Thread: Time to ~JUMP FOR JOY~ Hartz Stopping Production of O.T.C Flea Products

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Time to ~JUMP FOR JOY~ Hartz Stopping Production of O.T.C Flea Products

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsh...tick-drops.htm
    I shudder to think of how many lives were lost, or how many cats and kittens needed emergency care after people used this stuff! It's about time they took it off the market.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hartz Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens to be Cancelled
    Quick Resources

Agreement with Hartz, including letter to customers (196 kb, 6 pgs., PDF)
    Alternatives for Preventing or Controlling Fleas and Ticks
    Protecting Pets
    Taking Care of Fleas and Ticks on Your Pet
    Counterfeit Pesticide Products for Dogs and Cats

At EPAā€™s insistence, Hartz Mountain Corp. has agreed to cancel uses of several flea and tick products that may be associated with a range of adverse reactions, including hair loss, salivation, tremors, and numerous deaths in cats and kittens. In the short term, the agreement calls for new labeling of the products. The new labeling will state that the products of concern are not to be used on the most vulnerable animals, including cats and kittens that weigh less than 6 pounds, cats older than 13 years, or kittens less than 5 months old.

Through this agreement, Hartz will voluntarily stop all new production of these products by September 30, 2005 and will not sell or distribute any affected product after December 31, 2005. The company has agreed to a prohibition on sales down to the retail level by March 31, 2006.

Background
    Product Information
    Consumers Should Follow all Label Precautions
    Reporting Adverse Effects
    Alternatives for Preventing or Controlling Fleas and Ticks
    Disposal of Unwanted Products
    Schedule of Actions under the Agreement
    Additional Information

Background
    In November 2002, due to safety concerns stemming from use of certain flea and tick control products for cats and kittens, and based on an agreement with the agency, Hartz Mountain Corporation recovered, repackaged and re-labeled the available stock at that time to include stronger precautionary statements and use directions. The company also agreed to conduct a consumer education program and provide additional reporting about incidents.

Since that time, EPA has continued receiving reports that these Hartz products have been adversely affecting cats and kittens. In response, EPA has been evaluating the available scientific information and closely monitoring the incident data, and has determined that additional action is needed to reduce potential risks to cats and kittens.

Top of Page

Product Information
    The products affected by this action include:

EPA Reg No 2596-148
    HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ 4 in 1Ā® Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
    HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens

EPA Reg. No. 2596-151 HartzĀ®
    Advanced Careā„¢ 3 in 1Ā® Flea & Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens HartzĀ®
    Advanced Careā„¢ Once-A-MonthĀ® Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens
    (note: this registration number also includes products for use on dogs, which will remain available)

Products with EPA Reg. No. 2596-148 contain 85.7% phenothrin, 2.9% methoprene. Products with EPA Reg. No. 2596-151 contain 85.7% phenothrin. Phenothrin is a synthetic pyrethroid that kills adult fleas and ticks. Methoprene is an insect growth regulator that interrupts the insect's life cycle by killing the eggs.

Phenothrin and Pyrethrum (24 kb, 5 pgs, PDF) - fact sheet on synthetic pyrethroids.

Top of Page

Consumers Should Follow All Label Precautions

When using any pesticide product, consumers should carefully read and follow label directions each time they use a product. For products that are being manufactured during the phaseout, the company has agreed to add restrictions to the currently registered productsā€™ labels to include that these products not be used on cats and kittens that weigh less than six pounds, on cats older than 13 years, or on kittens less than 5 months old. EPAā€™s review indicated that these changes may reduce risks to cats and kittens in the short term while the products or uses are being phased out. It is prudent to follow the new restrictions for all products, including products that consumers may have purchased before the new label restrictions.
    The label directions consumers should follow include the following:

Do not use on cats less than 5 months of age.
    Do not use on cats or kittens weighing 6 lbs or less.
    Do not use this product on debilitated, aged, medicated, pregnant or nursing animals or on animals known to be sensitive to pesticide products without first consulting a veterinarian.
    Do not use this product if your pet has an existing health condition or is over 13 years of age without first consulting a veterinarian.
    Signs of individual animal sensitivity which may occur after use of this product include skin irritation or hair loss at the application site, salivation, tremors (twitching of muscles), and in some circumstances, severe full body tremors. If this persists please contact your veterinarian and notify Hartz at 1-800-275-1414.
    Animals should be observed after application for any sign of sensitivity. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your pet with mild soap, rinse with large amounts of water, and consult a veterinarian immediately.
    Do not apply more than once every 30 days.
    Do not allow your cat to lick the product.
    Top of Page

Reporting Adverse Effects
    If your cat or kitten experiences symptoms that you think might be associated with application of a pesticide product, contact your veterinarian for treatment advice. In addition, you can report the incident by contacting the National Pesticide Information Center at 1-800-858-7378. NPIC can also offer advice and assistance with questions related to pesticide issues.
    Alternatives for Preventing or Controlling
    Fleas and Ticks
    Non-pesticide methods
    Use a flea comb
    Vacuum frequently and dispose of the bags
    Mow areas of the lawn where pets spend time
    Wash pet bedding weekly
    Wash pet with a pesticide-free pet shampoo
    Keep pets indoors
    Pesticide Products Registered for Flea and Tick Control
    There are numerous products registered by EPA for flea and tick control, including spot-ons, dusts, sprays, dips, shampoos and collars.
    Other products that are given orally or applied topically are regulated as drugs by FDA.
    Many available product alternatives do not use the active ingredient (phenothrin) associated with the adverse reactions. Others may use phenothrin, but at a much lower concentration.
    Veterinarians and other pet professionals can provide advice on flea and tick control products.

