Thread: I got a turtle!!!!

I got a turtle!!!!

I just got a new pet its the cutest thing its one of those miniture turtles my grandmother brought it up from south carollina. Now I have a question or two ask any turtle exeperts out there 1. can the turtle survive in the cloder climate in PA 2. how much food should I give it and how often. If anyone can help me out reply to this so I know what to do.

It is going to be a pet, right? So you will be keeping inside, ahere the temperature will be just fine for turtles. You can buy "{turtle food" called Herptomin, at most pet stores, but other than that, we'd need to know what kind of turtle he is! Why noy go to Pet of the Day, and use the "search" button to find all the turtles that have been Pet of the Day. look at their pictures, and see which one looks like your new friend!

He looks exactly like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Turtle

What a lovely picture, I have never had a turtle before but I think that it is important to get the right temperature, I would read up a lot on the subject just to make sure you are feeding them correctly.

But I'm sure you will do a great job of caring for them.

omg! i want a turtle sooooo bad. there are always bright prnage trucks on the side of the road selling thoose lil turtles! just i heard your supposed to wash your hand befor and after touching them or else they can transmit some desease to you.. be careful!

Originally posted by Kfamr
    omg! i want a turtle sooooo bad. there are always bright prnage trucks on the side of the road selling thoose lil turtles! just i heard your supposed to wash your hand befor and after touching them or else they can transmit some desease to you.. be careful!
    Baby Turtles carry salmanela (sp?)

My aunt use to keep baby turtles & would never let me play with them...mad me soooooo mad ! lol

For a good, comprehensive idea on what and how to take care of your new friend, this page is thorough: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/res.html

You have a red-eared slider if it looks like Leonardo and Michaelangelo. Congratulations!

What Kayann is referring to is that, with any turtle or actually I think any reptile, you should wash your hands before and after handling them. That way you keep any human-illness from getting them, and keep some sicknesses they might carry (Salmonella, I think, is the usual worry from small turtles) from effecting you. Not a big deal - washing your hands before you touch food is always a good idea, anyway!

Does your turtle have a name? What kind of container do you have him in now?

Thank you for the information the turtles name is mrytle and I bought him this cute little (its big for the turtle anyway) tank with a little pool and how to put it umm "dryland area" with a little toy palm tree in the middle I show you a picture when I take some

I think our very own Thelmalu may want to comment on this thread. She is the proud owner of Yertle the Turtle and may have some words of wisdom to impart. I had turtles similar to the ones in the picture when I was a child. I think they are harder to get these days, though, due to the salmonella scare that is associated with handling them. By the way, Topaz, I LOVE your Avatar!