Thread: Halti or Gentle Leader

Halti or Gentle Leader

I've been advised to try one of these collars to aid in training our pulling Aussie for our "sidewalk" walks.

Have been reading a lot on the internet about both these 2 types, the halti and the GL. Some people say the halti is better but the GL just has more promotion and better website so they seem to sell more. Others say the GL is better... Is it just simply user preference and they both do the same job?

Any one else use these with any success?....before I go out and buy one....

thanks!
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber

I have a Halti, and it helps a lot. I don't think one is better than the other- they are pretty much the same thing I think.............
    There may be other people here that would know for sure.

Funny you should ask: this weekend we bought a Gentle Leader for our Aussie, and fitted it for him in preparation to use it--but yesterday my DH managed to lose both of our 6-ft training leashes at the park! Arrrgh! Now we gotta go shop around for new leashes....

Once we get things going with that GL, I'll let you know how it works. We chose it over the Halti mostly because it looked similar, but a little better made. It's got good introductory training material in the package as well.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

I used my Halti on my old dog, a shih-tzu mostly for dominance issues per the vet recommendation. It seemed to have no effect whatsoever!! But then again, he was a small dog... Duncan has a gentle leader and it works well for pulling when on the leash. Sometimes I put it on him in the house when he is misbehaving and he calms right down usually. I have found that it hasn't been helpful in training him at all. If it's on, he walks fine. If it's off, he's off and running....

I use the Gentle Leader on some shelter dogs. It REALLY helps, especially with those dogs who are over 100 lbs and like to pull with all their muscle.

I haven't tried a Halti though.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well, we finally bought new leashes and tried out the Gentle Leader on Eli, our Aussie. We were quite a sight walking around the block the first time--he HATED the GL and kept stopping to try to paw it off, or jumping around and flinging his head in all directions! It looked like we were trying to break a young colt! But he never once lunged ahead of us, which is what we want. Then, the second time around the block, everything clicked for him: he figured out that walking nicely next to me doesn't pull his head, and he was a perfect heeler. I'm sure the Halti would do the same job, so I can't really recommend one over the other. But the GL sure does keep Eli from pulling us down the sidewalk!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

I have put in an order with our local pet store for the GL. Seems that not many stores carry it....most have only the Halti here in the great (not so) white north. I decided on the GL because it is totally adjustable and the perfect fit really counts with these.

I can imagine she won't be happy the first time we put this on her. We have a harness type one that she absolutely HATES! She does this wierd howl/whine and jumps all over the place so I will assume she's not going to like the GL either.

Will let you all know how things go.
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    We first had Cookie on the Halti, but now we have a Gentle Leader because we don't have to take it off when she goes to play with other dogs. Another thing is, that most people here think she's a fighting dog when she wears it or they start accusing me of treating my dog bad with that 'thing' around her mouth. I choose the easy way out and have the Gentle Leader when we go for leash walks.