Thread: Is lime bad for animals?

Is lime bad for animals?

My park is redoing the whole sewer system, therefore they are sprinkling lime powder stuff all over the ground.
    Can this be poisonous to dogs & cats?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I'm no expert, but I don't think lime is poisonous to dogs and cats. It comes from crushed limestone which is in the enviornment already. I use it on my lawn and where Magic potties outside and she has never had an adverse affect to it.

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

Originally posted by Summer Magic
    I'm no expert, but I don't think lime is poisonous to dogs and cats. It comes from crushed limestone which is in the enviornment already. I use it on my lawn and where Magic potties outside and she has never had an adverse affect to it.
    I was thinking of that too, but since this is is used for sewage spills, etc.. I'm wondering if there is some other chemicals added or what.
    I asked the construction guys & they have no idea whats in it or if its bad for people & pets.
    They did say that the people spreading it should wear ventilation masks, gloves etc... & are supposed to strip all their clothes & shoes after handling it. BUT they were not doing any of that, they were spreading it with cups with their bare hands, not wearing any masks or anything.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh a friend told me that often Lime is sprinkled over a dead body(not human unless mafia) to hasten decomposition.

This is really worrying me.

The sewage system is so bad that there is talk that our trailer park will be shut down & we will all be forced to move. I scumlord has been lying about it being fixed for 3 years.

I would think anything to do with dead bodies and sewage would be, more or less, poisonous!

The reason they wear masks is because any intense and immense amount of dust and grim taken in through your nose and into your lungs can cause many problems. Something as hard and materialistic as lime, can most likely be sure to cause problems if your animals lives and breathes it everyday for a long time, maybe just try and keep your dog away from it, don't let him sniff it too heavily, and I know that my mom's ex-fiance used to use it to help decompose the waste from his dogs (all 7, lol) But i know it made them sneeze alot and I woulnd't do the same......just commmenting,
    thanks
    Cassie and Lilly
    I'm sure you shouldn't have any problems, cute typo, what's funniest is it actually tied into the subject, lol
    Luv dem Mutts!
    Life, Love and Animals!
    Website!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cassieknipp1987
    [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid170/p55ee44e13669922dd2a003559e15c6e4/f3fe6076.jpg[IMG]

Lime is safe

As being the owner of a small farm lime is safe to use. I use it in my stalls after cleaning to nuetralize the urine smells and keep it fresh. It also work well with keeping flea population down. I am also using it in my dog kennels. We have several large outside dogs and we use it to nuitralize the waste and keep the kennels fresh. It does need to settle a bit before letting your pets on it so what I do is sprinkle it in the kennels and spray with a fine mist so that when I put my dogs back in there is no more dust. If you inhale alot of it at one time if could cause problems but I am no expert on it. I just take that extra little step just for safety purposes. I hardly ever have a problem with fleas though so it must be doing its job.

Lime is used to balance the ph of soils on farms, gardens and lawns. It is also used to aid decomposition of dead animals on farms and road ways. And, it was used in earlier times to help disinfect dairy barns and as a paint called whitewash. That may be more information than you wanted to know. It will not harm your dog, but you probably should not let your dog on the treated ground until the dust has a chance to settle. It is the dust that causes problems with animals and people.

Lime isn't a problem unless you use too much of it. It is caustic, and can cause burns if there's direct contact with a damp powder.

Lime can also be an issue if you put it in de coconut and mix it all up...
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.