Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Open for discussion

Open for discussion

Hey. I am fairly new to this forum.I am also a huge dog lover. I have two myself.I was referred to this forum, and thought "why not?"A place I can go to talk dogs.As I posted a thread , I had a few warm welcomes.And that was it.I realised that there are "clicks" and if you don't fit. Oh well.Some people post and don't get a single reply. I know it is quite a diverse group.But what do we all have in common?? Our dogs, no matter what breed, what size, how well behaved they are , how smart they are, it shouldn't matter.It is all in fun. I wonder if this POST will prove my point.hmmmmm

2. Hello there.

What breed are your two dogs and how old?
    i have a Toy Poodle 8 and a half pounds of fuz and hes almost 7 years old.

i post here alot. at first was wondering if anyone ever noticed me.. but i learned it helps to post in other peoples threads,, and in turn they get a little familiar with ya,, and they will post in yours. sometimes it just takes a while for people to warm up to new comers.

dont give up yet,, it does take a while for even 'you' to get familiar with everyone. i still dont know everyone by name or pets yet. so just hang in there okay?

and your right. it doesnt matter what other people think,, or how many replies you get in a thread. what mattters is that you love your pet/s.. and that is what we all have in common here on Pet Talk.

and welcome to Pet Talk!

Yea, I see that too to some extent.
    I often read a lot of threads but don't comment on them. I probably post on half the threads I read at most. Often times someone else has already said what I was thinking so I move on without posting. I don't say to myself "theirs a thread by so-and-so, I don't want to bother posting there, oh and here is a thread by my friend, I think I'll post there." I read and then post where I have something to say.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hi MsMini and a belated welcome to Pet Talk! Please forgive me if I missed your introductory post, I've had a tough time keeping up here for awhile! Pet Talk is very big and more people joining all the time, which I think is great, but it gets very hard to keep up!

I would think of it like this:

You walk into a very crowded gathering of people, and many are standing in various groups chatting familiarly with each other. As you walk by, they may smile and nod at you, maybe say hello if you make eye contact, but most won't do a lot more than that at first because they don't know you at all yet while the person they are having a discussion with they have come to know and have talked with for a year, perhaps 2, maybe even more, so they have a lot to say, a lot to discuss.

It's not a perfect analogy but I hope that helps a bit. Until people know more about you and your pups, until they see your name a lot and answer questions and comments you have made, they simply haven't thought of much to talk about with you. I know it may appear cliquey, and there are definite circles of friends that have formed over time, but it is simply a natural thing to gravitate in discussion to those you are more familiar with. My experience has been you just have to keep trying. The more you say and talk about yourself, the more interest and conversation you will spark. In any situation in which I have been new, whether it be a new student at school, a new employee at a job, or new to a message board, it takes time to develop rapport and friendships with people. On a board like this one with so very many members, you can spend literally hours trying to keep up with all the posts. Thus, when people have only 5 minutes to spare, they may just go specifically to posts of those people they know in order to answer them.

As Vette advised, the very best way to get people to know you is to spend time in their posts, commenting on pictures, asking questions about their pups perhaps, and even telling of experiences with your own pets. It's never easy feeling like a new person or an outsider, but everyone has to start out that way and in a community this large, it will take some time to get to be known, but once you do the reward of many wonderful friendships is well worth it! I sure hope this helps, and I do hope that you will soon feel more welcome and a part of Pet Talk
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Hi MsMini!

I've found over the years of posting at message boards that what works for me is to post for myself and don't worry about responses. I've written stuff or made videos that I got such kick out of it. Just chuckling to myself over them and those might not get very many responses.

Then I've done other posts that I thought were eh, and got a truck load of responses. You just never know what's going to connect with people, but if you have fun in what you're writing or creating, then you'll never be disappointed.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Re: Open for discussion

I remember posting in your welcoming thread and it recieving a large amount of welcomes.

I also notice you only have a few posts here, and a lot of the time it takes replying to others and commenting nicely to them to recieve the same respect. I've noticed a lot of the time the people who don't reply often and get in group discussions and such are the same ones who have said something along the same lines you have here.

I don't believe it mattered to anyone here what breed, size, trainability, ect. someone's dog is.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Re: Re: Open for discussion

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I remember posting in your welcoming thread and it recieving a large amount of welcomes.

I also notice you only have a few posts here, and a lot of the time it takes replying to others and commenting nicely to them to recieve the same respect.
    so youre saying people have to pass an inspection and meet others approval to get the curtesy of a polite response???? Just asking is all.......

Re: Re: Re: Open for discussion

Originally posted by LorraineO
    so youre saying people have to pass an inspection and meet others approval to get the curtesy of a polite response???? Just asking is all.......

I never said or meant anything close to that.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Hi MsMini
    i LOVE your two pooches, i sure can't forget a handsome Dobie when i see one!
    Got any new pics of Nitro and Mini?

What the hell are you talking about?

MsMini,

I would love to see some pictures of your pups! I think I missed your welcome thread though!

You're just not going to give up on this vendetta against Kay
    are you? What is wrong with you lady? Geeze.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am just asking a question,,,,,, you see her freaking out?? I dont,, and neither am I!!

I am just asking a question,,,,,, you see her freaking out?? I dont,, and neither am I!!

I'm not freaking out because i've learned not to take anything you say to me to heart. While generally all of the things you have said to me are very upsetting and just looking for a fight, I was taught not to let ignorance hurt you. You may chop and skew everything I say, but I know what I mean.

Now please, leave me be and move on.

and here I thought i asked a viable question..... just reading what you said...

Lorraine, you're a year older than me so I would think you would know how to behave. Are you going to "stalk" Kay in every thread now and attack her every word? I don't know what's going on in your life right now but I know this isn't the way you normally behave. As stated in the other thread, pm Kay or ignore her if you've got such issues against her. And, Msmini, you kind of laughed with Lorraine in the other thread so I'm wondering if you started this one just to further the conversation started there?
    QUOTE]Originally posted by MsMini
    Hehehe Hi Lorraine. [/QUOTE]
    http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...5&pagenumber=4

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06