow the animal to stand, turn and lie down

Strong, free of interior protrusions, with handles or grips

Leak-proof bottom covered with plenty of absorbent material

Ventilation on opposite sides, with exterior rims or knobs to prevent blocked airflow

Label with "Live Animals," including arrows indicating upright position and the owner's name, address and phone number
    Travelers should also be aware that if the final destination is a foreign country or even Hawaii, there may be a quarantine or other health requirements to consider. A full-service travel agency should be able to provide this information. Travelers may need to contact the appropriate embassy or consulate at least four weeks in advance.

Finally, owners should consider whether the pet is comfortable with traveling. Some animals do not function well in unfamiliar surroundings, and an unhappy pet can make a trip miserable for everyone. Some ill or physically impaired dogs and cats cannot withstand the rigors of travel. If this is the case, veterinarians advise pet owners to leave pets with a friend or relative or at a clean, well-run boarding kennel.

Information provided by the
    American Animal Hospital Association
    PO Box 150899
    Denver, Colorado USA 80215-0899
    303/986-2800

Try this link for specific help

www.globalanimaltransport.com