Thread: Cat pees on clothes

Cat pees on clothes

Help! I am at my wits end. I have a 9 year old cat, whom has been both an outdoor and an indoor cat.
    Arti used to pee on peoples clothes that she did not like. Back then it was rather funny-my ex husband was sleeping with his sectratary and she (the cat) pissed on his clothes daily.
    Now though it is becoming a big problem. She is peeing on everything, and her litterbox is in the same room. It is kept clean.
    Any ideas on how to stop this?
    Thanks, Tadaaa

first suggestion take her to the vet and make sure everything is ok. Once you have done that and rule out problems then we will all put our heads together and see what we can come up with. I have never had this problem so I really don't know what to tell you if it is not a medical issue.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    What kittycats_delight said ~ I agree. I'd definitely get her checked by the vet to see if she has a urinary infection of some sort. It may be that she is desperately trying to get your attention and doesn't know any other way. Please keep us posted.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Hi there,
    I had this problem for a while and it's frustrating, to be sure. And once they find a spot, they go back again and again. So, have your vet check her for any problems. My Puddy has NEVER done that but when she first started getting a UTI, she peed on the carpet, hardwood floor, anywhere, but she wasn't sneaky about it. She did it right in front of me. That was a bright red flag! Once/if your vet rules out illness, I can tell you a few things I've learned:

1) Cats are peculiar about scents and odors. If there is a perfume, cleaning agent, air freshener, etc. that a cat doesn't like, chances are good that they'll pee where the offensive odor is. (That could explain why she was peeing on your ex's clothes. She prob. didn't like the girlfriend's cologne.) I had a friend that Boo, one of my males, didn't like, or so it seemed. He'd wait 'til she sat down, then come up behind her and grab a mouthful of hair and yank it as hard as he could! After the process of elimination, we figured out that it was her hairspray that was offensive to him. She stopped using it and he stopped doing it. And Boo is the most easygoing, cool cat you'll ever love.

2) If you've recently introduced another cat into your home, a cat who's already established in the home may pee to mark territory. (But I'm sure you already know that.)

3) Sometimes a cat will do a "spite pee". My male, Specs, used to do it when I had to work longer hours than I do now. Since I'm home more, he doesn't do it. When I would walk in the door, he'd make eye contact w/me, then spray right in front of me. I thought he was telling me that he was sick. No, he was telling me "Mom, I miss you."

Hopefully, these things will help you out but don't neglect going to the vet and having her checked. Then if she still does it, start going through the check list. Good luck.

Blessings,
    M

Hi TD and a very warm welcome to Pet Talk. I live in BC also, specifically New Westminster.

I'm agreeing with the others in that you should rule out any medical problems first...especially a UTI. UTI's are simple to treat with meds if you catch it early.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Hi Tadaaa, I also live in BC. I'm in Kelowna. Where abouts are you?

I had a big problem with my cat, Caleb, peeing on things. Mostly beds. I finally pinpointed the problem to kibble -- he is usually fed RAW, but I'm pretty sure that the days he peed, he was given soem kibble.
    I've been BOO'd!

Hello & Welcome to PT!! First things, first! Have a vet rule out any health issues then behavioral problems can be addressed. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Wow..thanks for all of your suggestions-I have a few new loads of laundry to do after the weekend.....
    Thanks, Tadaaa

Hey wolfsoul...

I am from Penticton...small world

Cool! Want to come to the Pet Talk Meeting in Kelowna next month? It's going to be fun!

These links will tell you what it's all about.
    Kelowna Meeting Details
    Who's All coming...
    I've been BOO'd!

Thought I'd pass on something that helps me out...if it's the same items of clothing or same area getting "annointed", the smell is very hard to get completely out. Even if we don't smell it, they can. What helps a bunch for me is adding 1 to 2 cups of white vinegar to the offending laundry. I also wipe down/wash the floor/carpet with a mixture of water and white vinegar. Cats hate the smell, plus it seems to eliminate the urine odor so they leave those things alone. Hope this helps you.

Jen
    Give me your tired, your abandoned, your unwanted and I will give them a life of love.

My angels: Audie, Cheerio, Cherokee, Cobra, CoCo, Ginger, Noel, and Sam - You will live in my heart forever

Yes, I've found white vinegar excellent. Tried it for the first time a few weeks' back on the carpet. Highly effective, cheap and no nasty chemicals. Vinegar smell soon wears off too, just leaves it "neutral". Brilliant.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)