Top of Page

Disposal of Unwanted Products
    Consumers who have the affected products and do not wish to use them may contact Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 for information about returns and refunds.

Unused product should be disposed of according to label instructions, which state: "If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency or 1-800-CLEANUP for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain." Empty containers may be disposed of in the trash or offered for recycling if available.

Dispose of product containers where children and pets cannot reach them.

Top of Page

Schedule of Actions under the Agreement
    Risk Mitigation Labeling

June 27, 2005 - All products released for shipment by Hartz Mountain Corporation will bear a new label that includes new restrictions prohibiting use on cats that weigh less than 6 pounds, that are younger than 5 months, or older than 13 years.

August 1, 2005 - Hartz will not sell or distribute product bearing old labels.
    Voluntary Cancellation/Use Deletion
    June 2005 - Hartz Mountain Corporation submitted a request for voluntary cancellation of EPA Reg No. 2596-148:

HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ 4 in 1Ā® Flea & Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
    HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus+ for Cats and Kittens
    June 2005 - Hartz Mountain Corporation will submit a request for voluntary deletion of cat uses from product EPA Reg. No. 2596-151:

HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ 3 in 1Ā® Flea & Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens
    HartzĀ® Advanced Careā„¢ Once-A-MonthĀ® Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens

October 31, 2005 - The Agency intends to issue a cancellation order with this as well as approving the deletion of cat uses.
    Letter to Customers
    No later than June 17, 2005, Hartz Mountain Corporation will send an EPA-approved letter to customers who distribute or sell these registered products. The letter will advise customers of the provisions of the voluntary cancellation and deletion of cat uses.

The letter will help ensure that distributors and retailers do not order products that cannot be sold by December 31, 2005.
    Top of Page

Production to Stop
    September 30, 2005 - Hartz Mountain Corporation will cease production of products bearing EPA Reg. No. 2596-148.

September 30, 2005 - Hartz Mountain Corporation will cease production of products bearing EPA Reg. No. 2596-151 products with labels containing directions for use on cats. (Note: products for use on dogs will remain.)
    Product Shipment Ends
    October 31, 2005 - After this date Hartz Mountain Corporation will not release for shipment from its facilities products bearing EPA Reg. No. 2596-148 products.

October 31, 2005 - After this date Hartz Mountain Corporation will only release for shipment from its facilities products bearing EPA Reg. No. 2596-151 products that do not contain directions for use on cats.
    Existing Stocks
    December 31, 2005 ā€“ Should any cancellation order or amended registration be issued, as expected, products packaged, labeled and released for shipment prior to the effective date of the cancellation and amendment may not be sold or distributed by Hartz Mountain Corporation from its facilities after December 31, 2005.

March 31, 2006 ā€“ Should any cancellation order or amended registration be issued, as expected, all distribution or sale of existing stocks, including at the retail level, after this date will be prohibited unless for purposes of proper disposal or export.
    Additional Information
    Protecting Pets -- information about pesticide products, the dangers of counterfeit pet products, and more.

The National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) -- Telephone 1-800-858-7378, seven days a week excluding holidays, from
    6:30 am to 4:30 pm Pacific Time - or fax (514) 737-0761 - or by email at [email protected].

Hartz Web Site
    Letter from Hartz president and CEO to EPA (869 kb, 3 pgs., PDF)

Hartz letter to cat owners
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Jump for joy!!!!!

It's about time.... now on to other companies that hurt animals, not just our sweet pets!!!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

THAT,IS AT LEAST A START,ITS A SHAME,THAT HARTZ,CANNOT BEMADE,TO PAY,FOR THOSE LIVES.THERE IS PET BLOOD,ON THIER HANDS.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I shared this on another board. Hope you don't mind. I have never used Hartz flea meds, but I knew of a friend that did. She won't do it again, according to her response when I posted this at her site tonight.

Logan

This is wonderful news!!! I only used Hartz flea products one time and then I found out how bad it was and I threw the rest of it away. Thank god my cats didn't have any bad reactions from it.

Thank goodness. I've been waiting for this day for years & years!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Oh my goodness!

Thats unbelievable, I didn't realize there were products on the market as bad as that. How sad. All those poor kitties.

Glad to hear about this.I knew how bad it was and wondering when it would be off the market.Thank God!!

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

What a shame that they had to be hit over the head to finally STOP!!! All the illness and deaths weren't enough for a company to stop on their own?
    Thank goodness this finally happened!!!
    Thanks for sharing that Jan.

YAY! It is ABOUT time!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I had a website tucked away somewhere that showed all the animals that suffered, and or died due to these products. I'm not sure if this is the same site, but now it requires people to sign up to view a lot of it. http://www.hartzvictims.org/modules....tories_Archive
    I'm sure there's still plenty of the products on store shelves all across the country, and can only hope no more innocent lives are lost from this poison.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Jump for joy

Hey Jan! I did check out the website in your most recent post. It's letters from pet owners graphically describing the effect this stuff had on their pets. Got little more than half way through the first one then had to log out. How could they not have known there were serious problems with their product. My heart aches for all the loving, caring folks who tried to do the right thing for their pets only to experience tragedy and heartbreak because Hartz chose not to adequately warn them of possible comlications.....
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Finally!!! While it took long enough, at least its happening.

Good news!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

GREAT news! Thanks for posting this!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*