Thread: Serious help quick

Unhappy Serious help quick

Right, i have 2 dogs both males ive had them both since they were puppys and they are looked after well

Max is 5 years old, lab retriever
    Jerry is 2 years old, springer spaniel

about a year ago Max was out on a walk with me and he was attacked by another dog, now whenever i take him out he runs around the field normally having fun.

Heres the problem. as soon as he sees another dog now he will run over to it, check it out, and if it is a male he will growl at it and attack it if i dont get there in time.

Here is the even bigger problem.Jerry has seen Max do this and started to do the same but Jerry doesent just attack male dogs he will attack females, males, and puppys (ive never know of a adult dog doing this before in my life)

Now i know i probably cant make them stop doing this without them fighting quite a few times but im trying to train them to stop instantly in their tracks when they are running over to the dogs, so they will sit and i can put their leashes on

anyone have any tips on how i may be able to do this? or if there is something else i could do about it?

i have one idea, keep their leashes on them if y'all are out

Thanks 4 the amazing blinkie and siggy,Joanofark!
    Thank u flamepony12 4 the cool avatar!

Sassy is my 1 year old golden retriever.

Shopping is an attitude... and I have an attitude problem.

to avoid a tragedy in the future,,, and until they are fully trained,, DO NOT let them off leash!!

OMG .. I'm shocked that you still allow your dogs to run around off-leash when they ATTACK other dogs!? You need to keep them on leash at all times, except in your own private fenced backyard or a secure fenced area... you could definitely end up getting sued, having your dogs impounded, and possibly worse. What if your dogs decided to run up to a small, unaltered male, and attacked him?? If that dog were to die or sustain serious injuries, in my city atleast, YOUR dogs would be euthanized. Please think about that, and think about how rude you're being to other owners, before you run with your dogs roaming..... ON TOP of having un-trained dogs offleash being a HUGE danger to them. Again, what if your dogs spotted a dog across the street and ran at them and a car happened to be driving by? Your dogs would be very injured or dead. I've seen this happen before, it happens every day... don't you want to protect your pups from that? It's absolutely irresponsible to let them off-leash, ESPECIALLY since it doesn't sound like they've recieved any formal Obedience training.

Next... are your dogs neutered? Seriously consider neutering them. It improves the health and longevity of your dog to alter them, it drastically decreases their urge to roam and attack other dogs, and it will improve their focus and attention on YOU. Especially if they're exhibiting aggressive behavior toward other males, they are obviously hormonal and territorial and neutering them would most likely calm that behavior. You also NEED to get them both into good Obedience classes ASAP!! Obedience classes will teach you how to train your dogs. In case of an emergency (leash drop or whatever) ALL dogs should know a solid "Leave It", "Stay", and "Come"... Obedience classes will totally help this.

Good luck, and PLEASE LEASH YOUR DOGS! at all times. I know that if I was walking my dog, and your dogs ran over and attacked me and Gonzo, I would NOT let it slide. Seriously, you will end up paying a LOT of vet bills if you continue to allow your dogs to have free reign on everyone and everything on their walks.. they should be intune to you and listening to you. They obviously have trained YOU well right now, THEY are in charge, which is VERY dangerous for both of you.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I agree with what everyone else has suggested, Keep them on leads AT ALL TIMES.

As far as working on their recall you should enroll them into a reputable obedience class (which should also help a little with other comands, socialization, bonding etc...)

NEVER have your dog off a leash, ESPECIALLY aggressive dogs until their recall is 100% successful.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.