Thread: Halti VS Gentle Leader

Halti VS Gentle Leader

Hi! thanks for reading this post.
    I have a prblem with my 2 year old German Shorthair Pointer. SHe is the love of my life and lives for walks, but I can't walk her :-(
    She pulls so badly that she will make her neck bleed from the collar.
    I took her to obidience and still she pulls.
    I have heard of the Halti and Gentle Leader type harness's . HAve any of you used them and what do you recommend?? Any other help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The halti and gentle leader are basically the same except the gentle leader can be tightened around the muzzle if your pooch is a snapper. Both work on the idea that where the head goes the rest of the dog will follow. I've had good sucess with them on a wild setter/pointer? mix. Also used in my obedience class is the "Scruffy guider"- see www.mistypinesdogpark.com for info-I've never tried it but I've seen it used sucessfully on big strong dogs.

I use a halter on my 18 month old Boxer boy when we walk, it's so much easier. You have more control over the chest area and your arm isn't killing you when you come home!

Give it a try, take her into a pet store and try halters on to make sure you get one that fits. I had purchased a 31" when we first got Pudge at 8 months old and he outgrew it within 2 months! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info!
    Have a great day!
    Chris

Chrissy,
    If you are going to use a gentle leader or a halti on your dog, please be sure you know how to use it properly. The theory behind the gentle leader is that the strap over the back of the neck and the nose strap will exert downward pressure on the dog's head and neck as the loop that is attached to the leash is pulled up, on either side of the dog's face. This downward pressure is seen by the dog as dominance by you, and it is more likely to submit and obey. Please check with your vet or someone that knows how to use the gentle leader before using it, so that you use it to its greatest advantage, and so that you don't hurt your dog.

This is a P.S. to tsmom
    The gentle leader nose strap does not prevent a dog from biting. The nose strap is attached to the rest of the gentle leader in an area behind the dog's mouth. It can still open it's mouth to pant, drink, or bite if it wanted to. It is not a muzzle! Just wanted to clarify that.

How odd-I've seen the trainers in my classes tighten the gentle leader enough so the dog can't open it's mouth wide enough to take a chunk out of someone-can still snap I guess, and drink and pant. I use the halti that only tightens when pressure is exerted on the nose strap. Both are really effective in controlling a puller. On most of my guys I use a greyhound collar (humane choke) because they are difficult for the dogs to slip out of.

Hi tsmom. Thanks for the info.
    I am interested in the greyhound collar. The thing I am afraid of is that she will get out of the Halti she hates it. Did you say it was a humane choke? Can I find it at a Vet or a store? thanks once again for your help!!
    Chris

Hi again tsmom,

I went to a seminar on the gentle leader and got all my info there. They also have a website www.gentleleader.com if you are interested in looking at it. I just wanted to make it clear to everyone that it is not a muzzle.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by boxerpudge:
    [B]I use a halter on my 18 month old Boxer boy when we walk, it's so much easier. You have more control over the chest area and your arm isn't killing you when you come home!

Hello Boxerpudge, are you still on here anymore?

Hi, I'm definately no expert but just a tip for the figure eight halti that I have found to be a godsend, and surprisingly gentle for the results you get. let your dog first get used to the halti in the house and garden. When first putting on the halti, hold a treat the other side of the loop that goes over his noise, and let the dog put his nose though and you just guide. Then attract attention away from the halti with training, toys or affection. As soon as he looks like he is going to pull it off with his foot, or on ground / furniture, remove it. Then try again the next day or later, reward with treat. You can clip the halti to his regular collar at the back of his head at first, so if he does pull it off while out, you haven't lost your dog. Then once used to haltie, clip it under the chin, which gives supurb control, although took a while with my doppy dog to even realise what was going on. Also when off the lead, remove the halti, and then he can't learn to take it off. A couple of days patience with getting him used to the halti and it's worked wonders for my springer, who is impossible on the lead. Although, still not perfect yet, he's coming along nicely. Gook luck