Thread: Rear End Alignment

Rear End Alignment

You know how you have to take your car in for front end work? Well Lamoni had a case of the runs. Watch your stomach now. He is a long hair cat. He is too big, with his bad back, to reach everything. Besides, would YOU want to... OK. Let's just say that he needed help. Neither Cindy or I was able to pin him down long enough to get the job done with scissors. And a "butt bath"? Been there, tried that.

Off to the white coats. Our good vet moved some time ago to go teach at a university. The vet a block from our house reccomends putting Lamoni down. Now what?

The PetsMart stores in our area have vets in the stores. The one closest to us closed their vets office. That means 12 miles with HIM in a cage in the back seat whinning all the way.

Well this turned out cool. Of course EVERYBODY who came into the same room with him just feel in love with the big boy. He could melt an iceburg. The nurse and vet both checked him over real good.

Very few vets in our area have ANY experience with the large breeds. He got his butt shaved. They also used the clippers to get out some of the mats on his back. he is a happy cat again.

I don't want to drive that far with him. I found a vet closer though. This vet has a separate front office for cats.
    We had a long conversation and she is willing to do some reading about his breed and she is experienced with older cats. I also told her about Fifi. The vet said that she has wanted to actually see a Doll Faced Persian in person having only seen the pictures.

So we all had a good END. (Ouch! That is sick, even for me.)
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    So glad this had a happey ENDing

Is Lamoni a Maine Coon?

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Glad that you have now found a vet closer to you and that Lamoni's problems have been taken care of. I am wondering if I misinterpreted something though, the vet recommended putting him "down" as in to sleep because he had a messy butt and a few matts. What kind of person would suggest something like that? Anyway, I am glad that it had a happy ending!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Re: Rear End Alignment

Originally posted by BigCharles
    Off to the white coats. Our good vet moved some time ago to go teach at a university. The vet a block from our house reccomends putting Lamoni down. Now what?
    I can't believe they wanted to put him down just because he had a poopy butt! Don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't go back to that vet again!

I'm so glad you finally got to the end of things though.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Hey Big Charles! I'm so glad Lamoni has a happy "end" to his story!!!! What in the world was that one vet thinking????

What kind of cat is Lamoni?

Sure is good to see you posting!

Logan

They wanted to have in PTS because of dingleberries!!? WTH??? I'm glad you have found a reasonable vet.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Lamoni is likely of Maine Coon heritage. The breed book has a 13 point checklist and he scores tops in 10. No papers and I know that momma was a street cat. All the good stuff came out in him.

Yes, that vet wanted to put him down for being "morbidly obease". I spent a few years in the insurance industry and know terms like "mobidity" and "moribund". This was because Lamoni could not clean himself. He thought that anything over 12 pounds was abnormal.

OK. I'm a software professional of 30 plus years. I do continuing education and I know that I don't know everything. That means that I can understand when another professional might have "gaps" in their knowledge. I'm surprised at the number of vets in our area that have no exposure to large breeds.

I am also dumbfounded that none of the vets that I have talked to have ever heard of COTD. NONE! This is such a good resource.

I've been lurking due to the fact that I'm busy as anything. I only get time to turn on my home computer about once a week (I'm a work poster).
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by BigCharles
    Lamoni is likely of Maine Coon heritage. The breed book has a 13 point checklist and he scores tops in 10. No papers and I know that momma was a street cat. All the good stuff came out in him.

Yes, that vet wanted to put him down for being "morbidly obese". I spent a few years in the insurance industry and know terms like "mobidity" and "moribund". This was because Lamoni could not clean himself. He thought that anything over 12 pounds was abnormal.
    That vet sounds like an idiot IMHO. Maine Coons can be VERY LARGE cats; my Mishi is skinny at 14 lbs., but that weight loss is mainly due to his kidney problems. We're trying to fatten him up to a healthy 16 lbs.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10