Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you ever consider holiday house swapping...

would you ever consider holiday house swapping...

I just wondered how many of you would consider ever doing a house swap with someone either in your country, or another country, I have been watching a programme on the TV, which does just that, very interesting.

Personally although the idea is great and also means your holiday is much more affordable, no accomodation cost and you get to meet the locals etc, I am too private a person , so I would probably never do it, how about you, would you? gosh for those of you who would, you could even start one here on PT.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm too private of a person as well, but I do think its a cool idea. I also wouldn't trust my animals with people in my home. I'd be afraid the people would leave a door open and let a cat outside or something.

It'd be cool to have a PT one though!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I am too private of a person, myself. I wouldn't do it. But like Aly said it'd be cool for one on PT
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I would never do it but it sounds like a neat idea!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I would definitely do it, if I didn't have pets. A family in my neighborhood did swap with a family from Tokyo. I think they swapped for 2 weeks. They both said they would do it again.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I'd do it, what a neat idea!

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

I am a private person, but not with things I own. Just my thoughts and who I am, and things like that. So yes, I'd defintely do it! Sounds neat.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I too think it is a cool, idea, part of me would love to do it, but the other part wouldn't because I value my privacy too much, but yes maybe a PT one might evolve from this thread, now wouldn't that be awesome.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

OMG -

I'm not that private a person, but I would have to spend a year just CLEANING!

Well, maybe not.... but lets put it this way - my house is 45 yrs old and has, what realtors kindly call 'defferred maintenance' issues. I have done all the 'important' work, like new roofing, plumbing, electrical, new furnace and A/C over the past 6 yrs or so - but ... it's no 'vacation spot'.

the carpet was shot when i bought the house in 1994, I ripped it ALL out exposing 'cheap' hardwood floors - that are great for dogs & kids wear, but anyone else would want re-finished ( I'm not sure they're worth the trouble) or carpeted. The carpet in my 'computer room' is the only original left, and it's matted, smelly, and flat (this was where the previous owner kept their elderly dog and cat - But I have so much equipment on top, I can't take the carpet out without moving EVERYTHING out of the room!) There's alot of 'cosmetic' stuff that still needs to be done, panelling removed, walls fixed, curtains, etc and I just can't afford it all.

The one thing that WOULD make my home appealing to a vacationer, is that i would allow someone ELSE to bring their pets along. As my house is pretty 'pet-proof' , I'm not really worried about pet damage. Which is why I often volunteer to pet-sit for friends - as long as their pets get along with mine. However, I'd be willing to bet those that 'exchanged' houses on the show, did NOT have pets that stayed with the house.... I sure would NOT leave my precious babies with a stranger!

I did grow up with a neighbor once that was on such a program - but for a couple YEARS - not just for vacation -

Our neighbor was a teacher, and went to teach in South Africa for two years. They had two boys and a girl, when they left (the yoounger boy and I shared birthdates) - their youngest daughter was born in South Africa. They packed up all their 'personal' belongings (clothes, china, books, mementoes, knick knacks, pictures, toys) Some they took with them, other stuff was put in storage. They left only basic things like appliances and furniture. They signed up with a home exchange program that provided a house for them in South Africa.

A family from Sweden moved in, they had a daughter my age, who became a good friend. Her Dad was brought over to the US to train people for his company. They had put their home in Sweden into the same 'exchange' program. After our original neighbors came back to their house, the swedish family rented an apt and then bought a home in our neighborhood - they had decided to stay and became US citizens.

Both families ended up as friends!

Cool idea, but I don't know if I could do that, either!

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

Actually they did include pets, there was one swap that had three dogs, and another with a cat and two ferrets, it turned out well though, they were very well taken care of, but yes I would not trust a stranger either unless they were from PT, see this could work rather well if people who wanted to do it, swapped houses on PT, looked after each other's pets and had a relatively cheap holiday., I am not game, but there are other's who seem to quite like the idea.
    Furangels only lent.

I don't think I would trust a stranger with my house/belongings, and I value my privacy......so nope...I wouldn't do it.

I would do it ONLY with people I know and trust. So, PT-ers are welcome !!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I wouldn't mind to do it but not with my furkids staying here...no way, if I go...so do they!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I think I would. Of course I would make sure that the others have furkids as well. So I would have them as a hostage

There is a website- if you read it you get the impression it would be a great idea.

http://www.homeexchange.com/

Hey Carole I always wanted to go to NZ

NO WAY!

I have a hard time letting my own parents in my room. I have nothing to hide.. it's just some place I like to keep to myself.

That and there's no way I could trust ANYONE else with my dogs. PT'er or not... an hour or so, fine. But not for long.

I tried thinking about WHO I could leave my dogs with... I just have this thing that no one could care for them like I do. I mean, I know their quirks, what they like, thier favorite spots to be pet, their favorite words.. everything about them. There's no way someone could know how to care for them specifically like I do. It's just a weird thing of mine.

I barely wanted to leave Simba and Nala with my parents!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits