Thread: cage help!

cage help!

Hi everyone! I am getting two rats and was wondering what kind of cage should I get? I have looked everywhere and I am not sure what kind or how big the cage should be.....
    THANKS!

p.s. sorry for posting this agian, but someone told me to post it in here and I will probally get more replys.

Go to Martins cages online and order one. They have the best cages. Make sure you get the wire coated and that there is enough room for 2 rats. Online somewhere is a cage calculator where you put in the dimensions and it tells you how many rats can fit in the cage. I forget the website for it. Also on this site:
    http://www.goosemoose.com/index.php?..._smf&Itemid=61
    people sell used cages and most are usually Martins. Good Luck!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I also second getting a Martins cage. And since you'll have baby rats, make sure you stay within the Rat category. People sometimes buy Ferret cages, but the spacing is much too large for babies.

About size, use the dimensions in inches. Multiply the dimensions - L * W * H = productofdimensions. Then divide that number from 3456. If it's OVER 2, than you should be fine. I don't always agree with the cage calculator. I had 6 males in a R-695, and no one ever disagreed with it, even Breeders. I had them out for hours everyday, they got plenty of exercise. The only thing they did in the cage was eat, sleep, and poop.

So make sure it's big enough. And I know Martins are a bit pricey, but it's a GOOD cage. I had mine for over 2 years, and when my last rattie boy died, I gave the cage to a friend. We might end up donating it to Kim's Ark - I don't know. But they last, as long as you get Powder Coated. Having that makes them last, so the urine doesn't seep into the metal cage bars.

If you're not pressed for money as much as some people, get the biggest thing you can afford. You never know when you'll have more rats. And fill the cage up with toys - igloos, blankies, hammocks, tubes, treat dispensers, food dishes, water bottles, etc. And give them playtime every day - at least an hour, if not more.

What kind of rats will you be getting - male or female? Are they from a breeder, a rescue, or a petstore? I had 4 from a breeder, and 2 from a petstore. Before that, one was from a petstore and the other was the son. The first one that died was from a breeder, and the last one to die was from a breeder. However, the oldest one was from a petstore. Petstore rats are just as cute as those from a breeder, and just as friendly. So if you're buying from a petstore, make sure the petstore is CLEAN and keeps the rats in good conditions.

I know you didn't ask for any of what I'm saying, but oh well. Congrats on getting new babies!
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}