Thread: Those darn tags........

Those darn tags........

As you can see from my sig picture Magic has a full white beard. She stays relatively clean with the exception of the area around her collar where the rabies and dog license tags are. It is a requirement (subject to fine) that dogs wear their tags where I live. It makes such a gray dirty mess around that part of her beard it makes me think people believe I don't take care of her properly. I scrub and scrub that area with a crown royal shampoo for dogs, but the aluminum metal stains stay on the hair and even with a vigirous shampoo she still shows the gray dirty hair. Is there anything I can use on her that won't bother her skin but will take this nasty mess away?

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

I have no idea what to do about the cleaning of the hair, but do you all not have dog tag covers? I believe I've seen them in various places. It's like a plastic cover for ID tags. Sounds like it would help you tremendously... once you get the colour off.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

I know Amy (wolf_Q) had this problem with her Husky, Nebo and tags staining his pretty fur.

She got some sort of tag covers and says that've stayed on and no stains!

Thanks guys I didn't know there was such a critter out there, I'm goin shoppin for some tag covers!

THANKS

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

There are leather tagbags available online. They guard the hairs and ensure you don't hear the tags jingle.

http://longdogleather.com/index.cfm?content=54&Menu=28

I'm glad i checked this post - i was brushing Sherman out and thought what a shame that his tags turn his fur gray - he looks dirty around the neck. Think I'll check out some tag covers too!

Try mixing a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of shampoo and apply the mixture to the stains. Let it si for 10 minutes, then bathe as usual.

No guarantees, but it should help.

I buy a whitening shampoo for Deogee ... I'm not sure how well it would be for pups with sensitive skin but it works wonders for those nasty gray spots. I put it on his white parts and let it sit while I wash the rest of him with his normal shampoo . Little effort and great results !!

President and Co-Founder of Dirty Paws All Breed Rescue

www.dirtypaws.petfinder.com

Wow Honey_28 - I don't think I ever saw a picture of Deogee before- what a HANDSOME guy!!! Do you know what breed/mix he is?

He's a 2 year old Husky/Samoyed Mix .
    President and Co-Founder of Dirty Paws All Breed Rescue

www.dirtypaws.petfinder.com

I've had the same problem with my siberian husky. I've washed and washed with every kind of shampoo and I've never been able to get the stains completely gone. I bought a "quiet spot" tag holder and it has definitely helped with the stains.

The other thing you might try - is to coat the tags with clear nail polish before putting them on your dog's collar- it will seal the aluminum from reacting with the moisture/fur.

I also find that the brass and color-coated aluminum tags don't make as much 'gray', as the color coats the metal. Our county rabies tags ( required to be worn) are blue, so they're not so bad.

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

I am so glad you brought up this subject. My Tucker's is actually allergic to either the metal or the coloring on his tags. He gets a sore spot and loses the fur where the tags lay on his chest. I am going to try out the clear nail polish until I can get some tag covers. The thing I was thinking of was possibly getting the tags laminated?

I swear my dogs use the jingling of the tags to wake me up. Tucker is an early riser and he will shake to jingle those tags until I get up and let him out. Then no more shake/jingling
    Last edited by Rachel; 06-12-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I have the same problem. The whitening shampoo helps some, but hardly ever totally gets rid of the stains.
    I thought about the tag covers, but I like to hear the tags jingle when we are outside or on hikes, so I know where the dogs are.
    So I learned to live with it. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.