Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fighting Depression

Robin

I haven't been on PT long, but long enough to recognise that you are a wonderful person, and have lots of caring friends here. that doesn't sound like a 'loser' to me. Kids can be hurtful - esp teens - which I'm guessing your son is.

I also suffer from depression and attention deficit disorder. As a single ADD /depressed mom raising an ADHD teen, our home is terribly disorganised, scattered and messy. Man, talk about a messy house!?!?! I always tell the (very few) friends I let in my house, that I keep it that messy to make my friends feel better about THEIR housekeeping skills! I have piles on piles of paper on my tables and desks! Honestly - it's scary! I once kept a 'pet' spider in the corner of the livingroom for half a summer - I told my mom it was 'educational' for my son, Jon, to watch it catch and eat the mosquitoes that got in! LOL! My kitchen floor has needed washing for a long, long time, and there's so many dog hair-balls rolling around on my wood floors, sometimes I think Fizzy had puppies!

Seriously, I try and I'm on medication, but it's really tough. I also have a weight problem, and like you, the depression just makes me want to stay home and sleep. it's an 'escape'. When I sleep, the bills, mess, stress and problems all dissappear for at least that litttle while. Whatever your job situation, however, I would stay with it if you can - I've been unemployed (or under employed) for a couple years now. I've been substitute teaching - but with school out for the summer, even that's gone and I'm back to unemployment. The thought of working a 'real' full time job scares the heck out of me!

If you ever want to talk - fell free to e-mail me,
    [email protected]

I hope you feel better, and this Dr. helps some -

hugs,

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

Hello everyone. I'm sorry it has taken me awhile to check back in. I have been completely overwhelmed by all the responses and at first I felt a bit embarrassed that I actually put this out there and I wasn't sure if I would even get any responses or if I even wanted any. I don't know if that makes any sense. All I know is that you have all touched my heart and I can never thank you enough. Thank you for all your kindness, your support, your pm's, your phone numbers and email addresses. It means everything to me.

I am still having a hard time but I am trying to solve this problem. I realize that it may take some time. I will get there though. Brandon is not the reason for my depression but he doesn't help the situation any. I tried to talk to him this evening, but I don't seem to get anywhere with him. He says he is sorry for talking to me like that and that he feels bad then he always adds the word BUT and tries to make it sound like its my fault that he talks to me that way. I can't get through to him. I tell him there are no "buts" that he shouldn't be talking to anyone like that. Of course instead of listening to me he wants to fight and I refuse to get into a screaming match with him. He is not a teenager he is 21 and definitely should know better. His girlfriend does not live here. She is here most of the time but she works and has school so she is usually heading home about 10 or so. I just don't know what to do about that boy of mine. I want him out of the house because I can't stand living with someone who seems to hate me so much and just takes advantage of me. Then that makes me feel terrible because I know he has no place to go right now and no money. He is trying to finish up school and be an IT Tech. Anyway the whole thing makes me feel like I was and am a lousy parent. OK, thats enough about him.

Once again, thank you all for being here for me! You are truly wonderful people.

Robin

I am glad you checked back in Robin....
    I owe you an apology....
    Making you think that I blamed your son for your depression. And for thinking that his girlfriend lived there. I am sorry that I was wrong in thinking that that added to your stress.
    There is no way you or anyone especially your son is to blame for this.
    The only blame that should fall is on the disease itself for being such an evil thing.
    It isn't your fault that your son talks to you that way. There is no if and or BUT in it.. and he shouldn't be adding that.
    You are a beautiful person and still one of my favortist PT'ers......

and in my thoughts and prayers...

Love
    Staci and her "K's"
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Staci...you owe me no apology whatsoever!!! Don't even think that. I am the one who brought up my son. I sometimes blame the depression on him myself, but I realize that it just isn't true. Trust me though, those two have caused me lots of stress....lol. Brandon and his girlfriend have been together for 5 years and when they were in high school they were constantly here. Sometimes Alden and I felt like it was more their house than ours. They have the oddest personalities and we actually nicknamed them "Doom and Gloom"...lol. Not very nice of us but just ask anyone in the family about them They do seem to have blossomed a little bit and aren't so dreary to be around anymore...lol

Thanks for listening to me, Staci. It means alot to me.

Hugs for you and those gorgeous K's

Hey girl. You have my number. Call me if you want or I can call you if you'd like. And you're right, love does not include "but". Don't forget to go shopping tomorrow

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by RobiLee
    Staci...you owe me no apology whatsoever!!! Don't even think that. I am the one who brought up my son. I sometimes blame the depression on him myself, but I realize that it just isn't true. Trust me though, those two have caused me lots of stress....lol. Brandon and his girlfriend have been together for 5 years and when they were in high school they were constantly here. Sometimes Alden and I felt like it was more their house than ours. They have the oddest personalities and we actually nicknamed them "Doom and Gloom"...lol. Not very nice of us but just ask anyone in the family about them They do seem to have blossomed a little bit and aren't so dreary to be around anymore...lol

Thanks for listening to me, Staci. It means alot to me.

Hugs for you and those gorgeous K's
    Good I am glad Robin. I was afraid I had hurt your feelings....
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..