Thread: Strange Wheezing Cough?

Strange Wheezing Cough?

Duncan has been making this strange wheezing sound through his nose the past few days and I'm starting to worry...I have never seen him do it before in all the time I have had him.
    It's completely through his nose...he lies down and breaths heavy in and out of his nose for about 30 seconds. It reminds me of when a dog is going to throw up, how their whole body kind of convulses and they gag and then throw up.... well, he doesn't throw up and he is not gagging through his mouth though, just his nose....It's very hard to describe....

Anyway, I am more worried than I normally would be because 3 weeks ago he got his kennel cough vaccine on Wednesday night and then was in the kennel on Friday morning. When I picked him up, he seemed really hot to the touch and I thought maybe he wasn't feeling well then. But he has been fine until a few days ago. He has also been eating grass almost every time we leave the house on a walk or go to the park. But he hasn't vomited at all...maybe I'm just paranoid....if he does it again tonight, it's off to the vet. I think I will take him home to the vet in Syracuse and get a Saturday appt though. The vet there seems much more concerned with his well-being than the $$ amount of the visit, unlike the vet here in Jersey!

I'm sure it's nothing. Maybe the a/c bothers him? It's been in the 90s here so I have been leaving it on for him during the day. (How ironic is that!! I leave it on all day while I am at work and he is home alone and turn it off the second I walk in the door!!)
    Anyway, if this sound familiar to anyone, please let me know your experience. I appreciate it!!

Hi Jennifert9,
    I'd take Duncan to the vet as soon as you could. It doesn't sound like normal behavior. He is obviously having somekind of reaction to the shot.

Thanks for the response Beeniesmom! I appreciate it! You know how your imagination runs away with you sometimes...the more noone responds, the more I think it's rare and serious!!

He had the shot over 3 weeks ago so I can't imagine it's that?

I am more worried that the shot wasn't given far enough ahead of the time he was to go into the kennel and that he contracted kennel cough??
    I mean, he has been getting these shots for the 4 years I have had him, every six months. And the kennel requires this shot for all dogs boarded there so no dog should be there without protection.....
    Hmmm, kennel cough is very unlikely...Another thing that causes wheezing I know is heartworm but he takes the monthly pill and he just had a test done 3 weeks ago and that was negative too.

oh, then I have no idea what it can be....
    3 weeks from the shot huh...
    I hope he's better soon.

IT JUST OCCURRED TO ME...
    MAYBE HE HAS SOMETHING IN HIS NOSE, LIKE A BLADE OF GRASS OR SOMETHING.
    CARMEN

Your vet will be able to tell you, but it almost sounds like "reverse sneezing". My doxie Max does it. It looks pretty distressing.

If that's what it is, my vet told me to get next to him and gently stroke his throat and talk to him until he can get it under control. Max may have one a day for a while and then he won't have another for a long time. Doesn't seem to be any reason that I can find to cause them.

Let us know what you find out.

It does sound like a reverse sneeze. they aren't serious and don't really mean anything. They happen to lots of dogs for no apparent reason. Muskwa gets them sometimes. My vet told me to cover his nose for a couple seconds. When he takes his next breath, he has to gasp a bit and that stops the sneezes.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I looked up reverse sneezes on the internet and I think that might be it...
    This is one article I found:

Reverse sneezing is a sudden, rapid and extreme forceful inhalation of air through the nose causing the dog to make repeated snorting noises, which may sound like he/she is choking. It sounds like the dog is trying to inhale a sneeze, and it is therefore known as reverse sneezing.

Reverse sneezing is often caused by irritation of the the palate/laryngeal area. It causes a spasm in the muscles of the pharynx. Reverse sneezing is characterized by honking, hacking or snorting sounds (gasping inwards). It primarily occurs when the dog is excited, but it can also happen after drinking, eating, running, or pulling on the leash. A typical episode lasts only a few seconds, but some dogs may experience this for a few minutes and usually several times a day.

Most of the time you can stop the spasm by gently massaging the throat of your dog, or briefly closing it's nostrils until the dog swallows. In some cases reverse sneezing is caused by foreign bodies in the nasal passage (grass blades), irritation from allergies or irritants (pollens, smoke, perfumes), or even tooth root infections. In those cases you should always consult a vet.

If the dog is having repeated attacks of reverse sneezing, your vet may prescribe antihistamines to see if that helps stop the sneezing. When reverse sneezing occurs right after the nose-inoculation against kennel-cough, it would be advisable to give the dog some antibiotics. Most dogs that have infrequent episodes of reverse sneezing, can lead a perfectly normal life, because reverse sneezing is a harmless condition and medical treatment is not necessary. Although it is important not to confuse reverse sneezing with a collapsing trachea or a heart problem. In case of doubt, it is important to have the dog examined by your veterinarian.

Now he did just get the kennel cough vaccine but the vet specifically told me she was NOT going to give the kennel cough vaccine through his nose but instead gave him the shot right there in front of me...

I'm glad to know that it is not serious but I feel bad that he is having this...I hope it doesn't hurt?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

I'm glad to know that it is not serious but I feel bad that he is having this...I hope it doesn't hurt?
    Please remember that while the internet is a great resource to finding out what is wrong with your dog it shouldn't replace a trip to the vet! Even if this describes Duncans symptoms exactly you should still take him to get looked at.
    Last edited by Uabassoon; 06-07-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

It's unlikely due to the vaccine

The injectable kennel cough vaccine is most likely a dead cell preparation. A dog is going to have an immediate allergic reaction to it, or no reaction at all.

At this time of year one has to consider allergies as a possibility. You might try benedryl for a few days to see if that helps. If not then the Vet needs to check the nasal passages.

Eating grass is a way of life for my one dog.

Very true Uabasson!! If nothing else JenniferT9, for your peace of mind it's best to have it checked out.

This sounds terrible, but I thanked the heavens Max had an attack while we were in the vet's office one day. Made me feel better that after the vet saw it he said what we had been doing was right.

I was so glad to hear of another dog having reverse sneezing attacks! My 5 yr old toy poodle has them so bad, that I am at my whits end. All the vet says is to give her benadryl. Hers are really severe at times, and happens all the time. It started out once in a while., now daily several times a day. Don't be too concerned at once in a while. I really hope yours doesn't have this problem all the time. I have never heard of rubbing the throat or shutting the nostrils. Was so glad to hear of any information I can get. Best of Luck Judy
    Judy

Thanks for the advice and info everyone!

I will videotape Duncan next time he does this, if ever. He didn't do it last night at all.
    And I will make a vet appt for him too.
    Duncan and I are so close, I am so aware of his every behavior and attitude and feeling...the grass eating is new as is the "reverse sneezing" so it definitely warrants a trip to the vet for me! Any unusual behavior by him is watched very carefully and I usually drive the veterinarians nuts by bringing him in all the time!!!
    I will let you all know how it goes!

Judy J., first of all welcome to Pet Talk!! Second, I'm sorry to hear that your little pup has these reverse sneezes, they are upsetting to hear. Everything I read about this reverse sneezing says it is much more common in small dogs. That is another worry since Duncan is a very LARGE dog.

Timing seems wierd, but Max had an attack this morning. I tried the gently closing off the nostrils momentarily, he opened his mouth and it was over.

Whew! I hate it when he has those attacks.