Thread: When and how much do you feed your kitties?

When and how much do you feed your kitties?

I was just curious as the Nawtees get a 1/4 cup in the morning and at night. Shadow and Callie are on diets and Whisper doesn't eat much anyway.

Feeding, however, really depends upon Callie. She is great on the weekdays to wait until the alarm goes off to start meowing outside the bedroom door--7:15 AM.

At night, they get fed whenever I get home--between 4:30-6:30 PM.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Since I always fed Tristan, and now Fizzy - my goldens, twice a day, it easiest to feed Pixel kitty at the same time -

When I get up in the morning, and at 'people' dinnertime. (anywhere between 4 and 7 pm)

Pixel gets dry kitty kibble, with a spoonful of wet, canned food on top. Often he doesn't eat all the dry kibble, and comes back later in the afternoon or middle of the night to finish it up.

Pixel's bowl is up on a counter, so that Fizzy can't get into it (catfood smells SOOO GOOD to the doggies!)

As I'm a first time cat owner, though - I have a question about water.

I've always had BIG bowls of water for my golden retreivers. Since I have a doggie door, I would encourage them to drink all they want. however, if I put out a water bowl for Pixel, (near his food dish or other places) he won't touch it! Fizzy(golden) and Pixel (orange kitty) both use the dog door to go outside - Pixel is an at-will, mostly indoor, sometimes outside, cat.

He does get up on the kitchen and bathroom counters, and will 'ask' for a drink from the faucet, (he prefers running water when he can get someone to turn the tap for him) and I have seen him drink from Fizzy's large Ceramic water dish, a puddle on the patio, or the bucket of clean water I keep for her outside under the tap - even her kiddie pool!

I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough water, but he is obviously healthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting him to drink from a dish - for him? or does it really matter?

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

6:30 am and 6:30 to 7:30 pm.......1/4 cup each at each feeding.

I free feed the cats. Their food is in a room the dogs can't get into to. There's always dry food in the bowl. They also get a couple tablespoons of canned food every morning.

I tried going to scheduled feedings when Pete first needed prescription food. I had a kitty revolt on my hands. It was not pretty. To save my house from smelling like cat urine forever, I talked to my vet and he said they could all eat the CD food.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I have 5 bowls, one for each cat. I put 1/4 cup in the morning (usually around 5 a.m. when Eli, the designated pain in the ass starts to whine) in each bowl. At night, I split a can of food between the 5 and add another 1/4 to each bowl.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

1/4 cup 3x a day for 3 bowls
    Eleanor or Skinny starts the whining for food between 4-5 a.m. During the school yr hubby is up at 4:15 a.m. so thus earlier feeding. Summer and vacations around 5 a.m.
    2nd feeding is 4-5 p.m. (human dinner hour)
    3rd feeding anywhere between 9-11 p.m. Depends on when Eleanor starts whining at me while sitting at the computer. She is doing it now to me and it's 9:15 p.m.

Eleanor and Thumper have to have a "treat" of a few kibbles around 10-11 a.m.

Their treats are they regular food. None of the "treats" in the pouch or can that are specifically called a "treat".

On a side note... Nurto is large kibble so it probably isnt a true 1/4 cup like smaller kibble.

Eleanor is the eater of the family. She eats 3x a day and more if you let her.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

THE FOUND CATS,HAVE IX FEEDING STATIONS.TWO ARE NUTRO COMPLETE CARE INDOOR SENIOR,ONE,IS EUKANUBA MATURE,TWO ARE WALTHAM WEIGHT CONTROL,AND THE OTHER,IS SCIENCE DIET SENIOR.SOMETIMES,THEY VARY,AS TO WHAT I HAVE,ON HAND,BUT THAT IS GENERALLY THE SITUATION.AND THE STARRYS GET WHISKAS DRY,AND CANNED,AND SAMPLE BAGS,OF PET VALU,WHICH,IS VERY GOOD.THE FOUND CATS,GET THAT,ONCE,IN A WHILE,AS WELL.

Last edited by catmandu; 06-10-2005 at 08:30 PM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Mine has his food put out at 5:00AM and he nibbles on it as it suits him at any time. He's another one who drinks from everywhere else except his water dish but it doesn't matter, he's very healthy for a 12 year old.

I free-feed Royal Canin's Special...but at night I split a can of Innova between Noah, Micah, Phoebe and Jonah (Basie doesn't like wet food). Usually thats before I go to bed or right when I get home.

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I used to free feed but Sky was such a pig. Now I feed them 4 small feedings 2 times a day. I usually feed them at 7am and then again at 7pm or whenever I get home. After they get their first feeding I wait about 1 hour and then feed them another small feeding. I do this because Sunny will gobble his food down so fast that he'll then throw it up.

Storm is on Royal Canin S/O and I mix both wet and dry together. I just started feeding Sunny and Sky Innova wet and dry food. They get Innova Lite wet food and I mix it with the Innova Adult dry food. They don't seem to eat very much and I was concerned that they weren't getting enough food. Now I've also been mixing Storm's Royal Canin S/O dry with the Innova Lite dry and leaving it out so they can free feed during the day and at night. I mix 1/4 cup of each so there's 1/2 cup out. They usually don't finish it. I thought that Sky would inhale the whole thing but he's been pretty good about not hogging it all.

I free feed as well. There is always dry food available. They get purina one and max cat mixed as a staple. Between 5:00-6:00 am Vixen starts atalkin and that means it's time for wet. They WILL NOT eat pate of any kind. There are very feed chucks or flakes they will eat either. But they demand it. So it's a teaspoon each(I know that doesn't sound like much but they get that 4-6 times a day) of fancy feast grilled chicken feast, grilled tuna feast, flaked turkey and giblets also fancy feast or iams select bites salmon, chicken or beef. They usually eat about 3x85g cans a day in total with their dry and if I would have to estimate they eat about 1 cup of dry a day between the 2 of them.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica