Thread: Would You Save a Cat to Keep Outside?

Hybrid View

Would You Save a Cat to Keep Outside?

The local animal control (kill shelter) has a male already neutered cat on their website. For $8 I can get him. Hubby won't let me have anymore cats and right now I can't handle anymore inside cats - we are gone every weekend as it is and they are left alone. BUT with kitten season on I know this cat will probably be killed as they just don't keep them more than a week - no room. So should I email the girl there (same place I got Meka my girl cat) and tell her that if he doesn't find a home to call me before she kills him and I'll take him? He'd have to be an outdoor kitty right now. Who knows later.... Or just let it go? I can't save them all but the biggest cost is the spay neuter. Also would my cats start spraying the house if they saw him outside - that is a concern... Hubby loves our cats now but he still would give them up if he had to take care of them - I do everything and he plays with them and helps me feed them in the morning but evening is all mine and so is the litter box. Any ideas??? Debbie

Can you take him as a foster? I don't know if you have a little extra bathroom or somewhere that he can stay. It might be kind of dangerous to adopt him and put him directly outside. He won't know he lives there yet and may just walk away for good I know your husband and your other cats might not like the fact that you'd be fostering, but at least it would save his life and you wouldn't have to worry about him living outside. You might want to try some Feliway if you did bring him into the house (it is expensive, but might stop your kitties from spraying).

Good luck. I totally sympathize with your situation. I always want to save them all too, but I'm just not capable of taking every single one in
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

If last thing is he is being PTS then yes get him if you want him, BUT you will have to keep him in a cage for 2 to 3 weeks until he gets used to his OUTSIDE area, and then there is still a chance he might leave, but not likely since you will be his food source everyday......better than DEATH

The shelter won't foster I dont' think since it is a kill shelter and really they don't care at all. The one lady there is a volunteer and she tries so hard to get them into rescue groups when she can but so many are full and with kitten season on I don't think the older ones have a chance. There is a simaese - looks pure- girl kitty that just had kittens. SHe will be one of the first to kill since she is no longer needed for the kittens and she is not fixed. I'd love to have a siamese! But that would be another $100 by the time she is fixed and got shots and again I can't get another one BUT it really isn't fair to the cats either since i am not home anymore to take care of them. We try so hard to leave Firday night after we take care of them and come home Saturday night so we are only gone one day but many times we leave Friday night and come home Sunday afternoon. Last Saturday night we got home around 10pm and Meka had sooooo missed us... I feel so bad to leave them so much but it stresses them out to travel too... Debbie

I probably would, but it depends a lot on the surroundings you have. Is it safe out there? As you may know, I have a cat living in our back yard, he's been there since before 94. He has a house and is being fed every day. And who knows, after a while, your husband may change his mind. However, if you do get this cat, you'll have to keep him indoors for at least two weeks.

If your other cats are neutered, I don't think the risk of spraying is very big.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yes I'd have to say I would get him, but I live in the country and feel it's a little safer. Do you live around a busy streets or a neighbor hood that's is not too safe for a cat to run free? If you do, it would be harder for me to say yes. Death at the shelter or death by car or something else..... maybe? Hmmm, thats a hard choice to make, at least for me.

If you can cage him, big enough that he's not too unhappy and can spend time with him, to make him feel safe and loved, then yeah, get him. Just don't set him free, right away in hopes that he will stay around......he wont.

Hopefull after sometime, husband will fall in love and then you have a keeper.

I would, but I would also keep him inside for a few weeks until he gets used to the fact that you are his food source & so he learns the surroundings.

I'm not sure about your cats starting to spray if they see him outside. Have they ever seen any cats outdoors? What do they do? I guess it would be a 50/50 chance. Less than that if your cats are easy going & usually adapt to newcombers easily.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Do you have a enclosed porch? A garage that doesn't get too hot? A large shed with windows? Any of those places would work for keeping him for a few weeks until he is familiar enough with you and your house to know that's his home too.

I wouldn't do it if I lived in an area that has a lot of traffic. I think it would be much worse to be hit by a car and die a painful death than to be peacefully PTS. It stinks, but sometimes being PTS is the better option. I too wish that I could save them all.

Another thing you can do is call any vet offices in your area and ask if they know anyone who fosters cats. Also call any pet stores, groomers, or boarding facilities to see if they know of anyone who fosters. It never hurts to ask. I've had a lot of good luck with doing just that.

Good Luck!

Edit: I just wanted to add that your husband sounds a lot like mine. He always says no more, but one comes around and needs us and he falls in love. Men are so easy. Talk him in to letting the cat "stay inside for a few weeks until he gets used to you and knows this is his home. Then he can safely become an outside cat." If you can get hubby to agree to that and if he's anything like my husband HE will be trying to convince YOU to let the cat stay inside. You just have to let him think it's his idea. (Wow that really makes me sound evil, but I'm really not, I promise.)
    Last edited by BitsyNaceyDog; 06-09-2005 at 01:50 PM.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

THAT ,IS A TOUGH DECISION,AS YOU WOULD FEEL BADLY,IF THEY PUT THAT CAT,TO SLEEP.I HAVE TWO TOMS,THAT COME,ON MY PORCH,AND SPRAY,AND I THINK,THAT IS WHY SAM SPRAYS,AND I HAVE,TO KEEP CLEANING UP,AFTER HIM.IS THERE A SHED,WHERE HE CAN STAY,OR A GARAGE.THAT IS A TOUGH DECISION,BUT FOR 8 DOLLARS,I WOULD TAKE A CHANCE,THAT YOU CAN MAKE HIM AN OUTDOOR CAT.OUR PRAYERS,ARE WITH YOU,AND PLEASE KEEP,US INFORMED.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My pixel is an 'outdoor' kitty - but his situation is a little different.

he WAS living outside and in our neighborhood for some time, and probably stealing dog food and living in my garage for much of the winter before we discovered him very late coming home from christmas eve services.

At first I had no intention of adopting a cat - I'm a 'dog person' and allergic to most cats to boot!

but I'm also softhearted, and couldn't see this young cat go hungry and thirsty - so I left him scraps and water. when he finally came inside one very cold night - I figured he would go back outside once the cold snap ended - but he taught HIMSELF how to use the dog's plexidoor, and kept returning to the house.

after he stuck around, mostly in the house - we had him fixed, chipped and vetted in March - and now that it's summer and warm, he DOES go outside alot more - I don't even keep a litter box (never have) but he stays pretty much within sight of my house, or in the house. since he controls his own comings and goings, he's become very 'domestic' since adopting us at christmas! With the humid 85 - 90 temps weve had lately, he even hangs out in the basement with the boys anytime someone is down there. (we leave the basement door propped open at all times, so he doesn't get trapped there)

I think if you brought this cat home, you would have to give him enough time to 'bond' to you, know you as his security and provider, and then he will return to you if you let him out, later. but I would also, before you let him 'out' take him for some walks, on a leash, first, so he can get his 'bearings' and know how to find his way around your yard and find home.

On the other hand - you could foster him yourself, while looking for an indoor home for him.

good luck!

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

Debbie,

If it comes to living outside vs being killed, I'd go for living outside (possibly being sheltered in a garage or something in the winter).

As far as the Siamese mama is concerned, here's a link to a Meezer Rescue in your area. Contact them IMMEDIATELY and tell them the meezer is there and is in danger of being killed. They'll pull her out before she's killed.

http://tx.siameserescue.org/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!